International Book Club discussion

1 view

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 640 comments Mod
I love Shakespeare as much as the next Literature reader and actor. Fact I used to read Shakespeare for fun and one of my favorite plays of his is Hamlet. It is my all time favorite story of Tragedy by Shakespeare and I love all the renditions. I love the 1996 film rendition with Kenneth Branagh. I have a copy of that film and it can only be played in Britain. I live in Canada.

I read Hamley long ago and decided to visit the Prince of Denmark once again. Hamlet. The book I have had the original and the modern text. I only care for the original as it seems to make more sense and be more dramatic. I love how the play opens with Barnardo and Francisco switching guard. Waiting for Marcellus to come along to join Barnardo on with guard. He is accompanied by Horatio when he does join Barnardo. Horatio, being educated, is informed of the ghost who appears at night as the dead king, Hamlet. Now not the prince who is also named Hamlet but the father of the prince. They try to speak to the ghost who does not respond. Horatio, being the close friend of the prince, informs that Hamlet should be made known of the visitor who appears as his father dressed in battle gear. The beginning of the tragic path that our young prince would be set on.

message 2: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Hamlet

Being the young prince the play is set on, we know he has some major trust issues. He resents his mother for marrying his uncle after the king died. He has major disgust towards Gertrude, his mother, and major hatred to Claudius his uncle. He obsesses over avenging his father's death but thinks reason why not to kill king Claudius just yet.

message 3: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Claudius

Why is the villain always the uncle? Oh wait that is just a resemblance to The Lion King. Typical Disney. Anyways we know Claudius killed Hamlet, the King, not prince. We know he marries Gertrude, Hamlet's mother, the queen. Major incest there. He sees Hamlet The Prince of Denmark as a great threat and plans to be rid of him. He does show human feelings and remorse even though he is a monster. THAT MONSTER!

message 4: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Gertrude

Totally has abandonment issues. We know little of how she feels and what she thinks. She never leaves the side of Claudius. I mean never.

message 5: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Polonius

Lord Chamberlain of Claudius's court, and father to Laertes and mentally insane Ophelia. He has good intentions but goes about them the wrong way. He is also incapable of figuring out what Hamlet is up to. He is no Sherlock that is for sure.

message 6: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Horatio

Got to love the brave close friend of Hamlet's as he always has his back. Hamlet values and trusts Horatio more than any other character. He lives to tell Hamlet's story because someone has to in this play.

message 7: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Ophelia

Hamlet's love and daughter of Polonius. Obedient to her father but is used by him to spy on Hamlet. She goes mad after her dad dies. A perfect match made in heaven.

message 8: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Laertes

Spends his time in France but is passionate and quick of action. He's a foil of reflective and agonized Hamlet. Also is spied on by his father, Polonius.

message 9: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Fortinbras

Young Prince of Norway also named after his father. Does no one name their kids after anyone else other than themselves? He also wishes to avenge his fathers honor by attacking Denmark. Hamlet does admire his determination to fight for no reason.

The Ghost

The one character that starts it all, that makes shit happen. Accuses Claudius of murdering him. Although it is entirely uncertain whether ghost is what he appears to be. Hamlet thinks it trickery of The Beast and temptation to murder and the character is never resolved.

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern

Bumbling courtiers and former friends of Hamlet. They are summoned by his evil uncle to discover the cause of Hamlet's strange behavior. If you ask me, Claudius is paranoid.

Osric

What a fool Osric is. Bumbling fool. He summons Hamlet to his duel with Laertes. He is the one guy no one understands.

Voltimand & Cornelius

Just two courtiers that Claudius gets to do his fighting for him.

Marcellus & Barnardo

Hey! Bros! The ones who see the ghost first. You know, strolling along ramparts kf Elsinore. The ones summon Horatio to come witness. Marcellus is the one who is with Hamlet whe is to bare witness the paranormal character.

Francisco

You know the soldier no one cares about? Yeah! That's him.

Reynaldo

Just Polonius's spy on Laertes

message 10: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

It has been oh so long since I have read Hamlet and still I thoroughly enjoyed it. Still my all time favorite Shakespeare Play to read just cause it brings a lot of shit up. It is so messed up that I love it. Good ol Classic Will. A story of tragedy and this one being the trump of them all. If you want a good literature read and enjoy shakespeare then this is the read for you. Note mine has both modern and original english. I read the original Shakespearean version as it should be read.