CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > w/o July 20 to 26, 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3531 comments Mod
Greetings readers!!

It is hard to believe that we are in the later days of July. Somehow it seems that the summer months go faster! The days are warm and it is the perfect time for reading.

Have those with reader's block gotten back on track? What are you reading? What is next?

Have a great day!!

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jul 20, 2018 05:35AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments Good morning and happy summer! I am continuing to tackle my NetGalleys as I requested way too many, never dreaming I would actually get them all. This week, I read Trickster Drift and I liked it just as much as Son of a Trickster. It's outlandish, which I don't usually enjoy, but Robinson somehow makes it work.

I finished the audiobook Little Fires Everywhere, which will be discussed by my book club at our upcoming meeting. I wasn't a fan of Celeste Ng's first book, so was pleasantly surprised by this one. It provides much fuel for discussion, which is always best for a book club selection I think!

I just started listening to The Sun Also Rises yesterday, and I must admit that it's disappointing thus far. Let's hope it picks up!

message 3: by Story (last edited Jul 20, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) It is hard to believe that we are in the later days of July. Somehow it seems that the summer months go The Bulgari Connectionfaster!

I know...it's one of life's great disappointments that February seems to last about 6 months and July passes in about 6 hours.

My reading block continues for new books so I've been re-reading old favs: Kate Atkinson's One Good Turn; Hilary Mantel's memoir Giving Up the Ghost and her short story collection The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher and finally, Fay Weldon's The Bulgari Connection.

Wishing everyone a happy, lazy July weekend with lots of outdoor reading.

message 4: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) @ Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ , good luck with all those netgalley books. I had the same experience when I first signed up and felt completely overwhelmed. Now I try to never request more than one or two (which can be hard!)

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments TGIF!!

This week I finished Anatomy of a Miracle, which was an okay read for me. I think this book couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be. I also finished Loving: Interracial Intimacy in America and the Threat to White Supremacy, which was interesting. And I read a short novel, Fire Sermon, which I didn't care for.

All of the above were read for a book fest I'm attending next month and I feel like I'm already burning out on required reading, so I decided to pick up Mother's Milk, the fourth Patrick Melrose novel, for a complete change of pace.

But I'm also reading The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South for the book fest. :-)

I can't believe the Booker long list is being announced next week. It's almost award season again!

message 6: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Friday everyone!
This week I finished The Story of a New Name and The Finishing School in paper, both light reads, perfect for the summer. Joanna Goodman's latest book The Home for Unwanted Girls is getting lots of buzz and one of my co-worker's sister apparently went to school with her!
Started The Sisters Brothers and still reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Also has The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper to read for my in-person book club and Educated: A Memoir has just come through my hold at the library.

Enjoy your weekend!

message 7: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jul 20, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments Some of you last week were discussing the Jalna series, which sounded interesting to me. I just discovered that I already own the eBook The Building Of Jalna. Woot! Woot! I do not recall how I came to own it. Oh, the advantages of hoarding books....

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 113 comments Wow...I'm actually checking in on Friday for a change! I am usually really late to the party. This week I managed to finish The Virgin Cure, which I really enjoyed. I wasn't terribly impressed with Ami McKay's previous book, but this one is much better. I am now reading The Boat Who Wouldn't Float to satisfy the Farley Mowat requirement for the Bingo challenge. It is a nice light read, and very entertaining. My library hold for Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows just arrived, so I guess that will next up for me. Yesterday was my last day of work until September, so hopefully I will find time for lots of reading now!

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 73 comments Happy Friday everyone! I'm off with a few of my book club ladies for a weekend of wine tasting in Niagara-on-the-Lake (we jokingly call ourselves "Wine Club"). Perhaps not a whole lot of reading will happen, but the company will be fine.

I finished off Heart Berries: A Memoir this week. A short book that packs a whole lot of punch, and is certainly in no way an easy read.

Now flipping over to A Little Life which I've been wanting to pick up for a while now, and was recently given to me as a gift. I'm only 50 pages in, and I'm sucked in completely.

message 10: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Colleen wrote: "Happy Friday everyone! I'm off with a few of my book club ladies for a weekend of wine tasting in Niagara-on-the-Lake (we jokingly call ourselves "Wine Club"). Perhaps not a whole lot of reading wi..."

I love "wine" club, LOL!!

message 11: by ❀ Susan (new)

Greetings everyone!!

After a dry spell, I did finish Stephen King's latest novel, The Outsider which was creepy. King sure has a vibrant imagination and although it was a think tome, I did enjoy it.

I am in between audio books and could use a suggestion for a good one which is available on hoopla or at the library.

I have a pile of library books that are beckoning me and am midway through a reread of The English Patient. i have a couple days off next week (excited to go see the Rocky Horror Picture show in Stratford) and looking forward to a couple weeks in August so I hope that i can get my reading back on track!!

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra | 652 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Some of you last week were discussing the Jalna series, which sounded interesting to me. I just discovered that I already own the eBook The Building Of Jalna. Woot! Woot! I do not rec..."

Allison, that's a terrific discovery. I hope you enjoy it.

I find all sorts of surprise books on my ereader.

message 14: by Petra (last edited Jul 20, 2018 07:53PM) (new)

Petra | 652 comments Happy weekend! I have next week off of work and am looking forward to a quiet week at home. The back yard needs a lot of attention so I'll be out there a lot.

This week I finished the fourth of the Cazalet series, Casting Off, and am looking forward to the final book of the series.

I also finished listening to We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which I listened to while out jogging. This was a re-listen and I liked it even better than the first time. It's a great gothic story.

I am still listening to The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. and really enjoying it. It's a mix of time travel, witches, a group of friends/co-workers and some interesting experiences. It's light and humorous and a lot of fun to listen to.

I started reading Other People's Houses today. I have to get it back to the library quickly and hope to breeze through it this weekend.

message 15: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) @Petra, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. sounds fun. I've put it on hold at the library. Enjoy your vacation week!

message 16: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 200 comments I’m spending a week in Calgary to help out with my new grandson, and enjoying city life for a change (especially bakeries and delis). I just finished a fabulous older novel, China Court: The Hours of a Country House by Rumer Golden. And a friend just loaned me her entire collection of Gail Bowen mysteries so I’ll be digging into those next!

message 17: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Elinor - that sounds like a terrific way to spend a week!!

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra | 652 comments Storyheart wrote: "@Petra, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. sounds fun. I've put it on hold at the library. Enjoy your vacation week!"

Thank you, I will.
D.O.D.O is fun; I hope you enjoy it, too.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 201 comments Hi! I hope everyone is having an awesome summer! Some great books mentioned today. Three more on my TBR. I am having a great summer, but haven't been reading hardly at all.

The Marrow Thieves was a DNF for me. Might pick it up again in the winter. The only book I did read so far in July was Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton. I really enjoyed it! Four more to read for my July list. But the pool is calling my name. LOL!

Have a great week!

message 20: by Emmkay (last edited Jul 21, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments @Elinor, I love Rumer Godden but hadn’t heard of China Court - I’ve added it to my TBR list, thanks!

I read The Boat People this week, and found it very compelling. I’m continuing the same theme with Homes: A Refugee Story, an ‘as told to’ story of a young refugee to Canada, created with the help of his ESL teacher. I’m on holiday for a while as of today - it’s been a long time coming and I’m looking forward to relaxing with some good books!

message 21: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 406 comments Just got back from a week at the cottage, so I got a lot of reading done.
I had won a giveaway last summer of The Address, but never got around to reading it until now. It is a dual timeline historical fiction and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I also read Annihilationwhich is quite a well done science fiction read, the first in a series, and I will definitley be follwing up with the next book.

I read a quick read by Stephen King, which was adequate, Cycle of the Werewolf

and I read Shakespeare: The World as Stage which was much more enjoyable than I had expected.

I am listening to The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag which is the 2nd in the Flavia DeLuce series, and I am not enjoying this at all, and am thinking of abandoning the rest of it

message 22: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 158 comments Hi Everyone! I feel like I'm been away forever. Hope you're all having a great summer!

Just finished Thomas King's The Back of the Turtle and really enjoyed his style of fiction. I will seek out more. Which one did this group read? Was it Green Grass, Running Water ?

Lots of family travel has meant audiobooks! Finished the first 2 Harry Potter books and listening to the 3rd now. Love sharing this with the kids. Our oldest has read them all but the younger hadn't yet so this is a super introduction and hopefully will make them pick up up the paper copies. My eldest had her head buried in the Hunger Games series while camping - flew through them all. Have you read them? I'm inclined but where do I fit them on this huge TBR list??? ;)

A friend lent me Every Note Played which is calling my name. So is my next bookclub read, The Space Between Us and I'd like to get back to the Tragically Hip story The Never-Ending Present ... it's a toss up on what will next get my attention.

A question from my daughter for you on the Canadian kid Lit Dust by arthur slade. Anyone read this Saskatchewan set depression-era novel? Feedback is it's a slow start but I want her to keep going!

Happy reading all!