Savage Author Tribe discussion

Writing > 3 Most Influential Books\Series In Your Life

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BookWarden (last edited Jul 18, 2018 07:53PM) (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments 3: Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Inheritance Cycle showed me the world of medieval fantasy. It had dragons and battles and a large world packed with lore. I got hooked on the series and it influenced my early writing. If I had not read Inheritance Cycle early on, I may be a much different writer.

2: Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.
This one is new to me, but it's shaping the way I think about characters and their issues. I'm studying the way Sanderson deals with his characters, and shapes them using the massive fantasy plot in a giant world that he's created. Everything here feels so authentic and sprawling yet interconnected, with plot twists that are generally shocking and world-altering.

And finally....
1: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
My love! I took two years reading this massive series. It's long, it's complex, it's got the best character development I've ever seen (aside from Stormlight Archive) and it just hooked me in a way that nothing else ever has. It shaped how I write now, in everything from character-building, to world-building, to plot flow, to prose. No plot grabbed my attention so much, and no characters have ever (and likely WILL never again) steal so much of my investment.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Why am I not surprised? :D

message 3: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Pish posh, lemon sauce! XD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I really don't know how to answer this! It's like asking for your top three favorite stories...

message 5: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Then that's how you answer! XD

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh.

That was easy. :D

message 7: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Three series works! That's what I did. What are yours?

message 8: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Why these?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting choices, certainly.

message 10: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments What are yours, Leo?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Idk... these are just a few, because I dabble with a bunch of different genres. Mystery, dystopian, sci-fi, fantasy, adventure... I did them all one time or another.

Stephen King's Dark Tower saga certainly influenced a lot of my writing, especially some of the more recent projects that I started. Now that I look back, a lot of my works had the theme of a "Dark Tower" and toppling reality and whatnot, even though I try to avoid criticism about copying that theme.

Redwall series also had a big impact on my writing, because it was my first entrance to medieval-age-themed stories, fantasy creatures, and a lot of plotting and planning and scheming. It's always been fun to write about something like that.

Then there's the Land of Stories series, which is pretty childish now that I look back at it, but it does have a major impact on a lot of my story ideas. (Searching for stuff before the antagonist gets it and blows up the world, something like that.)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

SHINE wrote: "Breach wrote: "Why these?"

These are a few of my favorite mystery book series out of a long list of them. Everytime I read these I feel like I'm in the story with the characters, solving mysteries..."

That's what everyone wants, I guess... (Readers to be connected to the characters.)

message 13: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments OH, true! :)

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Wilbourne | 5 comments Goosebumps - Because that's the series that sparked my love of reading.
Harry Potter - Because that's the series that made me a fantasy fan.
The Wheel of Time - Does this really need to be explained?

I feel as though I'm failing to give love to all the other books and series that played a big role in my life. But if I have boil it down, it looks like this.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "Goosebumps - Because that's the series that sparked my love of reading.
The Wheel of Time - Does this really need to be explaine..."

If it comes to the book that sparked my love of reading, it would be the City of Ember. Great story.

As for the series that made me a fantasy fan, it was definately Fablehaven by Brandon, (not Sanderson), Mull.

message 16: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Jim wrote: "Goosebumps - Because that's the series that sparked my love of reading.
The Wheel of Time - Does this really need to be explaine..."

Yes please do explain why you love Wheel of Time! Only without spoilers, cuz the club owner just started tEotW, haha!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "Jim wrote: "Goosebumps - Because that's the series that sparked my love of reading.
The Wheel of Time - Does this really need to..."

Yes, explain, please! I'll probably get it anyway. :D

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Wilbourne | 5 comments WoT is the kind of series I love. Deep worldbuilding, long stories with lots of characters, magic, war, and love. Without it, I'm not sure much of the epic fantasy we enjoy today would exist. Plus it was wrapped up by Sanderson. So that's awesome. Prepare for a bit of a slump between books five and nine though. But I think they're worth pushing through.

message 19: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Jim wrote: "WoT is the kind of series I love. Deep worldbuilding, long stories with lots of characters, magic, war, and love. Without it, I'm not sure much of the epic fantasy we enjoy today would exist. Plus ..."

Don't mention the slump, Dangit!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "WoT is the kind of series I love. Deep worldbuilding, long stories with lots of characters, magic, war, and love. Without it, I'm not sure much of the epic fantasy we enjoy today would exist. Plus ..."

Sanderson? Heard of the author, but was it good?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "Jim wrote: "WoT is the kind of series I love. Deep worldbuilding, long stories with lots of characters, magic, war, and love. Without it, I'm not sure much of the epic fantasy we enjoy today would ..."

?

message 22: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Leo wrote: "Jim wrote: "WoT is the kind of series I love. Deep worldbuilding, long stories with lots of characters, magic, war, and love. Without it, I'm not sure much of the epic fantasy we enjoy today would ..."

Was what good?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Brandon Sanderson's books.

message 24: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Oh yeah, his books are good. I haven't read a lot of his, but what I have read I liked. His Wheel of Time books are good as well, and he furthers the story the way it was supposed to be done, so don't worry about his Wheel of Time books. :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Breach wrote: "Oh yeah, his books are good. I haven't read a lot of his, but what I have read I liked. His Wheel of Time books are good as well, and he furthers the story the way it was supposed to be done, so do..."

Ah, good to know.

message 26: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Yeah! :D

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim Wilbourne | 5 comments Yeah. Sanderson is great.
I'd say start with either:
1. Warbreaker (it's standalone, so you don't have to commit to a series if you just want to give him a try)
2. Mistborn: The Final Empire (the first in a trilogy. There are other trilogies in the world, but start with this one. Otherwise, you'll ruin some of it).
3. The Way of Kings (the first in a long series like WoT. It has the steepest learning curve, so it may not be the best place to start just to try him out, but it's my favorite series by him).

message 28: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Jim wrote: "Yeah. Sanderson is great.
I'd say start with either:
1. Warbreaker (it's standalone, so you don't have to commit to a series if you just want to give him a try)
2. Mistborn: The Final Empire (the f..."

I'm actually reading Warbreaker, but I'm finding it difficult to get into, unlike Way of Kings, haha

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim Wilbourne | 5 comments Interesting. I really liked that one. It's not as cool as The Way of Kings, but I loved the ending. It may help to know that it was written during and right after Sanderson got married. So, some of what he felt seems to have been put into the story.

message 30: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Oh interesting!

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim Wilbourne | 5 comments Also, he has annotations (author's notes) for each chapter on his website. You may want to check those out after you read it. I read the annotations during my reading. It spoiled a few things, but it made for an interesting read and helped me be a better writer.

message 32: by BookWarden (new)

BookWarden | 40 comments Will do. :)

message 33: by Sally (new)

Sally | 2 comments 1. nancy drew
2. the Crowfield series
3. pretty much any book by Agatha Christie and Pat Walsh