Great African Reads discussion

48 views
Archived | Regional Noms 2019 > July/Aug 2019 | Northern Africa

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Jul 18, 2018 01:31AM) (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
July/August read 2019 will be from Northern Africa (as defined by the UN geoscheme)

Nominate great reads from any of these countries:
Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, Western Sahara.

Try to keep nominations to one pr. person - and you're welcome to second someone else's nomintion.
- depending on the votes we will be reading two of the group choices in July/August.

Our last choices from this region are not eligible in this round
(but the threads are open if you want to read and discuss those titles).

Authors! Please note: We to not allow selv-nomination - but if you are an author and would like to promote your book, please feel free to do so in this folder. Thank you for your understanding!


message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
Let me kick off the nominations with one from the 50 Great books by Women - I'd like to nominate
Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories by Alifa Rifaat


message 3: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
Great suggestion, Anetq, but the book is hard to find (and expensive)...


message 4: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
Wim wrote: "Great suggestion, Anetq, but the book is hard to find (and expensive)..."

Oh I didn't realise - there's a Kindle edition is all I registred.

But by all means let's have some more suggestions!


message 5: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 36 comments Anetq wrote: "Wim wrote: "Great suggestion, Anetq, but the book is hard to find (and expensive)..."

Oh I didn't realise - there's a Kindle edition is all I registred.

But by all means let's have some more sugg..."


I found inexpensive used copies on Amazon.


message 6: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
You are right Anetq, I didn't find the Kindle version at first, but after some searching I found one now, at only 3.67 euro!
In that case I second your nomination!


message 7: by Wim, French Readings (last edited May 12, 2019 12:46PM) (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
Oops too fast. That kindle book is only a literary guide of 39 pages. I checked on the other Amazon sites, being on .fr, and found the kindle version on the .com site. (Never understood why kindle versions aren't available on all amazon sites!)

And thank you Nan, I found some inexpensive second hand copies too.


message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 312 comments Hi, I have a question for the mods. Is South Sudan also included in the regional coverage for Northern Africa?


message 9: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
No, South Sudan is Eastern Africa according to the UN geoscheme.


message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 312 comments OK, thanks Wim. I would like to nominate Leila Aboulela's Lyrics Alley


message 11: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 36 comments Wim wrote: "No, South Sudan is Eastern Africa according to the UN geoscheme."

I would like to nominate Fantasia, Assia Djebar.


message 12: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 36 comments Wim wrote: "You are right Anetq, I didn't find the Kindle version at first, but after some searching I found one now, at only 3.67 euro!
In that case I second your nomination!"


wanted to correct my post. I found copies on Amazon US. There are so many different places to look it get confusing.


message 13: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
I would like to nominate The Map of Love by Egyptian author Ahdaf Soueif, another book of the 50 books by African women challenge.


message 14: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
Nan wrote: "I would like to nominate Fantasia, Assia Djebar."

Here's the link: Fantasia: An Algerian Cavalcade by Assia Djebar.


message 15: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 36 comments Wim wrote: "I would like to nominate The Map of Love by Egyptian author Ahdaf Soueif, another book of the 50 books by African women challenge."

Thank you Wim for the adding the link. I wasn’t sure how do add it. I thought Assia Djebar was on the list of 50 woman writers to read. But when I check she wasn’t.

****
Another Ahdaf Soueif book I love is In The Eye of the Sun.


message 16: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 846 comments Mod
Nan wrote: "Thank you Wim for the adding the link. I wasn’t sure how do add it. I thought Assia Djebar was on the list of 50 woman writers to read. But when I check she wasn’t.
Another Ahdaf Soueif book I love is In The Eye of the Sun. ."


You can add links to books and authors simply by clicking on "add book/author" on top of the comment field.

There are very few North African women authors on the list of 50 books: only Ahdaf Soueif, Alifa Rifaat and Leila Aboulela (if I am right).

I haven't read anything by Ahdaf Soueif so far. I think her book on the Arab spring, Cairo: My City, Our Revolution is also worth trying.


message 17: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 36 comments Nan wrote: "Wim wrote: "I would like to nominate The Map of Love by Egyptian author Ahdaf Soueif, another book of the 50 books by African women challenge."

Thank you Wim for the ad..."


Ah! Thanks for pointing out where click.
*******
I read Cairo: My City, Our Revolution soon after it came out which was soon after the revolution. It’s clear how much she loves Cairo. I think of it as a nonfiction follow up to her fiction In The Eye The Sun. If there is room on your TRB stack consider adding it.


message 18: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 425 comments Hello everybody! I would like to nominate Kateb Yacine Nedjma and I second any book by Assia Djebar.


message 19: by George P. (new)

George P. | 210 comments Anetq wrote: "Let me kick off the nominations with one from the 50 Great books by Women - I'd like to nominate
Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories by Alifa Rifaat"


I read Distant View... last year and thought it was great. I'm pretty sure I borrowed it from the university library here which has a very good collection of books by African writers. I encourage you to read it sometime if you can.


message 20: by George P. (last edited May 19, 2019 04:49PM) (new)

George P. | 210 comments I'll put up Memory in the Flesh \ aka The Bridges of Constantine by Ahlam (or Ahlem) Mosteghanemi of Algeria, '93. I see it has 22 thousand ratings in goodreads so hopefully not real difficult to find. She was the first female Algerian author of Arabic-language works to be translated into English.


message 21: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
I little late, but here it is: the poll is up, please vote:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...


back to top