Book lovers discussion

Specific Books > The Host *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
For those of you who have read it :)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Alllll righty Jo. What did you think of Wanderer? What did you think of the book in general? What part finally drew you into the story? It does start out rather slow but when Wanderer runs away that's when it all sped up for me...well, once she was found in the desert really...

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah when Wanderer decided that she loved Jamie and Jarod and decided to go find them and escape the seeker was when i found myself not being able to put it down. I loved Wanda but sometimes i just wanted her to fight back when people were hurting her. I know it was against her nature and all though. I liked that Ian loved her for her and not just her body like Jarod. Ian annoyed me when he first started to like Wanda because he was really clingy but then he got really sweet and nice :) I also loved Jamie he was great. I am glad that they managed to save Mel and Wanda. I heard that its going to be a trilogy so i am excited for what comes next. I could talk forever about it but i will give you chance to say what you think lol

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I heard it's going to be a trilogy as well and I am looking forward to it! I felt the same way about Ian at first but I loved the part when he gently held Wanderer as she truly was (the glow worm thing) and still really loved her. I also really loved Jamie. His faith in his sister and in Wanda was so touching. At frist I would get frustrated with Wanderer as well for not fighting back but in the end it was what made her who she was. I loved that Wanda ended up in this delicate little, fragile body. I thought that was hilarious. I thought it was funny when she had to reach up to get something and someone would get it down for her and pat her head as if she was a child. I don't know why, I just loved those bits. I was also glad that they were able to save Mel. I thought it was a nice touch. I just wonder how the trilogy will end because obviously even if all the aliens leave the humans then a lot of the humans will just die because their esssences have faded. And I don't want all the aliens to leave. Like Wanda...and the male alien at the end they bump into...what will become of them I wonder? Can't wait to read the next installment!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah i also loved when Ian said he held her in his hand and she was beautiful. I kind of didnt like that they put her in a fragile body cos although she was kind and gentle and non violent, she also went out of her way to protect them even if it cost her her life and now they treat her as if she is a child after all she has done for them. I guess the next book will be about meeting other survivours and probably about defending themselves and trying to save more people. I kind of hope it wont be aslong as that book but thats just me and my love of smaller books lol I liked that Jamie loved Wanda and Mel while they were in the same body whereas Ian loved Wanda and Jarod loved Mel. I cant imagine how frustrating it would be to be trapped in your own body with out any control!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments You know I didn't even think about Wanda being put in a weaker body that way but now that you mention I totally agree. At the time it was humorous but I totally see what you're talking about! This is exactly why I love the discussions. It makes you look at things a little differently.

It's funny that you mention how frustrating it would be for Mel because I thought about this at length as well. I imagine it would be like being in a coma. Everyone still talks to you as if you can hear them but you can't say or do anything...honestly, I think I would go mad...

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah thats a good description. Like if you could hear everything but couldnt react or respond. Extremely frustrating! I felt bad for her because she was pretty much dead and she had to watch all her friends and family start to like Wanda and watch Wanda take her place and be completely powerless. I didnt want them to save the seeker though because she was annoying. I like that they put that soul back in the body of Kyles girlfriend when they couldnt save her.

I know what you mean about the discussions, people have different views and see things differently so its always interesting to see the story in a different way!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I had mixed feelings about Kyle's girlfriend. I felt like mourning her death because that's basically what happened to her...but then the new soul took on all of her memories which was a highly confusing philosophical question. Kind of like the proverbial question, if there is a boat out on the ocean that everyone passes every day and every day the crew replaced a piece of the ship and starts putting it together in another building so that after a few years the original pieces are completely put together in the room then is that boat on the water still considered that same boat that had been there for years or years or is the boat in the other room the real boat? I still don't know the answer to that question and so I have no idea how I felt about Kyle's girlfriend. I was glad that he put the soul back into the body but if I were Kyle I would be so confused as to whether or not I really loved her or not because her essence is gonel....but the soul was a sweet one so will he fall for her all over again or will he be pretending that she is the same girl he had always dated? I hope Meyers addresses it in her next book because I am very interested to see where she will go with this story line...

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah but before he realised that they could save people he had already known that his girlfriend was gone and yeah this new soul being in her body would have been confusing but it gave him a chance to feel for a soul when before he never would have. I also hope she addresses this in the next book and that he doesnt just fall in love with her because she is as close to his girlfriend as he can get

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jo wrote: "Yeah but before he realised that they could save people he had already known that his girlfriend was gone and yeah this new soul being in her body would have been confusing but it gave him a chance..."

Totall agreed! It would make for an interesting twist if he fell for the new soul seeing as he was such an avid hater of the body snatchers...can't wait to read the next one! I am looking forward to this book more then any other Meyers book!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah there seems to be more to these books than Twilight. I am very excited about the next book. Does anyone have any idea of when it might be out?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments non :\

message 13: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments I haven't heard anything about there being another book after The Host, but i was hoping that there would be, because The Host has an awesome ending, and you can imagine some drama thats gotta be going on in the next book. Does anyone know any details about it??

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this book. Like most of you, it was a little slow for me at the beginning, but I loved the storyline. I enjoyed this book more than the Twilight series and am very glad I finally got around to reading it.

message 15: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments Yea, I think it was better than Twilight, and I did put off reading it...

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I just got it & am looking forward to reading it. I only read the first Twilight book & wasn't impressed with the writing. I heard this was better. I hope so as it is too big, if it becomes a chore.

message 17: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Jim, I liked the story but Stephenie Meyer could have used a better editor. I don't think The Host needed to be as long as it is. She can be a bit repetitive.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Darn. Thanks for the heads up, Sadie. That's something I hate. Meyer's description of Edward's hard chest about drove me out of my mind. When I think of him, I think of a sparkly, bony chest.

message 19: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments Jim wrote: "Darn. Thanks for the heads up, Sadie. That's something I hate. Meyer's description of Edward's hard chest about drove me out of my mind. When I think of him, I think of a sparkly, bony chest. "

hahahaha. i can relate. although i found that part quite entertaining...but deffiniately repetitive...

message 20: by Tracy S (new)

Tracy S | 42 comments I had a hard time getting into this book at first. The beginning was slow for me. Then, it picked up and I was not wanting to put it down. Then, I was disappointed as it went back to being boring for me towards the end. I did like the story overall, but the ending of the book seemed to be too predictable for me.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I knew that they wouldn't let Wanda die. That part was quite predictable.

message 22: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments Yeah, true that. But the ending was awesome...with Burns..hopefully the next book wont dissapoint..

message 23: by Tracy S (new)

Tracy S | 42 comments I'll would definately read the next one

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Me too. I can't wait for it to come out

message 25: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments Does anyone know any details? i checked out her website and it didnt even say she was working on a second book..?

message 26: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments I loved The Host. I'm a Twilight fan too, but much preferred this. I also found it slow to get into, but once she escaped, I couldn't put it down!
Once I finished I wanted to know about sequels, and only found this from wikipedia:
"In March 2008, Stephenie Meyer stated that a sequel to The Host was "almost done". She said in an interview that, if published, the first sequel would be entitled The Soul and the second The Seeker."
So, fingers crossed!

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I am looking forward to the sequel as well, Harriet!

message 28: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Gosh I know, I hope she does!
If those are the titles of the books, I wonder if she'll change narrator at all. The Soul could easily still be Wanda... but The Seeker...? I hope it is still Wanda, it freaked me out when Breaking Dawn suddenly switched to Jacob!

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah i hope she doesn't switch! I think it should always be Wanda. I hope she doesn't let down the first book because it was really good. I can't wait to read the next one though. They are both on goodreads, you can add them to you tbr list.

message 30: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Ooh are they already on here? Does that mean they've been confirmed?

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I guess so. I don't see why she would put them on here if she wasn't doing it. Inless theres a way that other people can put them on and it wasn't anything to do with her. I don't know how it works.

message 32: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Oh ok, I didn't realise it was only the authors that could put books on here. Even more excited now then!

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I'm not sure if thats right or not lol but i am excited too :)

message 34: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Jo wrote: "I guess so. I don't see why she would put them on here if she wasn't doing it. Inless theres a way that other people can put them on and it wasn't anything to do with her. I don't know how it works."

I don't think Stephenie Meyer put them here, since she isn't really only goodreads, but rather it is maintained by goodreads librarians. At least that's what's mentioned on her goodreads page.

I sure hope though that we get the sequels in the series real soon.

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Oh right. I wasn't sure how it worked. I hope they come soon too!

message 36: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments ditto :)

message 37: by A. (new)

A. (aekirk) | 4 comments I loved this. I thought it was better written than Twilight. She did a great job putting together a complicated situation, making it believeable and having you love the characters. I'm glad to see this is going to be a movie but don't know how they are going to do it well with the two characters in the one body...but hopefully they'll make it work.

Meyer once again cleverly set it up so that while the characters were yearning, sex was off the table. She is good at that!

I'm anxious to read the sequels!

message 38: by Harriet (last edited Oct 28, 2009 04:50AM) (new)

Harriet | 81 comments Alyssa wrote: "I loved this. I thought it was better written than Twilight. She did a great job putting together a complicated situation, making it believeable and having you love the characters. I'm glad to see ..."

I thought it was much better written than Twilight as well. Twilight has the good plot and I love the series, but this has a great plot, is well-written AND is quite thought-provoking.
I can't wait for the film. I assume it will be with just two distinct voices... it's going to be hard to do though. I hope they don't butcher the whole idea of the conflict between Wanda and Melanie that no one else really sees just because it's difficult to portray on-screen.

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I think it will be hard work to turn into a movie and i am a bit worried that they will mess it up but i can't wait to see it!

message 40: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 22 comments Yea, hopefully they won't kill it..i have to admit i was disapointed in Twilight..although i have already booked my tickets for New Moon :D

message 41: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Zainab wrote: "Yea, hopefully they won't kill it..i have to admit i was disapointed in Twilight..although i have already booked my tickets for New Moon :D"

I plan on seeing New Moon as well, but like you Zainab, I was disappointed in the movie Twilight.

message 42: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments I think I would have been disappointed in the Twilight film... if it wasn't for Robert Pattinson...
I'll definitely be seeing New Moon despite it probably being hideously inaccurate in places :)

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniex88) | 76 comments I loved The Host and I know that I shouldn't be comparing it with the Twilight books but I enjoyed it so much more than any of those. I thought the characterization was better and it had a more interesting and thought-provoking plot. I also thought that the characters in The Host much more likeable.

"In March 2008, Stephenie Meyer stated that a sequel to The Host was "almost done".[7:] She said in an interview that, if published, the first sequel would be entitled The Soul and the second The Seeker.[8:] In November 2009, she said, "I'd like to eventually have The Host be part of a trilogy. That's one of the projects I'd really like to get to in the next year or so."[9:]" - Wikipedia.

I'm so excited for the sequels. I liked the ending of The Host but I would love to read more. The movie is to be released in 2011. I'm kind of excited for that, too.

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I don't want to wait that long!

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniex88) | 76 comments I don't really want to wait that long either. I just hope they'll be worth the wait!

message 46: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah me too!

message 47: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 9 comments I fell in love since the first time I've read it, and I think it is better than The Twilight Saga, but I wouldn't want to read it for the second time continuosly, (give it a rest before I start again) not like what I did with The Twilight Saga, and why is that, I don't know, haha...

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I don't think i could re read it anytime soon either. It was too long.

message 49: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 9 comments Yeah, the good part is way too back...lol