The Crooked Bookies discussion

Saga, Volume 1
This topic is about Saga, Volume 1
Saga discussion > Saga discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
My selection for August is Saga by Brian Vaughan. Please post your discussions here.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Place | 87 comments So is this book one and is it a graphic novel? Trying to find it at my library

Michelle (artemitch) | 96 comments Julie wrote: "So is this book one and is it a graphic novel? Trying to find it at my library"

Yeah, it's vol. 1 of a graphic novel series. (: It's fairly popular, so I don't know how easy locating a copy that's not already checked out will be.

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments This will be my first comic book I ever read lol. I didn't read many as a child but I look forward to reading this one.

Michelle (artemitch) | 96 comments I've read this not too long ago. I own the second volume, too, so I might as well read that one this month instead (I won't spoil anything, though). I probably won't continue the series after that point -- the first volume didn't hold a lot of appeal for me and I fail to see why it's so popular. I think the graphics are really nice, though. I'm just not a sci-fi person, I guess.

I don't gravitate toward graphic novels, either -- I've read part of his the Last Man Left Alive (or something like that) series and I didn't finish it even though I really enjoyed it.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Place | 87 comments Ok I have to put this out here. I wasn’t even sure if I was going to even start this one... graphic novels not something I ever thought I Would give a chance to not something I’ve ever been interested in. That being said I was beyond pleasantly pleased with this months choice... if I could have I think I would’ve been able to finish this in one sitting. I loved the story line and it really kept moving... there were no slow parts at all. The characters were all able to hold there own. And I kept wanting to know what was going to happen to them next so much so that I might even get the next book!

This is why I do book clubs is to get exposed to different genres that I otherwise would overlook! Great pick this month!!!

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
Julie, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite books. The rest of the series is great too. I think there are 8 volumes out? And more to be released.

I haven't re-read Saga vol. 1 yet this month, but I think these scenes are from vol. 1:

- I love the part where Alana is trying to obsess over her newly discovered favorite-ever book with her co-worker, and the co-worker isn't having any of it. I can relate to that so hard.

- I really don't like the part with the fat-man monster. I think this is in vol. 1. I mean, every mainstream story in our culture, just about, is fatphobic to an extent, but damn.

Michelle, I'm sad you didn't like it. Vol. 1 isn't my favorite of the series; hopefully, you'll enjoy vol. 2 more.

Miguel, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this, your first-ever graphic novel.

Michelle (artemitch) | 96 comments I've read vol. 2 and enjoyed it more than vol. 1, although I'm still not sold on the series. This is totally a preferential thing because there's nothing wrong with the graphic novels themselves. They're just not to my taste because there's SO much going on. But I will say that I understand its popularity now -- aside from all the cool sci-fi gadgets and the unique world-building and creatures, there's an intimate story about coming together despite our differences, outward or inward.

This isn't much of a spoiler, since it doesn't give away the plot, but in one of the scenes in vol. 2, Alana explains why she loves Marko, and she says something along the lines of "because [he's] fucking beautiful" (both inside and out) and I find that fucking beautiful (actually, I don't remember if there there was an expletive in that line of dialogue or not). I don't know why, but I half-expected an answer that would evade the question entirely and instead turn it into a comedic situation. I'm so glad that that wasn't the case. The scene still has humor and all, but it's grounded and sincere.

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments My first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it. The story never lost me and kept me intrigued the whole way through. I enjoy reading fantasy stories with different beings and this one was unique. The stall was my favorite visual character. I could see how she could be dangerous with a weapon on every leg.
Each character also has their own story going on in the back ground but it all relates back to the 2 main characters. Very smooth transition between stories and I was not lost. The narration by Hazel throughout the story I also liked. Overall, it was a fun read. I am hoping to pick up volume 2 from the library before the end of the year to continue the interesting story. Good pick Jenn!

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments Julie wrote: " if I could have I think I would’ve been able to finish this in one sitting. I loved the story line and it really kept moving... there were no slow parts at all. The characters were all able to hold there own. And I kept wanting to know what was going to happen to them next so much so that I might even get the next book! "

I also thought I was going to finish it one sitting and I wanted to but yeah life happens. Every character was interesting to me. I forgot his name but the guy who attempted to save the little girl from that terrible place. I have a feeling his soft side will play a part in the future if he comes across Hazel.

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments Jenn wrote: "I love the part where Alana is trying to obsess over her newly discovered favorite-ever book with her co-worker, and the co-worker isn't having any of it. I can relate to that so hard."

I don't remember this part in Vol 1. I do recall she was reading a book but they didn't go into much detail about her side of it. Maybe I skipped a page?

I enjoyed this book very much Jenn. Love being introduced to a different genre.

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments Michelle wrote: ""because [he's] fucking beautiful" (both inside and out) and I find that fucking beautiful (actually, I don't remember if there there was an expletive in that line of dialogue or not). I don't know why, but I half-expected an answer that would evade the question entirely and instead turn it into a comedic situation. "

That sounds fuckin beautiful lol. If only I could have read it before Michelle spoiled it for me haha jk.

Michelle (artemitch) | 96 comments Miguel wrote: "That sounds fuckin beautiful lol. If only I could have read it before Michelle spoiled it for me haha jk."

Oh darn, I'm so sorry I've robbed you of that experience. You know what, you can spoil all the times they call each other "[fucking] beautiful" in the later volumes, lol ;p

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 223 comments Mod
Yeah, so I was thinking of volume 2.

I'm bummed The Stalk dies in this book. She's a great character, and, other than a few instances of The Will remembering her, she doesn't appear in future books.

The babysitter character, with her guts spilling out, is awesome.

I love Alana's secret about enjoying her own breast milk--and that fact being a spell component. Fantasy writers are my favorite.

Miguel (miggy126) | 74 comments Jenn wrote:I'm bummed The Stalk dies in this book. She's a great character, and, other than a few instances of The Will remembering her, she doesn't appear in future book..."

As creepy as her character looked I did find her to be interesting. Her death was kind of sudden and unexpected considering how much they hyped her up to be one of the best mercenary killers. The Will better avenge her!