Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Alexandra Ivy
This topic is about Alexandra Ivy
2018 Challenge Archive > FAC: Alexandra Ivy (August 2018)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments August - Alexandra Ivy

Alexandra Ivy is the New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of romantic suspense, and paranormal and erotic romance. She has also written historical romance under the names Deborah Raleigh and Debbie Raleigh.

Alexandra grew up in a small town in the midwest, and doesn't remember a time that she didn't love reading. When she discovered the local library for the first time, she thought she was in paradise, and spent many summer days surrounded by stacks of Nancy Drew mysteries. Over the years she moved on to Victoria Holt, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, and J.R.R. Tolkien just to name a few. Even with this love for books and reading, she didn’t plan to grow up and become a writer. She was much more interested in a career as an actress on Broadway. She graduated from Truman University with a degree in theatre and performed for several years in summer-stock productions.

After marrying her college sweetheart she decided to put her career on hold while they started a family. After the arrival of her two sons, Chance and Alex, she found herself seeking a new creative outlet and decided to turn her occasional scribblings into a genuine effort to get published. It was several years and many rejections before she finally sold her first book. The rejections she received were painful, but they did help her learn her craft, and just as importantly, they gave her the opportunity to enjoy writing in a wide variety of genres as she searched for her voice. Her first book, Lord Carlton's Courtship, was published in January, 2000 under the name Debbie Raleigh. Her writing now spans a large variety of romance sub-genres, everything from erotica to romantic suspense to historicals. She is a five-time RT Book Award Finalist and appears regularly on multiple best-seller lists.

When not writing, Alexandra enjoys travel, spending time with her family, and of course, reading. She lives in Missouri with her husband and sons.

Alexandra's GR pages can be found here: Alexandra Ivy, Deborah Raleigh, and Debbie Raleigh

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Alexandra Ivy.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of August.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments **

message 3: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments **

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments I'm in, and I'm a C. I'll be reading (listening to) When Darkness Comes.

message 5: by Loz (new)

Loz | 57 comments I'm a C, and I'll be reading Pretend You're Safe

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments I'm a C and When Darkness Comes looks intriguing to me too.

message 7: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments I'm a C and know nothing about this author. Is there a series that is recommended to start with?

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Connie N. wrote: "I'm a C and know nothing about this author. Is there a series that is recommended to start with?"

Personally, I looked to see what is available in audio, because audios just work easier for me. And then read the precis to see which one interested me the most. She is a new author to me too, so I can't help beyond that.

message 9: by Connie N. (last edited Jul 25, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments OK, I'm in and will try When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy . We'll compare notes, Karen and MK.

message 10: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Sounds good Connie!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I finished When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy and it was ok. The dialogue between the two main characters got on my nerves after awhile because he kept calling her "lover" and I was like, OK I GET IT FIND A NEW NICKNAME! Maybe the next's books male main character will have a bigger vocabulary lol. I started out as a C and ended up a B.

message 12: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments Suzanne wrote: "I finished When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy and it was ok. The dialogue between the two main characters got on my nerves after awhile because he kept calling her "lover" and I was like, OK I G..."

I read this one too, and also found it just ok. My biggest peeve about it was also a word usage thing, but a different word. I'm hoping by the second book the author figured out the difference between when "upon" was appropriate, and when it should just be "on". Example: "I never feed upon my guests. It is rather bad for business." So, he doesn't sit on his guests while he feeds on them??? =P That's just one of many examples - drove me a little nuts by the end of the book.

I started as a 'C' and am ending as a 'B' because I'm intrigued enough about some of the other characters to at least try the second book at some point. If the word usage doesn't improve though, that will be where I stop.

message 13: by Loz (new)

Loz | 57 comments I read Pretend You're Safe, started as a C and finished as a B+. Enjoyed trying to work out the who-done-it and while I'm not desperately looking for more of this author's works, I'd certainly like to try another.

message 14: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments I finished, just in time!

When Darkness Comes by Alexandra Ivy - 8/31/18 ♥♥♥
When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy

This is a new-to-me author/series, and I quite liked it. There was some good vs. evil stuff, some action (both fighting and romantic), enough to keep me interested.

Karen, I totally agree about the on vs upon as well as the around vs about. I had to look it up, and it seems that those words are pretty much interchangeable, but it was very distracting. Was Ivy trying to sound more high-class? Or is she British perhaps? Or just pretentious? And, Suzanne, the "lover" thing bothered me too. Sheesh! Can't you get a little more creative with the nickname?

I didn't particularly care for Abby. She was annoyingly dumb sometimes and annoyingly bitchy at other times. But Dante was cute and funny.

I started as a "C" and end as a "B" because I look forward to reading Viper's story.

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Well, I'm right there with all of you! I finished When Darkness Comes on the 27th and it was just ok. I don't feel compelled to read more, but I'm not opposed to it either. I think Connie hit on what bothered me the most, though all of your complaints crossed my mind, the formal aspect to the writing. I would vote for pretentious! It just didn't flow smoothly. There were very few contractions in the story, which most of us use more than not. It was almost as if she had a word count and was working hard to get there. And I got the point where I would hear a sentence and try to figure if it would have been better with fewer words.

So I start a C and end a low B, I am ambivalent on whether I read more.