Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)
This topic is about Salvation in Death
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Robb, J. D-- Salvation in Death informal buddy read starts July 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb.

Synopsis
Seconds after partaking of wine during a Catholic funeral mass, Father Miguel Flores is dead on the altar. Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained enough potassium cyanide to kill a rhino. And though the East Harlem neighborhood is a long way from the stone mansion she shares with her billionaire husband Roarke, it’s the holiness flying around St. Christobal’s that makes her uneasy.

The autopsy reveals faint scars of knife wounds, a removed tattoo—and evidence of plastic surgery suggesting “Father Flores” may not be the man his parishioners thought. Now, as Eve pieces together clues that suggest identity theft, gang connections, and a deeply personal act of revenge, she hopes to track down whoever committed this unholy act. Until a second murder—in front of an even larger crowd of worshippers—knocks the whole investigation sideways…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 18, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

LaurLa | 1877 comments YAY!! We have our thread! Checking in for Team Severus Snape :-)

LaurLa | 1877 comments Lisa - Let me know where you are - if you've started or not :-)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Hi LaurLa,

I've been waiting for the thread to open. Made a start, I'll check back in a little later with some observations.

LaurLa | 1877 comments Excellent! I actually finished because I started it the same day I asked about the thread and then committed it to other challenges. But... as it is one of the more interesting books in the series lately, I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

Personally, being a person of faith, this bothered me more than I would have expected. I won't go into why until you check back in, though ;-)

Suzanne | 3758 comments Is it ok if I join you two? I have one audio book to finish first, but I have this one on audio, and it seems like such a good time to read it.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Great Suzanne. The more the merrier.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Chapters 1-6

Interesting case and raises all sorts of questions. (view spoiler)

I do like the humour sprinkled in between the facts of the case, particularly this line from Peabody.. "Ohhh.. cream filled. Look out a**, here it comes." Hilarious .

LaurLa | 1877 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Chapters 1-6

Interesting case and raises all sorts of questions. [spoilers removed]

I do like the humour sprinkled in between the facts of the case, particularly this line from Peabody.. "Ohhh.. ..."

I agree with what you're saying about Eve's attitude. (view spoiler)

LaurLa | 1877 comments Suzanne wrote: "Is it ok if I join you two? I have one audio book to finish first, but I have this one on audio, and it seems like such a good time to read it."

Welcome - feel free to pipe in whenever!!

Laura | 3560 comments I read it last week. I’ll be back to comment in a bit!

Laura | 3560 comments LaurLa wrote: "Personally, being a person of faith, this bothered me more than I would have expected. I won't go into why until you check back in, though ;-)"

I have to agree. It was a very interesting mystery, but there were some things that rubbed me the wrong way. Although her interactions with Father Lopez were handled quite well. And in the next book she does recommend that a friend talk to him to get through a tough time. I won't go into specifics, but the next book was hard to read. :(

Laura | 3560 comments LaurLa wrote: "She isn't always respectful with people who have had religious or faith belief systems but I think in this case she senses the genuine-ness of those in this case."

I think she has an extremely low tolerance for B.S. If she perceives that someone has a genuine faith, she might be baffled, but she is respectful. I don't know if you remember Iris, from the one with witchcraft, but overall Eve treated her with respect (she comes up in the next in between one, Ritual in Death).

LaurLa | 1877 comments Laura wrote: "I don't know if you remember Iris, from the one with witchcraft, but overall Eve treated her with respect "

I was thinking about that one when I was making that comment too. What really struck me was (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Up to Chapter 15.

(view spoiler)

What also is striking me in this instalment is how irritable Eve is. The whole religious slant seems to be throwing her off, not in her pursuit of the killers but in her personal life. She is having a lot of nightmares and possibly she just doesn't get the idea of faith and belief in a higher power. Or maybe it is hypocritical people using faith for their own ends. Eve is nothing if not brutally honest and this aspect must totally pi** her off. Just as well Roarke is there to "soothe" her, LOL.

LaurLa | 1877 comments I like the dichotomy of Eve. She is a tough act, hard-ass on the job but the fact is is that she feels things very deeply. Whenever her cases have even a whisper of child molestation, she gets twisted up or has a nightmare at the very least. Not that I want her to keep having them, but it just struck that’s one way that illustrates that who she is at her core no matter how much she tries to cover it.
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Finished. I really liked how it all came together by the end and the link to past events.

Interesting (view spoiler)

LaurLa | 1877 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Finished. I really liked how it all came together by the end and the link to past events.

Interesting How Eve seemed to respect the confidentiality of the Confessional even though it stifled her..."

I think (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 3758 comments Through Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Laura | 3560 comments LaurLa wrote: "Laura wrote: "I don't know if you remember Iris, from the one with witchcraft, but overall Eve treated her with respect "

I was thinking about that one when I was making that comment too. What rea..."

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3560 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Interesting How Eve seemed to respect the confidentiality of the Confessional even though it stifled her case. "

It actually reminds me of the first time Eve used Roarke's special computer talents to get info, and said she would claim anonymous source and never tell.

LaurLa | 1877 comments @ Suzanne - I love the interplay between Peabody and Eve as well. It's always funny to see Peabody push Eve just that much and how eventually Eve gives her what she wants ;-)

@Laura - (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed the interactions with Roarke in this book. I mean, I always do, but I felt like the connection between them was more evident than in some books.

LaurLa | 1877 comments Here's the thread for Ritual In Death if you all want to join in there. It will probably be a few days before we actually start it.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Suzanne | 3758 comments Oh thanks! I've never read any of the In Death novellas - that should be interesting.

Laura | 3560 comments I enjoy the inbetween books. But, while there is usually 1 edition that is long enough, I can never get that one from my library. So I get the compilations. For that one I read Time of Death.

Suzanne | 3758 comments Oh I didn't know they existed in compilations - thanks - that is helpful. They are kind of expensive as standalone books, and yes, my library didn't have "Ritual in Death" but it does have Time of Death. Cool - I just checked it out.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5008 comments Great discussion ladies. I bought the compilation of Ritual in Death/Missing in Death. Should be able to start Ritual next week when I get it in the post.

Laura | 3560 comments Suzanne, when I searched my library website for Eternity In Death, Time of Death came up. They have had a few of the standalones, but so far I’ve found all of them in compilations. Good for points!

Suzanne | 3758 comments Sure is good for points! And I love progressing in the series. And, like with this book, being able to discuss how Eve works with priests, etc. makes it more satisfying. (I figure that isn't a spoiler given the book description.)

Suzanne | 3758 comments And finally done - life kept intruding on my listening. Especially since my phone is randomly shutting off and needing to restart - grrr..... (and I listened to this book).

I enjoyed reading the comments above. Let's see....

Priests and confessions (view spoiler)

Roarke (view spoiler)

The solution (view spoiler)

I liked that there were some things to really think about, along with a fun story.

LaurLa | 1877 comments I would agree that this book definitely had some things to think about. And I'll admit that if I weren't doing it as a buddy read, I probably wouldn't have thought too much about any of it... probably just gloss over it in my head. So thanks for sharing the read with me!

Laura | 3560 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Great discussion ladies. I bought the compilation of Ritual in Death/Missing in Death. Should be able to start Ritual next week when I get it in the post."

Ritual is hard to read. Missing in Death is great!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Salvation in Death (other topics)
Time of Death (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.D. Robb (other topics)