Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Info about PublishDrive and Streetlib - update

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Hi, everyone. I'm looking at extending the distribution for my books, currently I distribute through Draft2Digital for Amazon, Nook, Apple and a few other places and direct to Kobo, from my brief research this morning it seems that PublishDrive and StreetLib would get my books to a load more sites around the world.

I realise there's no guarantee that I would see sales at the sites PublishDrive and StreetLib can get me into, but if I'm going to have my books wide I might as well get them as wide as possible and increase my chances of sales.

I'd like to know if anyone here knows anything about either PublishDrive or StreetLib with regards to ease of access and use, value of the service they provide, that kind of thing.

Neither site charges an upfront fee, they take a percentage of what I earn, which suits me since it's the same model as D2D uses. And I've seen some very nice lists of sites they list books in, but I don't know enough about the sites to decide if they are worth my time.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 261 comments Alex, I've been wondering about PublishDrive and StreetLib too, so it will be interesting to see what feedback you get.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Christine wrote: "Alex, I've been wondering about PublishDrive and StreetLib too, so it will be interesting to see what feedback you get."

Hopefully someone will come along with some information. If I don't learn something in the next week or so I'll go ahead and try the sites out and let you know how I find them.

message 4: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments You won’t get any information from me. I’m waiting to find out too.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "You won’t get any information from me. I’m waiting to find out too."

Well at least I'm not the only one interested in this.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Trust me if anyone doesn’t know something, I know even less!

message 7: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Anderson (ltanderson) | 5 comments Hi All. We are currently using PublishDrive. When we first looked at indie publishing, we decided to go wide. We use IngramSpark, D2D and separate accounts with Amazon and Kobo.

With respect to PublishDrive, their interface is easy. Probably close to D2D in that regard. Uploading and setting up the account is easy as well. As with D2D, you can choose which outlets you want to distribute to so you don't duplicate other outlets that already have your book(s).

One issue of note is that unlike D2D, it took longer for our book to be distributed to the various outlets (1 to 3 weeks and counting). Our book has been sent to about ten different places but is currently active on only a few. We attribute this to the fact that many of the places our book is sent are libraries or library-type outlets (just a guess). This is because with D2D and our other accounts, we're already in many of the places PublishDrive offers. PublishDrive has been good about keeping us up to date (via email) with respect to the progress of our book, where it's been sent, accepted, etc.

Also, they have what looks like easy to follow charts and graphs on our dashboard. They give the usual numbers on sales, which books are selling and where. Currently, we don't have any sales since we're BRAND NEW and we're still working to get the word out about our book.

These charts and graphs are currently filled in with generic sample info. PublishDrive tells you these will be populated with our true figures when the book is bought/read.

As Alex said, we feel the need to get our book to as many places as possible and PublishDrive helps us do that. We don't know how well our book will do, but it feels like the right thing to do to make it available to as many places as possible. If things take off with PublishDrive, we'll give an update.

One last thought, we recently received an email from PublishDrive letting us know they had struck a deal with China's distribution giant, DangDang. There seem to be both good and not-so-good with regard to publishing in China. As with all the outlets offered by PublishDrive, you can opt in or out at any time. Anticipating customers' concerns, Publish drive sent us a link about publishing in China. Sharing it here: https:www.publishdrive.com/overview-chinese.... (Apologies if links aren't allowed here.)

The bottom line for us is, we don't advocate for or against PublishDrive at this time since our experience with them is still new. However, as stated, we went with them to try to get exposure in as many places and countries as possible.

Hope that helps.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments L.T. wrote: "Hi All. We are currently using PublishDrive. When we first looked at indie publishing, we decided to go wide. We use IngramSpark, D2D and separate accounts with Amazon and Kobo.

With respect to Pu..."

Thanks for this information. I see nothing in your information to suggest I shouldn't go with PublishDrive, which is good, but I'll wait and see if anyone else has further information.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with them.

message 9: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Lawler | 4 comments L.T. wrote: "Hi All. We are currently using PublishDrive. When we first looked at indie publishing, we decided to go wide. We use IngramSpark, D2D and separate accounts with Amazon and Kobo.

With respect to Pu..."

LT I'm all for distributing wide as well. Just so I understand, you distribute with Amazon but also with Ingram Spark...I thought it was one or the other?

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Hi, I haven't had anyone come back to me with much in the way of information but I have registered an account with both PublishDrive and StreetLib so here are my thoughts

PublishDrive - very easy to use, I was able to take epub files from Kobo Writing Life and upload them, the files contained links to my other books on Kobo but PublishDrive was able to remove them for me.
Within 24 hrs (give or take) PublishDrive had processed the books and was sending them to the stores they distribute to.
I'm now waiting for them to hit the stores.

StreetLib - Based on my initial experience with StreetLib I will not be using them for my books, despite the range of stores they can list a book in. Their interface is not very intuitive, and the whole process of uploading a book and getting it for sale seems overly complicated.
I have uploaded my first book, and as far as I can tell I have done everything correctly, but I can't find out if it is being distributed to the stores, in the queue to be distributed or anything.
I have sent an email requesting that they check I have done everything correctly. But I managed to get 9 books sorted on PublishDrive in less time than it too, me to be uncertain about 1 book on StreetLib and I don't have the time or the patience to deal with that.

message 11: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Anderson (ltanderson) | 5 comments J.M. wrote: "LT I'm all for distributing wide as well. Just so I understand, you distribute with Amazon but also with Ingram Spark...I thought it was one or the other?"

Hi J.M.

Yes, we distribute through both Amazon and Ingram. Here's how it works, kind of in a nutshell:

1. We uploaded our ebook to Amazon, but chose NOT to join the KDP Select program. Had we participated in KDP Select, our ebook would be available exclusively to Amazon for 90 days.
During this process, Amazon gives you the choice to make your ebook available as a paperback. Doing this would mean it would be printed by Create Space, a branch of Amazon. We absolutely have nothing against Create Space because we have no experience with them. We chose NO for reasons stated below (see #4).
2. Then we created an account with Kobo and uploaded our ebook there. For us, it was unclear that it wasn't necessary to create a separate account for numerous stores (see #3 below).
3. Subsequent to our Kobo account, we discovered Draft to Digital and uploaded to them.
D2D distributes our ebook to many other online bookstores (B&N, iBooks, etc.). Their interface is simple and intuitive and their distribution includes foreign countries. How it works is cool, because like Amazon, there is no fee for this. However, they take a cut of your sales. The amount we receive from D2D is less than Amazon, but we are new so we just wanted to be as wide as we could be. For us, profit is not a number one priority until we get exposure.
4. Now, with regard to Ingram. We chose to upload both paperback and hardcover files to Ingram for two reasons. First, they are the largest POD company in the world and they have a great reputation. We chose Ingram for paperback instead of Create Space because we just wanted to be able to keep track of our paper copies and it seemed better to have them both come from the same company instead of splitting between Create Space and Ingram.
5. We later discovered PublishNet and decided to upload to them to cover even more markets.

How it works:
Our book is not currently in bookstores that we know of. However, when we go to B&N online, we can see that they have our ebook, paperback and hardcover available. This is because like most places, when a title is available through Ingram, that's where the bookstores and libraries get their books. Can't speak to whether they use other POD companies, but our understanding is "everyone uses Ingram".
As a test, we order a few copies of both hardcover and paperback from B&N online. They send the order to Ingram, Ingram prints the books, and we receive them in less than a week. Our understanding is that's how it works at all the bookstores. We've also seen our paperback and hardcover available for order at Book A Million and other stores online. The ebook is available because of our upload through D2D.

Also, at the time we uploaded to D2D, they did not yet have an arrangement with Google Books. So we created an account with Google to have our ebook available there as well.

Here's another cool thing about D2D: they provide you a "universal book link". What this is, is a link that takes your customers to a page created by D2D that shows your customers where all your books are available. What's even more cool, is that even though our Kobo and Google Books accounts are separate, D2D will search for your book there and show those other outlets on your "universal book link" page. So you make this link available to your customers on your website or social media feeds and when they click it, they have a choice of many places to find your book.

We have also had occasion to contact Ingram and have had good, responsive results in our dealings with them.

So you can see there are probably dozens of different ways of doing this, but that's our story. Here's hoping this helps and did not just add to the confusion. We're happy to help clarify anything. And please, anyone correct us if you see anything here we may have inadvertently misstated.

For us, so far, so good!

message 12: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Lawler | 4 comments L.T. wrote: "J.M. wrote: "LT I'm all for distributing wide as well. Just so I understand, you distribute with Amazon but also with Ingram Spark...I thought it was one or the other?"

Hi J.M.

Yes, we distribute..."

I can't thank you enough LT. This is such a wonderful, thorough response. I now have a very clear understanding of everything. Yes I have found Ingram to be great with the POD book but less so with the eBook so your insight on how to get the eBooks out to as many markets seems spot on.

For what it's worth, and if you ever go down the path of audiobooks, I found Findaway Voices for production and distribution to be great.

message 13: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Anderson (ltanderson) | 5 comments Hi again, J.M.

With all the knowledgeable input on Goodreads, we're just happy to be able to contribute. Of course (above) I meant PublishDrive instead of PublishNet (oops).

Thanks for the tip on Findaway Voices. We'll check into that for sure. Audiobooks are on the upswing so we'll no doubt be looking for info on that!

message 14: by P.D.R. (last edited Aug 13, 2018 12:01AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 84 comments Streetlib wants an ebook uploaded and I am not techy but didn't find it difficult.

They are really moving right now with running special deals for special sales of our books with various places we are not allowed to tell you about if you aren't with Streetlib.!!! Sorry.

I like their distribution which covers a lot of places the others don't and I think they are working with Kobo on various book sale deals for us.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread