2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > Agatha Christie discussions

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Have you read any of Christie’s works? The “ queen of crime” has written MANY books. Share your experiences with this author, and talk about faves!

message 2: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments I have only read Murder on the Orient Express because i wanted to compare it to the film. I find I have to be in the mood for the genre to really enjoy it.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I've read about 30 of her novels/short story collections so far and own about 70 of them...I love her books! My favorite is And Then There Were None.

message 4: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Wow! That’s impressive Kimberley! Who’s your favorite detective she’s written about?

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Hmm, I think I’d have to say her Tommy and Tuppence books. Although I haven’t read many of the Miss Marple books yet, so it’s hard to say at this point.

message 6: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I’ve wanted to try her Thomas and tuppence books too! Ive only read one Miss Marple book though. I really like Hercule Poirot as a detective though. Have you read any of the Poirot books Kimberley?

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I’ve read quite a few of the Poirot books. He’s not my favorite though.

message 8: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments That’s interesting Kimberley, I think Poirot is a character people either like or very much dislike. For me, it depends on the story. Sometimes I enjoy his iffy character and intelligence. Sometimes( for example in A HoLiday for Murder) I think he’s a bit annoying and doesn’t engage with the mystery enough. Have you read Murder on the Nile? I think it might be a good one. Lots of people have recommended it to me. Have a good day!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Yes, I’ve read both of those. I actually really enjoyed both. I don’t necessarily dislike Poirot...I just prefer the others!

message 10: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I think that’s exactly how I feel about Ms.Marple. Or is it just because I’ve only read one of her mysteries? Have you read the Sherlock Holmes series? If so, which do you prefer Agatha Christie or Sir Arthur Cannon Doyle?

message 11: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I aim to read 10 of her books by the end of August. I’ve read 3 so far ( June-July)

message 12: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I think it’s awesome you’ve read 30 of her books!

message 13: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Plenty may be forty or so- love her books.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Yep, I’ve read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories! I think I prefer Agatha Christie over Arthur Conan Doyle. But I do love Sherlock Holmes too.

message 15: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Kimberly wrote: "Yep, I’ve read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories! I think I prefer Agatha Christie over Arthur Conan Doyle. But I do love Sherlock Holmes too."

Me too- I love the Sherlock Holmes stories-some of them not so much as others but some I really enjoy- like Naval Treaty, Red Headed League, Blue Carbuncle...

message 16: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments That’s awesome! You two are practically detectives ;) I’m going to read the Red Headed League in August. I think Sherlock should be fun too!! I’ve heard lots of good things about both authors!

message 17: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments What’s your favorite Agatha Christie book Lady clementine?

message 18: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I recently got into mysteries. I don’t know why I never loved them before! Agatha Christie is a very good author and knows how to keep her reader interested! Sir Arthur cannon Doyle is great in his own way. Both shall be crowned the queen and king of crime books :) I want to try Sherlock Holmes more, but I have to be in the mood to enjoy it, since I started a scandal in Bohemia and never finished it. Uhhhhhhhh ALL THESE BOOKS!😂📚📚

message 19: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "What’s your favorite Agatha Christie book Lady clementine?"

Quite a few-A Murder is Announced, 4:50 from Paddington, A Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Hollow, The Secret at Chimneys, Death on the Nile, Evil under the Sun... can' really name them all.

message 20: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments What Sherlock Holmes story do you think I should start with?

message 21: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments And to keep the discussion in an Agatha Christie flow, What’s you least favorite book by her and why?

message 22: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "What Sherlock Holmes story do you think I should start with?"

If you're particular about reading chronologically, then a Study in Scarlet would be the place to start since that's where Watson first meets Holmes- but its not much of an issue, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a good collection to start with. Of the longer stories, I like Hound of Baskervilles and Sign of the Four

message 23: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "And to keep the discussion in an Agatha Christie flow, What’s you least favorite book by her and why?"

Least favourite-for me personally, its the Big Four, though it is a Poirot story, I didn't think she did the international crime gang theme very well. But don't go much by this, because I know a lot of people who like it a lot.

message 24: by Mohd (new)

Mohd Adnan (mohammad_adnan) hey, i just read agtha christie"s the murder of roger ackroyd, it is my first murder-mystery book. i loved the M.poirot character, so anyone want to discuss?

message 25: by Lynn (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I love Agatha Christie books! And Then There Were None is amazing. So is Murder on the Orient Express and several others I've read. I really didn't care for Endless Night but it wasn't all bad. I'd love to read more of her books soon.

message 26: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments That’s so cool! I’m so happy I get to discuss all of my Agatha Christie thoughts! Has anyone Read Murder in Mesopotamia? I really like it! Has anyone read A Holiday For Murder? If so, what’s you think about it? And finally, have you read any of the Parker Pyne books? I’m reading Parker Pyne Investigates, and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

message 27: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "That’s so cool! I’m so happy I get to discuss all of my Agatha Christie thoughts! Has anyone Read Murder in Mesopotamia? I really like it! Has anyone read A Holiday For Murder? If so, what’s you th..."

Yes- Murder is Mesopotamia was very good as well. I love the ones in archaeological dig settings. Holiday for Murder is a enjoyable one too.

message 28: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Have you read any of the Parker Pyne books?

message 29: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "Have you read any of the Parker Pyne books?"

No so far no...

message 30: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Interesting. Not sure I’d recommend him too much. It’s a bit difficult for me to judge because I thought he was going to be a detective, but he’s not, and therefor it’s not what I expected. I’m currently reading Parker Pyne investigates, which is a couple of his cases. He’s a person that tries to make people happy, ( people see his ad in the newspapers and approach him, tell him problems, and they try to fix the problems). The problems are things like: I stole something or I’m living a boring life. I have mixed feelings. I’m about halfway done anyway, so I can post a mini-review. On another note, Did you read the Christie novels chronologically or in a random order? And what was your first Agatha Christie read?

message 31: by Lady Clementina (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Satin wrote: "Interesting. Not sure I’d recommend him too much. It’s a bit difficult for me to judge because I thought he was going to be a detective, but he’s not, and therefor it’s not what I expected. I’m cur..."

I'll it it a shot sometime :)

Totally random. But last year, with the Reading the Detectives group, I did read the Miss Marple books chronologically, which was an interesting experience. While one may not lose very much reading them in any old order, there are some details, like how the character changed/developed with time that one catches better reading chronologically. I've reviewed the whole lot on goodreads in case you're interested.

message 32: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Hello! Would anyone be interested in reading an Agatha Christie read together? I would say my choices are: Poirot Investigates, The ABC Murders, The Body in the Library, or Dead Mans Folly. I’m open to more choices of books! Message in this group and we’ll pick a read, and a time to read it! Have a great day, and keep up the detective work!

message 33: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Satin I would post your question on the fallowing thread. That way Mary Pat can set up a thread and maybe someone else would like to join.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Thanks blagicca, I added it there also. Do you know what’ll happen after the creator sees my comment? I don’t really understand how it’ll work.

message 35: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Hello everyone! I hope you’re having a great day, filled with reading! I’m stuck between choosing my next Christie read! Should I read A) Poirot Investigates B) Dead Mans Folly or C) finish Parker Pyne investigates ( ps: I’m really disliking this book)

message 36: by Ra (new)

Ra Da | 13 comments My favourites are the Bundle stories, the Frankie stories (I can't remember if there's more than one?) and Tommy and Tuppence of course! But Poirot and Marple are always good value, it's hard to think of a dud one actually. The novels are usually better imo, so you might be better with B? The very late novels start to display signs of Christie's dementia though, so are probably not the best 'in' to Christie.

message 37: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Satin wrote: "Thanks blagicca, I added it there also. Do you know what’ll happen after the creator sees my comment? I don’t really understand how it’ll work."

who ever wants to read with you will let you know Mary Pat will make a thread when you pick a month.

message 38: by Kiriko (last edited Jul 29, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Kiriko | 21 comments Mohd wrote: "hey, i just read agtha christie"s the murder of roger ackroyd, it is my first murder-mystery book. i loved the M.poirot character, so anyone want to discuss?"

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd Is so far my favorite Hercule Poirot book. I was a bit sad at first when it started with Poirot's retirement and I think I was too caught up in the mind of Dr Sheppard to notice all the annoying know it all traits of the famous detective so I really enjoyed this book. My favorite Christie book so far has to be And Then There Were None Hooked till the last page, I loved every minute of reading. It's the book that made me a fan. My first Agatha Christie book though was The Mysterious Affair at Styles and I didn't even know it was an Agatha Christie book (or at the time that there was an Agatha Christie).

But anyway back to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I think (view spoiler) should have gone to jail for his crimes. I mean (view spoiler) still I don't think it was Poirot's call to (view spoiler) like that.

message 39: by Ra (new)

Ra Da | 13 comments Have you read Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery ? You may have missed a final twist...reminds me of the ending of Buckle My Shoe, which ends more ambiguously if you think about it.

message 40: by Marina (new)

Marina (themarinabox) | 34 comments I've started reading Agatha Christie this year and loving it! I'm reading Poirot books in order and at the moment I'm currently reading The Mystery of the Blue Train.

I'm also reading her standalones.

To date, my favourites are Crooked House, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd & Poirot Investigates.

I read Passenger to Frankfurt last month and was very disappointed :( Anyone else felt the same?

message 41: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Ra wrote: "My favourites are the Bundle stories, the Frankie stories (I can't remember if there's more than one?) and Tommy and Tuppence of course! But Poirot and Marple are always good value, it's hard to th..."

I like the Bundle books too-the first especially through teh second features her more.
Frankie- do you mean Why didn't they ask Evans? I like that one very much as well- but there's only one featuring Frankie and Bobby I think.

message 42: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I’m reading the AbC Murders right now. It’s pretty good. Although I’m only on page 20 so nothing much has happened