Play Book Tag discussion

The Sound of Gravel
This topic is about The Sound of Gravel
Archive: Other Books > The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir, by Ruth Wariner- 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments We all know I'm a sucker for small offbeat religious memoirs, and this one is comparable with the best. Ruth Wariner grew up in a Polygamist Mormon Colony, jumping around between Mexico and El Paso, among other places. A painful, heartbreaking memoir that includes disabilities, death, abuse, and more. All of this is done in a very tactful, storytelling manner- so despite the huge topics, it still feels consumable, and tugs at the heartstrings while being told. Audiobook was very well done.

This story and experience does give a different perspective than the FLDS memoirs I've read. The main points being that the majority of her life is spent in Mexico, she has multiple family members who are mentally ill, and just the living conditions and situation is expanded than other FLDS stories. Another aspect of this story is that is ALL about the "before" and the escape. We don't get to hear about her afterwards (with the exception of a small epilogue. We hear about the history of Ruth's family, her parents, her grandparents, her upbringing, and what broke the camels back to want to escape.

I'd love to read a follow up showing how her and her family assimilated into "modern" life and hear more. Fun fact, she also lives in Oregon now, and got married at a hotel I've been to. The local places and closeness really sends home the message of how real, current, and relevant these issues are.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments This one totally piqued my interest when it first came out, but I just don't know about the abuse part of it....