What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Children's book with little girl who dresses scruffy, read it in the 80's but probably older

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The illustrations were in ochre, yellowish and brown hues. A little girl with shoulder length hair, wearing a scruffy sweater and trousers. Her mother want's her to dress up more nicely and brush her hair. She gives it a try but doesn't quite succeed. In the end she manages to dress up to her mom's standards with a dress and nicely combed hair.
I read it in the 80's but I think it was older.

message 2: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 302 comments Do you remember any possible bits of plot?

Did she have a family you can remember?

When she says she tries to dress up but doesn't succeed, what do you mean? Does she get the clothes wrong, or someone makes fun of her or something?

Setting - farm, town, etc?

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15703 comments Was it a picture book or a children's novel?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a picture book. I don't remember a family, only the mother, and I don't thing they show her, I think it was just her voice and all the pictures were of the girl. Setting unclear. Maybe suburbs?
The girl was trying to make a ponytail and wear nicer clothes but her hair has still off at the first try so she had to try again. Nobody was making fun of her. She just didn't meet her mom's criteria for "properly dressed"

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Rainbowheart wrote: "Amanda?

Nice Little Girls?"

It's none of these two but thank you!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Deleted account; moving to now we'll never know.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15703 comments Aw, too bad. I was hoping we'd find this one.