AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Other Historic Facts in THE ROAD TO BITTERSWEET

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (last edited Jul 18, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Good morning, everyone!

If I am too upbeat for you in the morning, blame it on the fact that yes, I am an early bird, and I do love coffee.

For today's topic, I was going to talk about other historic facts used in THE ROAD TO BITTERSWEET. I did a lot of research in respect to building a log cabin. One thing I learned was how they shaved bark off the trunks of trees used for the log walls. This prevented decay and rotting of the wood, as well as making a less hospitable environment for pests like termites. I researched about hand-rived shingles used for the roof, and how many of these they'd need to cover a four hundred square foot structure.

I also researched how to build a fire with the most basic, rudimentary tools. My narrator, Wallis Ann recounts her Papa telling her about the use of punk wood, and quartz rock. (She would have made a great Girl Scout, btw)

There are words in the story which are reminiscent of the time and the region. A bag was called a "poke." A soft drink like Coca-Cola was called "dope." Another term, which was a bit odd, is the word "sigoggling" which essentially means crooked. (this was used in the latter part of the story about a wall on a cabin) If it's "airish," it's windy.

I really have a lot of fun when I'm including small facts like these in a story. As with the dialect of the region, it adds authenticity and enriches the reading experience.

Sidebar: THE ROAD TO BITTERSWEET was a Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance Okra pick, and a Trio 2018 selection. Trio is a collaboration of artists, musician's, and authors, and was created by Shari Smith. Books are chosen, and an artist and songwriter/singer are given a book to read and then they create artwork and a song inspired by the story.The gorgeous artwork was by Cyndi Hoelzle.

My songwriter was Pam Tillis. Go here to listen to this powerful song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7d7t...

Last, but not least, I have something exciting to share. Remember when I said I would also choose a winner for my newest book, THE FORGIVING KIND, but that winner would have to wait because I didn't have the Advance Reader Copies yet? Well - they're here, so no waiting if you're the lucky winner!

On that note, tomorrow, I'm going to tell you about the research that went into THE FORGIVING KIND.

message 2: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments Amazing at what all you have to learn when making a book! The word "won't" was fun to see in your book - since I had visited relatives in North Carolina and was hearing Won't it? That was fun to see. And you saying that people thought the spelling was incorrect. Keep up the good work!!

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Hi Donna,
I enjoyed reading about the fun facts you uncovered in your research. That is what I think makes writing historical fiction so much fun! Great to add so much realism to the story for the reader.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Dyana wrote: "Amazing at what all you have to learn when making a book! The word "won't" was fun to see in your book - since I had visited relatives in North Carolina and was hearing Won't it? That was fun to se..."

Thanks, Dyana - I do learn something new with every one. I guess if I'm ever in need of building a fire, and don't happen to have a lighter, I could (possibly) do it.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Beverly wrote: "Hi Donna,
I enjoyed reading about the fun facts you uncovered in your research. That is what I think makes writing historical fiction so much fun! Great to add so much realism to the story for the ..."

It's almost cathartic when I am in the research phase, and it's also fun to figure out how to blend those details in. Thx for following along!

message 6: by Stella (new)

Stella McKissack (stellamckissack) | 38 comments I would think doing the research would be so much fun and so interesting

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Stella wrote: "I would think doing the research would be so much fun and so interesting"

It is fun, and I'm analytical by nature anyway, so it suits me.