Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Regarding Comic Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pinar (new)

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Dear fellow librarians,

Recently I have encountered a problem and would very much like your advice.

A few days ago I logged in to add some of the books I registered here before to my shelves, and found out they were deleted. Shortly after I learned that comic books without ISBNs have a tendency to be deleted. A friend gave me a link of the "Non-book items" help page, and I read that individual comics shouldn't be added here. Which, of course, made sense since they weren't books.

However, there are some comic books I have that do not have ISBN numbers. Some of them are like that because they are old, some of them are like that because (I think) the publisher didn't care to give them one. The books I'm talking about are in Turkish, and none of them have Kindle versions. However, they are mostly translations of books from other languages, like French, Italian or English, and those versions of them can be found here. It's not always possible to add them as editions, because they may be two English volumes combined in one, or the lack of information on the book prevents me to be 100% sure. But I can assure you that all of them are books, and not individual comics.

This is where I'm asking for your advice. Is there anything I should/can do to prevent further deletion? I'm spending good time and effort to catalog those books, and I would hate to log in one day and find out half of them are removed because of this.

Thanks for any/all advice.

message 2: by Buddyfede (new)

Buddyfede | 115 comments Are you talking about TPs (trade paperbacks) ? Are those items available in amazon?

message 3: by Pinar (new)

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Some of them are TPs, yes, and some are hardcovers. Some of the new ones are available on Amazon, but not all, and not the old ones either.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jul 22, 2018 09:20PM) (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
Pınar wrote: "Some of them are TPs, yes, and some are hardcovers."

They I believe the term you want is "graphic novel", rather than "comic book". Graphic novels usually have an ISBN.

message 5: by Pinar (new)

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments You see, that's where I have the problem. Some of the translated graphic novels do not have an ISBN. What do I do then? Their English versions do, but sometimes the book I'm adding is two (or more) single books combined together, and then there isn't a version of it in its original language, either, so I can't add it as an edition.

message 6: by Buddyfede (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:59AM) (new)

Buddyfede | 115 comments You could add those on amazon with the ASIN code instead.
Also you could look for editions on other languages to see if the contents match yours. (e.g. Panini comics does a good job editing Marvel titles as TPs and HCs)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Buddyfede wrote: "You could add those on amazon with the ASIN code instead."

No, on Goodreads we only use ASINs for Kindle and Audible editions.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Pınar wrote: "You see, that's where I have the problem. Some of the translated graphic novels do not have an ISBN. What do I do then?"

I suggest using the words graphic novel in the first sentence of the description. However, if it still looks like a single-edition comic, it may get deleted.

message 9: by Pinar (new)

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Ok, thank you very much.