Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Fantasy > Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles is headed to Hulu

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yoly (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/17/17...

Yay?

Well, I don't know about you but I'm excited about this. I still haven't finished Interview with the Vampire (from our group read last year) but I was enjoying it (although I felt it was a bit slow). I hope they do something great with this.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments Vampires have kind of slid out of the zeitgeist at the moment. The cycling wheel of genre appears to have spun until they are a few ticks from the top, so it seems like it's about a decade late for them to jump on this particular project. But her work is such a big force within the recent manifestation of the vampire literature that it still resonates. So, it'll probably still have a pretty big audience. I'll at least check it out.

message 3: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments I do hope they do something cool with it and it gets a following, we need more quality scifi/fantasy shows.

I think being a few years late is a good thing in this case. This series maybe wouldn't have had a chance if it came out while the True Blood TV show was airing or the Twilight (yes, Amber, I said Twilight) books/movies were a thing.

message 4: by Amber (last edited Jul 19, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments NOT excited. Particularly NOT after the BLACKWASHING of Akasha in The Queen of the Damned.

Gary: Too many emo sparkly blood fairies still running around.

Call it by it's REAL name, Yoly: Twatlight! Because only stupid twats (both male and female) would FALL IN LOVE with a book series (and the even worse movies) where the heroine is nothing but a DOORMAT for an emotionally abusive creepy old man in the body of a seventeen year old emo sparkly blood fairy, only to discover at the end of the final book that the whole damned series was NOTHING BUT A MOTHER(BLEEPING) DREAM! Discovering it was "just a dream" is a cop out and it INSULTS the reader...just as it insulted the intelligence of the viewer of the original version of the Dallas TV series during the season where Bobby Ewing was supposed to be dead!

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments Amber wrote: "NOT excited. Particularly NOT after the BLACKWASHING of Akasha in The Queen of the Damned.

Gary: Too many emo sparkly blood fairies still running around."

Any news on the casting yet? That's been a major problem for Rice adaptations, regardless of any particulars regarding The Queen of the Damned. Tom as Lestat still hurts my eyeballs. It's almost like the casting departments don't read the source material or something.... (That's sarcasm. Of course they don't.)

Personally, I'm kind of over superhero movies, so I'm wondering where the next tick on the wheel is going to land. I don't think there's much danger of going back to sparkly vamps in the near future, but who knows?

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments Vamps, except for the Daywalker, are NOT superheroes, Gary.

message 7: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments Amber, I don't know why you insist on saying that Twilight was a dream. You clearly didn't read the books, but stop spreading "fake news" 😜

But going back to Anne Rice, the main reason I want to finish Interview with the Vampire is so I can get to the next book so I can get to the Queen of the Damned. I liked the movie, I think (and hope?) I would enjoy the novel. I thought it was very interesting.

message 8: by Gary (last edited Jul 20, 2018 02:16AM) (new)

Gary | 1472 comments According to that article, Jared Leto was attached to a previous effort to adapt the series, but after the rights reverted to Rice in 2016 she started up this one, and this is mostly her and her son producing. So, no casting, no showrunner yet. It looks like it's very early days, and still somewhat a fragile deal.

Yoly, maybe we should do another "book 2 in the series" poll for next month? I like that this club has been around long enough that we can delve deeper into series without having to skip the way other clubs appear to do. We should probably take advantage of that a bit more.

message 9: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 795 comments Gary wrote: "maybe we should do another "book 2 in the series" poll for next month"

I like this idea!

From the most recent books we have read we have the following options:

The Girl in the Tower
sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale

A Closed and Common Orbit
sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

Artificial Condition
sequel to All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries)

The Obelisk Gate
sequel to The Fifth Season

I guess we could also throw in The Vampire Lestat
sequel to Interview with the Vampire

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments Yoly: I was basing that on a review I heard about. A review that said that the whole series turned out to be nothing but Bella's dream. So yell at the person who wrote the review, not me. *wink*

I still say they engaged in the black-washing of an Indo-European/Semitic character when they cast Aaliyah as Akasha, given that Akasha was from Jericho and married a Pharaoh of Egypt. I also maintain (as I said in another thread) that the costumes they designed for Akasha made Aaliayah's character look like a cross between an African-American Vegas stripper and Princess Nefertari in the Cecil B. De Mille version of The Ten Commandments. Here's a clip of Akasha, followed by two clips of Nefertari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3NGr... (Akasha) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5Fq... (Nefretiri kills Memnet), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjOO... ("You will be my wife"). For more information about Princess/Queen Nefertari, see this (and then find other links): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefertari