What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1)
This topic is about The Talented Mr. Ripley
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. YA/Non-fiction/series(?): About a young man from NYC pretending he's someone else and befriends an Italian. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colette (new)

Colette | 2 comments I read this book about four or five years ago so I think it's YA so maybe it could've been on a summer reading list even but it's not a classic. I think it would have been written after the 90s and maybe set before the 90s. The plot: a poor, young man from NYC (or some other big city like Chicago) moves to a small town in Italy for some reason I don't recall and he chances who he is and befriends an Italian and the main character becomes very wealthy and fluent in Italian as well because now he's living there for so many years. But SPOILER...

Someone must have found out that this guy isn't who he says he is and he's forging signatures so the main character kills this person and hides the body by weighing it down and throwing the body in the ocean. This must have freaked out the main character so he leaves Italy but some government people must have beenooking for this guy and noticing the forged signatures so they're hot on his trail.

This was so long ago that I read the book but I really enjoyed it so any help would be great. Thank you!

Vulco1 | 29 comments Definitely The Talented Mr. Ripley, like Rainbowheart said

message 4: by Colette (new)

Colette | 2 comments YES! The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. Thank you!

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
A good movie.