The Catholic Book Club discussion

General > Recent purchases

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen I just purchased True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin by St. Louis de Montfort True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin by St. Louis de Montfort. Has anyone else purchased something new?

message 2: by Kerstin (last edited Jul 19, 2018 04:41PM) (new)

Kerstin | 100 comments Several things, all in German :) I was recently back for a family visit, and there are two favorite Catholic bookshops in the area, one at a convent, and the other at a monastery. Needles to say, I had a field day :) Let's see if I can pull up English translations...

Joseph Ratzinger: The Yes of Jesus Christ: Spiritual Exercises in Faith, Hope, and Love
Der Gott des Glaubens und der Gott der Philosophen (The God of Faith and the God of the Philosophers) This one was on sale for 50 cents :)

Anslem Grün: Der Himmel beginnt in Dir. Das Wissen der Wüstenväter für heute. It is a book about the knowledge of the desert fathers and what they can teach us today.

Romano Guardini: Vom Leben des Glaubens (The Life of Faith, about the question of what happens when we have faith)
Vom Sinn Der Schwermut (On the Meaning/Sense of Melancholy)

Of course this is on top of a heap of not yet read books I own. Though when I make these visits, the temptation is too great!

message 3: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments I just purchased Booked for Life The Bibliographic Memoir of an Accidental Apologist by Karl Keating.

So agree about that To Read pile!

message 4: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 92 comments I've ordered Exiles, by Ron Hansen, from Amazon books. We have been studying the work of Gerard Manley Hopkins in the Catholic Thought group and this book fits in perfectly with our discussions. In Exiles Ron Hansen interweaves two narratives: the story of the life of the young Hopkins and an account of the fate of the five nuns who died aboard the doomed steamship Deutschland, the event which inspired Hopkins, as a Jesuit priest, to write his masterpiece, "The Wreck of the Deutschland."

Ron Hansen is Gerard Manley Hopkins Professor of Arts and Humanities at the University of Santa Clara in California.

message 5: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Interesting Frances!

message 6: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 92 comments The book came today. I am thrilled with it. As a coda at the end, Hopkins includes "The Wreck of the Deutschland" in full. But in the epilogue just before it, Ron Hansen describes the funeral of Gerard Manley Hopkins and includes this sentence from a letter written by his friend Robert Bridges to another friend:
"That dear Gerard was overworked, unhappy and would never have done anything great seems to give no solace."

I had to read that sentence twice. "Would never have done anything great. . ." : the most brilliant poet in Jesuit history, one of the most memorable poets in English history -- and this was the judgment not only of a contemporary, but of a friend. Exiles is a very apt title for the book. The five doomed nuns on the Deutschland were exiles, yes, but so very certainly during his brief lifetime was Gerard Manley Hopkins.

message 7: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Oh all your purchases sound so very interesting. I'm going to have to check them all out!

message 8: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 245 comments After reading the Sword and Serpent Trilogy, I wanted to know more about the female saints in the story. I have since acquired both Evelyn Waugh's Helena and Louis de Wohl's The Living Wood. Trying to find a good life of St. Catherine of Alexandria--found one that's a bit over my budget. I am reading Bishop Barron's To Light a Fire on The Earth, and just bought, to learn more about my patron saint, Mary Magdalene by Anne Catherine Emmerich, who had a mystical friendship with St. Mary Magdalene. Also in the middle of a novel by Donna Fletcher Crow, Glastonbury: A novel of Christian Britain. It begins with a narrative about Joseph of Arimethea's colonizing Britain and converting the royalty there. Also an interesting chapter focusing on St. George and his ultimate martyrdom, and now reading her version of King Arthur. So much to learn....I intend to begin St. John Henry Newman's Apologia pro Vita Sua soon.

message 9: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Wow Madeleine! Certainly will check these out!

message 10: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Doreen thanks for starting this thread!

message 11: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Bice wrote: "Doreen thanks for starting this thread!"

I did it for everyone's benefit. Sometimes we can get ideas from each other. That's not to say the group read isn't wonderful because it is but there's so many reads out there people in the group might enjoy.

message 12: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments I so agree Doreen! I especially like the Catholic fiction novel suggestions. Does anyone recommend a particularly Wow one that I can add to my list?

message 13: by Madeleine (last edited Jul 24, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Madeleine Myers | 245 comments There is a new apocalyptic trilogy out by Jacqueline Brown called The Light series. I've read the first book and it was a page turner--the narrator is an atheist who has been brought up by her father who quit the Catholic church after his loving and devout Catholic wife died giving birth to the narrator's brother, who also died. I reviewed it on Goodreads and Amazon (the first book is titled The Light). The narrator and friends are about to go on a fun road trip when the US is hit by an EMP attack and thrown back into 1800's technology. The first people they meet after realizing their car and cell phones are really dead are---well, I don't want to give away any more. But I plan to buy the other books. The characters are awesome. Apparently other reviewers thought so too. The Catholic characters are well-drawn, and the author avoids being "preachy" quite skillfully.

message 14: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Oh I will seek out that series. Thanks Madeleine!

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 92 comments A friend recommended a Catholic author to me: Rumer Godden. I looked up her books on Amazon and they appear to be true literary jewels. The books I am interested in reading are Five For Sorrow, Ten For Joy (the Rosary) and In This House Of Brede. Have you or has anyone else read Godden's work?

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alfonseca | 1415 comments Mod
Frances wrote: "A friend recommended a Catholic author to me: Rumer Godden. I looked up her books on Amazon and they appear to be true literary jewels..."

I have read two books by Rumer Godden, both novels:

"The river", a very good book about three female teenagers in British India. Its adaptation to the movies by Jean Renoir is a masterwork that I like even better than the novel.

"Black Narcissus", about a nunnery in Himalaya shaken by the arrival of an Indian prince. This novel was also adapted to the movies.

message 17: by Mariangel (new)

Mariangel | 518 comments I didn't recognize the author's name, but I have read "The river" too, and seen the movie.

message 18: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Thanks for reminder that I have In This House of Brede in my Kindle!

message 19: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 245 comments My husband and I watched the movie version of Black Narcissus. Impressive cinematography on the landscape, but the image of the male lead (I think Stewart Granger?) riding on a burro was comical. We weren't very impressed with the story or the acting. I'm sure it didn't do justice to the book. I think I have This House of Brede on my Kindle too.

message 20: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 245 comments Bishop Barron is including Flannery O'Connor in his new series on Catholicism. I believe I read everything she ever wrote when I was in college, as our English Dept. Chair was a Catholic convert and very much into Southern literature. After seeing the trailer for this episode, I definitely want to revisit her work.

message 21: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1147 comments About Rumer Godden i have read this year. The River (5) an Operation Sippacik (4). I had a lot of illusion to read something of her as a catholic writers collectors. I have understood why Joseph Pearce did not include Rumer Godden in his list of Convert writers. I wish she was most translated to spanish and i can read more novels. One person said to me that the publishing Palabra was interested to publish In This House Of Brede to spanish.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 654 comments In This House of Brede is a lovely novel about a woman's "late vocation" to enter a religious order.

message 23: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 100 comments Oh, I've never heard of Rumer Godden. I put her on my TBR list. :)

message 24: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1824 comments Mod
Bice wrote: "Thanks for reminder that I have In This House of Brede in my Kindle!"

I read that a few years ago and loved it.

message 25: by Mariangel (new)

Mariangel | 518 comments Frances wrote: "A friend recommended a Catholic author to me: Rumer Godden. I looked up her books on Amazon and they appear to be true literary jewels. The books I am interested in reading are Five For Sorrow, Ten..."

If you want, you can nominate some of the books for voting.

message 26: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1147 comments Mariangel wrote: "Frances wrote: "A friend recommended a Catholic author to me: Rumer Godden. I looked up her books on Amazon and they appear to be true literary jewels. The books I am interested in reading are Five..."
Totally true.

message 27: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen This is a wonderful discussion with so many good ideas. Thanks everyone!

message 28: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1147 comments Doreen wrote: "This is a wonderful discussion with so many good ideas. Thanks everyone!"

Well we are a good team :-).

message 29: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Just purchased The Simple Wisdom of Pope Francis The Joy of Evangelization by Pope Francis The Simple Wisdom of Pope Francis: The Joy of Evangelization. And yes Fonch this is a great team!

message 30: by Fonch (last edited Sep 24, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Fonch | 1147 comments Doreen wrote: "Just purchased The Simple Wisdom of Pope Francis The Joy of Evangelization by Pope FrancisThe Simple Wisdom of Pope Francis: The Joy of Evangelization. And yes Fonch this is a..."
:-). *pride*.

message 31: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Just purchased Lumen Fidei The Light of Faith by Pope Francis Lumen Fidei: The Light of Faith by Pope Francis. So looking forward to reading it.

message 32: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 107 comments Have that on my shelf! Thanks for reminder. I just purchased Humility Rules: Saint Benedict’s 12 Rules for Genuine Self Esteem.