The Never Ending TBR Book Club discussion

General Discussion > How to get book for free or cheap?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by San (new)

San Hey,I was wondering if you guys could tell me some ways to get books for free or atleast for cheap,here where I live books are a bit pricey.I would be delighted to be able toget hands on more books without giving a serious blow to my pocket :)

message 2: by Pari (new)

Pari (carrot_bites) | 2 comments It is costly in my area too. So, either I wait for sales in online stores or search for second hand bookstores.
Of course, there are certain websites that provide free books in pdf format but I don't have much idea regarding it other than this common knowledge.

I hope I could be of some help to you.

message 3: by San (new)

San Thanks you did so.
unfortunately second handbooks stores arent a thing here,there is only new hand books. Do you have any specific trusted websites where you buy from,I know about Amazon and thrift stores but never really tried to buy any from there perhaps you have infomatiom about buying from e stores?

message 4: by Lee (last edited Jul 21, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Lee Okay I'm going to try and offer some help when it comes to books.

Buying e-books from Amazon is super great and glorious. There are a number of sites that you can sign up for and they will send you an email with sales that are going on with books that you might enjoy! Bookbub and Early Bird Books are a couple I have signed up for. Goodreads will also send you emails with deals too!

Depending on your mobile (Andriod or iOS), you can also look for free books in the respective store. The sites I told you about previously will also alert you to deals for those as well. Sometimes you can get free ones there that Amazon isn't offering.

tor.com will also offer free books every now and then. Once again, it's best to sign up and just watch your email. I ended up getting A Darker Shade of Magic this was.

rivetedlit.com will have some books that you can read for free on their site. They change I think about every month?

Also, if you haven't checked, see if your local library has one of the online libraries that you can use. They are very helpful.

As for cheaper physical copies, bookdepository is one that I hear people rave about! You can get fairly cheap copies and they can be covers that aren't in your country. They ship everywhere and it's free delivery.

Hopefully, that will help you out<3

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa "Aly"  Diane (alydiane0) | 1 comments I order from ThriftBooks a lot. Books go as low as $3.79. Newer books are pricier though.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Ashley F (tsukikomew) I'm a librarian so I have to push libraries. Many libraries (especially your larger state or national libraries) offer a lot of options for e-books. I work for a smaller, rural library and we have two e-book options: Hoopla and Overdrive. Hoopla has no lines but a limited number of checkouts per month. Overdrive has lines but tends to cover a more wide-range of items. Most libraries will allow you to request books from neighboring libraries, put holds on books months before release date, and/or allow you to request books from further away for a fee. I get most of my books from the library and pay nothing.

Also look for library book sales. Some libraries have a permanent book sale going and others do it a few times a year. Usually the books are cheaper and sometimes barely used. I've picked up a lot of new hardcovers this way (read once, then donated).

I also recommend Bookbub. You can also (if you are willing to review books online) sign up for Edelweiss+ and Netgalley. It's easier for librarians to get copies but bloggers and reviewers can request books before publication and get e-books. There is more information on those websites for those.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa  ~ Recreational Hobbyist (recreationalhobbyist) | 3 comments I second Ashley's comment re: library used booksales. We use www.booksalefinder.com to find out local library sales.

Also, Bookbub usually has a free e-book or two in their daily deals email.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

thriftbooks is a great website to use, the books are super cheap and a lot of them are in good condition

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 10 comments If you like Brandon Sandersons books:
on his homepage you can get Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson for free and you can read the first few chapters of all his other books :D
here's the direct link for the books:
https://brandonsanderson.com/library/

message 10: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cecilia-reads) Enter Goodreads giveaways, You are more likely to win ebooks for free. That's how i get all of my ebooks. Also, everyday Goodreads emails me deals on ebooks that are $1.99 for a limited time.

message 11: by ReaderMomCarissa (new)

ReaderMomCarissa | 2 comments BetterWorldBooks.com is a good site. Then there’s Kindle Unlimited and Scrib’d subscriptions, which I adore!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Warbreaker (other topics)