YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Poison
This topic is about Poison
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Poison by Bridget Zinn - Starting August 10th 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riddhi (new)

Riddhi Mazumder (goodreadscomriddhi_desiderium) | 670 comments Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments Hey all! Just started in on Poison. Have the rest of you had a chance to start yet?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Kerri! Just starting the book now!

Jamie | 11096 comments In hope to start i a day or two. Fell a bit behind this month on books.

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments No worries, Jamie! I'm behind too. I actually misplaced the book...whoops. I am determined to read a good chunk of it today!

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments So this book is an accidental re-read for me. Somehow I didn't realize I had read it! But I honestly didn't remember too much about it, though I feel that I am enjoying it much more this time around! Sometimes I do wish there was a little bit more room in the book's timeline for further development of relationships and characters. It seems rushed sometimes.

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments @Kyra, what do you think so far?

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments So let's talk characters! I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book at the time of writing this.

(view spoiler)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments So I finished the book. I did really enjoy it. I didn't really remember much of anything from my first reading of the book so most of it was like reading it for the first time. So I kept wanting to read to find out answers to my questions and see what was going to happen. I liked the idea behind this book and the characters. I just feel like it could have been fleshed out more thoroughly.

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments Next step for me is to write my review! I guess I just wish that there had been more to this book because the idea behind it was fun. @Kyra, I know you said that you wish there was more world building in the book, and I agree.

There were also some cringe-worthy moments, like whole rooms of people bursting into spontaneous applause for Kyra when moments before they all were terrified of her/despised her. I don't know. Too many tropes I guess.

message 11: by Jamie (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie | 11096 comments Ugh, I fell so far behind. Ch 3(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11096 comments Ch 10 (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11096 comments Ch 21 (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11096 comments Done (view spoiler)