Play Book Tag discussion

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
This topic is about Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
Archive: Other Books > Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3062 comments Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney - 4 stars

In this historical fiction, Lillian Boxfish, 85, is walking through Manhattan on New Year’s Eve, 1984, reflecting on her life. The book delves further into history through Lillian’s memories of the various places she has lived, people she has met, and significant milestones in her life. Lillian at one point was the highest paid woman in advertising and an acclaimed poet. She made difficult decisions, altering her career path based on marriage and motherhood, which at the time was even more challenging due to the social norms of the day.

The author has created a memorable character in Lillian, a spirited, independent, and capable senior woman with a stinging wit and a love of words. The writing is clever and filled with period details. The walk is a construct for the plot, which involves the ups-and-downs of Lillian’s eventful life, her choices, joys, and sorrows. Recommended to those who enjoy books about the city of New York or quiet reflections on a person’s life.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ellen | 2051 comments I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I'd like to be Lillian when I grow up.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8155 comments I also enjoyed this one at the beginning of the year. It’s sort of a sleeper. Didn’t get a lot of attention but was rather good.