Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > I have disappeared as proofreader from several books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments Hi!

While I was checking my profile I have discovered that I disappeared as proofreader in several books. I just cannot understand what happened.

Can someone explain it to me, please?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43613 comments Mod
Proofreaders are not listed as authors on Goodreads.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments Why?

We are also working on the book and it's our job to make it as polished as possible. We work both with authors and translators.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

We also don't list cover artists, designers, etc. Not every possible role in developing a book qualifies for being listed as an author on Goodreads.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments Why? The cover artist is also important, as the people who creates a layout (you only have to see a couple of roleplaying games to see their art just in the layouts) or editors.

I feel as our work is not valid for Goodreads, as we are invisible.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Such persons may be listed in the book's description.

No one is saying their work is not valid. Simply that they should not be listed as an author.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments But the book's description is for the synopsis, not for writing again the credits of that work. Like you don't write there if it has awards or what kind of edition is it, because they have a specific space for that info.

Also that won't make those books appear on our profiles and that's important for us. That means job for us. We participate in the creation of that book as it can be bought in a store.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Copy editors and proofreaders are also not credited in traditionally published books.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments Maybe there is something lost in translation, but at least in Spain "correctores" appear credited in traditionally published books except if that book didn't had one. As well as the cover artist and the one in charge of the layout, if it is something "different",

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Tatiana Alejandra wrote: "Maybe there is something lost in translation, but at least in Spain "correctores" appear credited in traditionally published books except if that book didn't had one."

I have never seen them credited in books except sometimes in the acknowledgements.

Look at any library catalogue. You will not find copy editors, proof readers, cover artists and designers listed as co-authors.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments They are in the same page as the copyright, author, translator and ISBN. If you want I can send you several pics from different books.

But any of you have give me a link where this is explained in Goodreads. I just want to see it as a norm and well explained.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5099 comments Tatiana Alejandra wrote: "They are in the same page as the copyright, author, translator and ISBN. If you want I can send you several pics from different books.

But any of you have give me a link where this is explained in..."

Hi Tatiana

This is the section of the Librarian's manual

https://www.goodreads.com/help/librar...

Cover artists should NOT be listed in the author fields. Cover artists may be noted in the description field.

*Please note that editors should only be added for records like anthologies and reference materials. Novels and other works of fiction should not have editors listed.

Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez (shoggothroof) | 146 comments Thanks, Carol.