Amazon exiles discussion

Sport > The 2018/19 Football Punt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 727 (727 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by SussexWelsh (last edited Jul 19, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments .
Roll up, roll up.
It's almost time folks.
All are welcome. It would be great to get some more new blood on board!
The first round of games for this season kicks off on Friday 10th August.
More to follow ......

message 2: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments .... who's up for it this time round?

message 3: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I’m ready!

message 4: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments Lez wrote: "I’m ready!"

Somehow, I knew you would be, Lez. ;-)

message 5: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14883 comments I'm in!

message 6: by theDuke (last edited Jul 19, 2018 06:26PM) (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments The Grizzly one might be interested this year, anybody asked him yet?

And..yeh alright..i guess I can see my way through yet another mid position season, now that I think i'm starting to get hang of it now!

Although, it would be nice if some of the other lower ranking teams could do better this time, i'm bored of seeing the same 6 teams at the top of the ladder all the time...as it's not like the AFL is it?! Bladdy Manchester teams hoggin' the limelight all the blinkin' time! Or for that matter..even this year's World Cup..that was far more entertaining! Down with Man City & United, I say! ;-)

message 7: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments if only to trounce that jammy b*****d, sussex, i'm in! :)

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8901 comments theDuke wrote: "The Grizzly one might be interested this year, anybody asked him yet?

And..yeh alright..i guess I can see my way through yet another mid position season, now that I think i'm starting to get hang ..."

Be thankful you don't live in Scotland, Duke, when you've got one team, a few contenders of second rank, and a whole lot of Sunday League teams (no offence!)

message 9: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2138 comments SussexWelsh wrote: ".... who's up for it this time round?"

Yes please :)

message 10: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments I'm up for it, COYS!! :-)

message 11: by theDuke (last edited Jul 20, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Tim wrote: "theDuke wrote: "The Grizzly one might be interested this year, anybody asked him yet?

And..yeh alright..i guess I can see my way through yet another mid position season, now that I think i'm start..."

As usual...most of that went over my head Tim! But, I think, if I've got the gist of it...ya sayin' the Scottish teams ain't much cop...oh well!

That reminds me..did any Welsh teams make it in the league this year...Cardiff perhaps?

message 12: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments "(no offence!)"

none taken, (ya bass!), we're shight and we know it! but why is the e.p.l. always so afraid to invite the old firm to play with them, when, in reality, it would only make the 'biggest league in the world' even bigger?

message 13: by TheFoe (last edited Jul 21, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments "That reminds me..did any Welsh teams make it in the league this year...Cardiff perhaps?"

That they did Duke, swapping places with Swansea who were relegated.

Edit - Sorry just realised what you meant. ;-)

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Bailey | 2964 comments I'm in.

message 15: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments If anyone's interested in joining the Fantasy Premier League this year here is the code - 926511-206706

For those that might want to join but are unsure as to what to do, here is the link which allows you to register for free. Really hope to get a positive response, it is a good game. :-)

https://fantasy.premierleague.com

message 16: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments TheFoe wrote: ""That reminds me..did any Welsh teams make it in the league this year...Cardiff perhaps?"

That they did Duke, swapping places with Swansea who were relegated.

Edit - Sorry just realised what you..."

No you were correct the first time Nick..i wasn't sure if Cardiff had made it! Hurrah! Gotta have at least one team in there....although they'll probably come last! :)

message 17: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments TheFoe wrote: "If anyone's interested in joining the Fantasy Premier League this year here is the code - 926511-206706

For those that might want to join but are unsure as to what to do, here is the link which a..."

I'll have a shufty at it, but i'm not familiar with it.

message 18: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments "Fantasy Premier League"

for good or ill, foe, have re-registered! bit of a slog to do so if you don't select a team to follow (killie, for some outrageous reason are not included!) - went down the random road again, as it worked well last season! (aye right!) :)

message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip | 293 comments Count me in.

message 20: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments Sorry I should have asked Sussex if it was ok to post about the Fantasy Football. I would start a seperate thread for this but my computer won't let me. Apologies Sussex.

message 21: by David (new)

David Endersby (davidendersby) | 408 comments I'm, in and I'll have a look at the Fantasy Football as well

message 22: by David (new)

David Endersby (davidendersby) | 408 comments TheFoe wrote: "If anyone's interested in joining the Fantasy Premier League this year here is the code - 926511-206706

For those that might want to join but are unsure as to what to do, here is the link which a..."

I've signed up and joined your league - I hope

message 23: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments David wrote: "TheFoe wrote: "If anyone's interested in joining the Fantasy Premier League this year here is the code - 926511-206706

For those that might want to join but are unsure as to what to do, here is t..."

Hi David, yep you're there. :-)

message 24: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I had a look last year but it was outside the scope of my elderly brain!

message 25: by RedJohn (new)

RedJohn | 213 comments Oh, alright then SW, I'm in.........I'll just replace my arm in it's socket!! I've got a feeling that this season I might just spiral up to the dizzy heights of mid-table mediocrity........again. :-)

message 26: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments RedJohn wrote: "Oh, alright then SW, I'm in.........I'll just replace my arm in it's socket!! I've got a feeling that this season I might just spiral up to the dizzy heights of mid-table mediocrity........again. :-)"

Excellent news RedJohn, very glad you're persevering.

message 27: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Had a look at the Fantasy site...no explanation as to what one is suppose to do on it.

message 28: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments once signed and passworded into site, click 'my team' - there will be 15 blank footballers (not in itself strange :)), you can either sit and pick 2 goalies, 5 defenders, 5 midfielders and 3 strikers (4 will be your subs) using a budget of £100million. or do what i do and click on the bit that says it will pick a team for you! once done click on 'join a league' then 'join a private league', entering foe's code, which will add you to goodreads collective league. i theeenk!

or wait till foe describes things properly! :)

message 29: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Er...okay! I think I got that! And i'll have to let the computer do the work..cos I barely know the names of any of the players!

message 30: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments If you are still encountering problems Duke, please let me know and I'll try and talk you through it.

message 31: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Okay cheers Nick. I've not yet set anything up...but have a look at it soon.

message 32: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2138 comments theDuke wrote: "Er...okay! I think I got that! And i'll have to let the computer do the work..cos I barely know the names of any of the players!"

or do what tech does and click on the bit that says it will pick a team for you!

message 33: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Moore | 148 comments SussexWelsh wrote: ".... who's up for it this time round?"

yep, I'm all over it again marky! :)

message 34: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments Graeme wrote: "yep, I'm all over it again marky! :)"

Oh, FFS ! ;-)

message 35: by SussexWelsh (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:35AM) (new)

So, just to recap on the concept of the punt:

Each week, in advance, we predict the position and goal difference of the teams we think will occupy the top six and bottom three positions in the Premier League table.

Punts must be submitted before the first match in that round kicks off.

For a correct prediction of position, 1 point will be scored.

For a correct prediction of goal difference, 2 points will be scored (irrespective of position but as long as the team are in the top 6/bottom 3).

One of the nine teams should be chosen to earn double points. If a punter forgets to make a double points entry, then the double points will, by default, be applied to the team that they have predicted will be in 6th position.

The maximum points that it is possible to score each week is 30, i.e. if you predict all 9 positions and goal differences correctly you get 6 points for the one to which you allocate your "dp" (double points) and 3 for each of the other 8.

If a punter does not submit a punt at all for a given week, they will awarded the same points as the lowest scoring punter in that week.

Let's hope we get a good turnout of punters this season. It would be great if we could beat the 17 we had in 2017-18.

If you have any questions, please post them and I'll attempt to respond with an answer as soon as I can.

Good luck everyone!

message 36: by SussexWelsh (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:20AM) (new)

The opening round of fixtures are as follows:

Friday
Manchester United v Leicester City

Saturday
Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
Bournemouth v Cardiff City
Fulham v Crystal Palace
Huddersfield Town v Chelsea
Watford v Brighton & Hove Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Everton

Sunday
Liverpool v West Ham United
Southampton v Burnley
Arsenal v Manchester City

As you can see we have a Friday nighter to start the season off, so punts must be in by 8pm on Friday.

Get punting, folks.

message 37: by Dean (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:54AM) (new)

Dean | 129 comments Lets see if I can remember what to do!!

Chelsea +3 (DP)
Liverpool +3
Wolves +2
Man Utd +2
Man City +1
Bournemouth +1

Leicester -2
West Ham -3
Huddersfield -3

Well, who knows eh? The first few matches always throw up a few surprises.

message 38: by SussexWelsh (new)

1) Bournemouth +2
2) Chelsea +2
3) Liverpool +2
4) Manchester City +1
5) Manchester United +1
6) Brighton & Hove Albion +1

18) Cardiff City -2
19) Huddersfield Town -2
20) West Ham United -2 (dp)

message 39: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments another tilt at glory,

1 - b/mouth +2
2 - man utd +2 - DP
3 - tottenham +1
4 - wolves +1
5 - chelsea +1
6 - man city +1

18 - west ham -1
19 - cardiff -2
20 - leicester -2

cheers sussex, luck of some description to all!

message 40: by wokinghamgooner (new)

wokinghamgooner | 30 comments Hi guys, new boy on the block. Hope I've joined ok and not screwed things up too much.....
Chelsea 2
Liverpool 2 dp
Burnley 1
Crystal Palace 1
Manchester United 1
Newcastle United 1
Tottenham Hotspur -1
Huddersfield Town -2
West Ham United -2

message 41: by SussexWelsh (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:44AM) (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments wokinghamgooner wrote: "Hi guys, new boy on the block. Hope I've joined ok and not screwed things up too much....."

Apart from being a Gooner, mate, all is well ..... it's OK (ish) Graeme, Foe, I know him.

Next time, please prefix with positions (see my post) :-)

message 42: by Tech XXIII (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6573 comments or mine! did i do good, sussex, huh, huh?

hi wokinghamgooner, always nice to meet new runners up! :) i have no favourites in the e.p.l., i despise them all equally!

message 43: by Stewart (last edited Aug 07, 2018 12:58AM) (new)

Stewart (srjibe) | 48 comments 1) Liverpool +2
2) Spurs +1
3) Burnley+1
4) Man City +1
5) Bournmuth +1
6) Wolves +1
----------------------------------
18) Leicester-1
19) Watford-1
20) West Ham -2
DP-Spurs.
gonna be a tough season , good luck all.
S.R.J

message 44: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments Tech wrote: "or mine! did i do good, sussex, huh, huh?

Exemplary

message 45: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (srjibe) | 48 comments are we still doing Dooblae points ?
S.R.J

message 46: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5301 comments Stewart wrote: "are we still doing Dooblae points ?
S.R.J"

Yep

message 47: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14883 comments 1. Tottenham +3
2. Liverpool +2 (DP)
3. Manchester United +2
4. Watford +2
5. Southampton +2
6. Chelsea +1

18. Brighton & Hove Albion -2
19. Burnley -2
20. Newcastle -3

Striving for mediocrity again!

message 48: by theDuke (last edited Aug 07, 2018 11:38PM) (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Ack, here's mine, for all the good it may do!

1 Everton 3
2 Liverpool 2 DP
3 Tottenham 2
4 Arsenal 1
5 Burnley 1
6 C Palace 1

18 Newcastle -2
19 West Ham 2
20 Wolverhtn -3

Greetings Wokinghamgooner! :)

message 49: by Lez (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:27AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments wokinghamgooner wrote: "Hi guys, new boy on the block. Hope I've joined ok and not screwed things up too much.....
Chelsea 2
Liverpool 2 dp
Burnley 1
Crystal Palace 1
Manchester United 1
Newcastle United 1
Tottenham Hots..."

Welcome woking......! Don’t worry about screwing things up, we can manage that unaided!

message 50: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2064 comments Another transfer market about to be closed, 5pm this Thursday, and once again Spurs have left it very late. Come on Levy pull your finger out your arse! If you don't act fast, I can see Tottenham having another frustrating season. We'll probably make it in the top 4, but trophyless again. I know fans from other clubs would be grateful for their team just to stay in the Premiership, and this might sound like a sillyl rant, but when you're this close to glorius things, it's hell of a frustrating to know that touching distance is all you're going to get.

Welcome Wokinghamgoonergetcha! :-)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15