Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
This topic is about Days of Blood & Starlight
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Days of Blood & Starlight [August 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 12th August.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Thanks, Angela!

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments I think I will join! I had enjoyed the first book

message 5: by Kirin (new) - added it

Kirin Excited to get the second book started :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Me too. Need to check for the audio on ny overdrive.

Saar The Book owl | 1711 comments I'm in. I ordered it in the library.

Narilka | 2259 comments Looks like I'll be joining this one late by about a week.

Mayim de Vries | 2807 comments in

message 10: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4009 comments In. Like Narilka, I may be a few days late. But I'm there for the full trilogy.

K L  | 341 comments I would like to - just not sure whether I will get to it. I will keep it in mind!

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm early with this one. I had a long drive today and listened to over 10 hours, so I'm around 70%. Overall I'm really liking it. More than the first, I think.

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm around chapter 65 or 66, I think. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments I might start this tomorrow. Busy day today!

message 15: by Maria (last edited Aug 13, 2018 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Through chapter 1. (view spoiler)

K L  | 341 comments I will start this evening. I found a little leeway in my reading schedule :) Since I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone in August last year, it's about time I read this one! It has been on my Kindle for months and months.

Saar The Book owl | 1711 comments I'll start tomorrow, finally!

message 18: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 73. (view spoiler)

So far I am liking this a lot better than book one. It was good, but this is better.

K L  | 341 comments I read the first chapter last night. I am still trying to find my feet, as it has been a year since I read the first book.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Have you tried to find a summary of the first one? It might be helpful to have a refresher.

Angela Jr. | 992 comments http://recaptains.co.uk/2013/06/daugh...
I can recommend this website for recaps - they have a lot of popular titles.
For the raven cycle series by maggie stiefvater, the author herself even wrote the recaps! (If you've read the books, it's worth checking out. She put a lot of interesting/hilarious comments in there 🤗

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Just finished book one and ordered the sequel :)
I hope I'll manage to fit it in this month.

Saar The Book owl | 1711 comments I've started yesterday and will now start Ch. 6. Liking it so far.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Through chapter 33. (view spoiler)

K L  | 341 comments Just about to start chapter 24 (Page 108) - Once I started reading, I pretty soon remembered what went on in the first book.

So far it's ok. I am not the biggest fan of the writing for some reason. I am finding it quite hard connecting to any of the characters at the moment. :( Hope that will change!

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Lola wrote: "Just about to start chapter 24 (Page 108) - Once I started reading, I pretty soon remembered what went on in the first book.

So far it's ok. I am not the biggest fan of the writing for some reaso..."

I liked the writing. But yeah, it did drag for me sometimes. Too many adjectives at once, I guess. I don't mind it mostly, though. As for the characters...I quite like some of them. I think you will too, as you go further into the story.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Through chapter 49. (view spoiler)

K L  | 341 comments Maria wrote: "Lola wrote: "Just about to start chapter 24 (Page 108) - Once I started reading, I pretty soon remembered what went on in the first book.

So far it's ok. I am not the biggest fan of the writing f..."

I hope so!

Shaitarn | 1819 comments I'm starting a bit late, but I am starting!

message 30: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I finished yesterday and really liked this one! There is nothing absolutely brilliant about this to me, but I find it so compulsively readable and really found myself connecting with the characters this time. Really looking forward to the last book.

Does anyone want to read the novella before we do book three?

message 31: by Maria (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments I didn't know about the novella! I had been curious about how exactly Zuzana and Mik got together. They're so cute! I'd have to buy it though, so I might just buy it with Dreams of Gods and Monsters, in September.

K L  | 341 comments Just over halfway now. I am getting into it a bit more, but still not loving it.
I have no idea why I have been struggling so much. Anyway, onwards and upwards.
I am actually quite enjoying it now, though the writing bugs me at times. Odd...

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Through chapter 58. (view spoiler)

message 34: by K L (last edited Aug 17, 2018 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

K L  | 341 comments I have finished. It was ok. I will not be continuing the series. I just don't love it enough :( It was a 3-star read for me. It was fine - just not for me.

I did not like the way the human friends were portrayed. It was like they solely served the purpose for a lighter note in a darker narrative. I just found them a little jarring. Am I horrible? ;)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Through chapter 71. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments 73. (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments The brief talk of astrophysics on the first page of chapter 75 reminded me of a book I'm currently reading (Astrophysics for People in a Hurry) and it was a strange, amusing thing. Non fiction mingling with fantasy. It was fun, though

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Finished today. The last few chapters were really intense. The horror of (view spoiler) I need to find out how it all unfolds in the next book. I really liked this book, with all its new characters and the old ones with their new, big roles to play. I agree with C.P. about the world building being broader and more explained in this one. (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1819 comments It was dragging a bit (for me at least) at the start; I preferred it when the story was set at least partly in Prague, but now I've been totally sucked in; I have about a hundred pages to go and I have to know what happens!

I love Zuzana and Nik - they are adorable!

And Thiago is joining the ever growing list of characters I want to punch repeatedly in the face; I hope he gets what he deserves but very much fear he won't.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments I did feel like nothing much was happening at the start of the book. The pace picked up in the later chapters

message 41: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Lola wrote: "I have finished. It was ok. I will not be continuing the series. I just don't love it enough :( It was a 3-star read for me. It was fine - just not for me.

I did not like the way the human friends..."

I'm actually not a big fan of the humans either.

message 42: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Well I have the novella waiting for me at the library, so if anyone wants to read together this month let me know. I will squeeze it in somewhere before starting the next one.

Saar The Book owl | 1711 comments I'll try to catch up next week. It goes slow at the moment as work has been very busy and I have my exams for Applied Psychology next week.

Maria (mariasaleem) | 628 comments Saar wrote: "I'll try to catch up next week. It goes slow at the moment as work has been very busy and I have my exams for Applied Psychology next week."

Oh, good luck on your exams!

Saar The Book owl | 1711 comments Thanks :) I'll need it.

Narilka | 2259 comments I started last night. Didn't get very far, only to Ch 8, but enjoying it. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Read up to chapter 30 today.
So far it's dragging a bit but it's still very readable (is that even possible??)
I've been repeatedly thinking that this could have made a great grimdark series...

K L  | 341 comments C.P. wrote: "Lola wrote: "I have finished. It was ok. I will not be continuing the series. I just don't love it enough :( It was a 3-star read for me. It was fine - just not for me.

I did not like the way the ..."

Glad I am not the only one!

message 49: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Lola wrote: "C.P. wrote: "Lola wrote: "I have finished. It was ok. I will not be continuing the series. I just don't love it enough :( It was a 3-star read for me. It was fine - just not for me.

I did not like..."

Most people I know who read these LOVE those two. They drag for me. Which is why I'm not sure about the novella.

message 50: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 72. It definitely got better in the second half!

(view spoiler)

« previous 1