Victoria Thompson
This topic is about Victoria Thompson
Featured Authors > Featured Author August 2018 - Victoria Thompson

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1711 comments Mod
Victoria Thompson is our featured author for August 2018

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read her work again, etc.)

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Since I've read all of her Gaslight Mystery series I guess I'll give the first book in her new series a try, City of Lies.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments I think I will also try City of Lies.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 641 comments I will have to figure out where I left off in the series. I think I read the first 8 or so. Very enjoyable

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyc) | 6 comments Scribd has the audio of City of Lies (Counterfeit Lady, #1) by Victoria Thompson so I think that will be next as I've read all the Gaslight too.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments City of Lies was a DNF for me. I pushed through until the romantic leads had a chance to interact but there were no sparks for me. I read the last chapter to check the ending.

Its too bad as Frank and Sarah were a favorite couple of mine during their wooing.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie City of Lies in waiting for me at the library. I hope to get it today.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyc) | 6 comments City of Lies was a fail for me, Finished it, but barely. No likable characters.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Sorry to hear that, Nancy.
Have you read her Gaslight mystery series?

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 61 comments I read Murder in the Bowery.

I really enjoy the Gaslight Series, but this one was challenging. The subject matter that was the reason for the murder was a bit darker than most cozies I've read and it was hard to read, especially since I, as the reader, picked up the motive and secret long before the characters did.

I'll continue to read the series because I really like Frank and Sarah, but this one was difficult.

message 11: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie I love her Gaslight series. Have read few in random order. Have a mind to reared them in order.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyc) | 6 comments Lauren wrote: "Sorry to hear that, Nancy.
Have you read her Gaslight mystery series?"

Love the Gaslight series, read them all, that's why this was such a disappointment.

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Just started City of Lies and found the first few chapters interesting. Not really caring about the characters as much as I like to in books yet.

message 14: by Alice (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:03AM) (new)

Alice | 641 comments Finally starting my Victoria Thompson book for the month. I am up to book 10 (I have to read series in order, drives me crazy otherwise.

Book title
Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10) by Victoria Thompson by Victoria Thompson

I finished very good. They finally solved Thomas Brandt murder. She did a good job of developing the supporting characters more in this book.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

I read Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8) by Victoria Thompson and enjoyed it. I appreciate the effort that Thompson puts into her realistic portrayals of the different ethnic groups in New York.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwinter) | 3 comments I live in Greenwich Village in Manhattan and have read every book in The Gaslight series. It is so fun reading historical mystery set in my neighborhood! I'm looking forward to reading City of Lies.

message 17: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 11 comments I just finished the first of her Gaslight Mysteries, Murder on Astor Place. I enjoyed Sarah and Frank, but I wasn't too keen on her writing style. Not sure whether to give Thompson another try. Is there a particular book in the series that is considered the best?

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyc) | 6 comments Carmen wrote: "I just finished the first of her Gaslight Mysteries, Murder on Astor Place. I enjoyed Sarah and Frank, but I wasn't too keen on her writing style. Not sure whether to give Thompson an..."

You kinda have to read them in order, the characters developed through the series. I listened to the audio version and was a slow start for me also, but glad I stayed with it.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments I agree with reading them in order. The writing style never appealed to me and, if I read too many at once, Thompson's favorite phrases got repetitive. (A bit like a drinking game for each occurrence.) However, I really enjoyed Sarah, Frank and the portrayal of old New York.

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 61 comments Carmen wrote: "I just finished the first of her Gaslight Mysteries, Murder on Astor Place. I enjoyed Sarah and Frank, but I wasn't too keen on her writing style. Not sure whether to give Thompson an..."

I accidentally bought Murder in Chelsea twice and left the duplicate copy with my parents. It was their introduction to the series. Unfortunately it contains spoilers for the series, but they were so happy they read that one first. Now they are racing each other to read the earlier books. It's so funny to talk to them and have them tell me which book they are on and how far ahead they are than the other.

If you don't mind spoilers, read them out of order and I have it on good authority that Murder in Chelsea is a good one to try. I'm a read-in-order kind of person, but if you are having trouble with the series and want to see if you like it, definitely skip ahead to a later book. I promise there are not book police who will come down on you for not reading them in order. HaHaHa

message 21: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 11 comments Nancy and Sandy, thanks for the tip about reading them in order! After a break, I'll try to move through the series chronologically.

If I end up not caring for them, maybe I'll jump ahead and check out the Chelsea one. Thanks Lynn!

message 22: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 130 comments I actually discovered this series when the first book was published and have been reading them in order as they are published (more or less - I'm a couple of books behind). Since they are primarily a historical cozy, at least in my book, the character development takes center stage. The social conditions of the time are well researched and informative.

I love that there is development and growth of not only the main characters of Sarah and Frank, but of the other characters as well - Gino, Mauve, Mr and Mrs Decker, even Mrs. Malloy!