Play Book Tag discussion

Red Clocks
This topic is about Red Clocks
July 2018: Dystopian > Red Clocks, by Leni Zumas- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments An eerily close "dystopian" world where all abortions are illegal, laws are being formed where adoption can only happen with two parents present, embryos have rights, and there is a "pink wall" so no one can escape to Canada to avoid the laws. We follow 5 different woman, all with different roles and narration through their lives in Oregon (yay!) and how this world is effecting them. While I really enjoyed this the whole way though, I was left wanting a little more- hence the 4 stars.

We see the biographer, the mender, the daughter, the wife, and an outside story of a female explorer. The lives intertwine and intersect. Each woman has their own story, and motive. I loved the way the book was built- with such hard definitions of the woman- to show the pidgeonholedness of the characters. The characters were all well built, and developed over time. They are all flawed, and that is just fine. I was particularly drawn to the biographer and daughters story.

There are a lot of comparisons within the book, and to history, and gender stereotypes in America that are disbursed throughout. The mender is seen as a witch, we see it compared to the Salem Witch Trials. There were so many subtleties that I loved. Picking out quotes that are so real and relevant that it's scary. I bookmarked many pages that had lines I wanted to remember and go back to- and I literally NEVER do that.

So why not 5 stars? I loved the world building, the characters, and all- but I wanted more. There was an empty feeling I was left with at the end that was just- "that's it?". The storylines moved slow- which I'm fine with because this is obviously about the world and characters more- but something was just missing.

KateNZ | 2211 comments I don’t need to do a review now, Joi - you’ve done it for me!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7700 comments I agree totally that I was left wanting more. I wanted there to be...something. A sign that things were going to change or a sign that the women were going to rise up, but instead we were left with a sense that things were just going to carry on.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Haha, Kate. I take it you agree? I'll definitely be looking out for your review!!

And yes, Nicole! I wanted some sense of following up- whether it be bad or good, just something with a nod to the future, not just the book ending.