WLE "Kids Deserve It!" discussion

July 16th Chapters 23-27

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Schafer | 15 comments Mod
1) How can you support your colleagues? How do you seek out your colleagues for support?

2) What are some of your favorite tools or resources for continuing your learning?

3) When do you remember being recognized by other adults?

4) When was the last time you unplugged?

5) When did you really push yourself to create something epic which still focused on the content? If you haven't done this, what's holding you back?

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments 1) Be a willing ear to listen when someone needs to talk.
2) I prefer doing online classes for professional development.
3) A couple of years ago, Dina nominated me for Art Teacher of the Year. I really appreciated that. It is a good feeling to be recognized for the job we do.
4) I unplug ever Saturday. I look forward to it. It's family time. It's also our day of rest.
5) Last year 4th graders created the recycled water bottle plants that we planted outside Schafer's room. It was my first time doing it, I didn't know how it would turn out, but very glad we did that. The students learned about recycling art, public art, sculpture, unity with colors - all benchmarks that they needed to know. Looking forward to putting in a rock garden this year in that spot.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments 2) Also attending the Plant City Elementary Art PLC and the Vertical Art PLC. I really enjoy getting together with fellow art teachers sharing ideas and teaching strategies.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Shissler | 8 comments Kathy wrote: "1) Be a willing ear to listen when someone needs to talk.
2) I prefer doing online classes for professional development.
3) A couple of years ago, Dina nominated me for Art Teacher of the Year. I r..."

Love your idea about the rock garden!!! What a perfect place for it, can't wait to see it!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Shissler | 8 comments 2) What are some of your favorite tools or resources for continuing your learning?

Tools: colleagues, I have some of my favorite teacher guru's out there that I love to pick their brain to gain movitation and new ideas to use in my lessons and classrooms. I LOVE PINTEREST, in fact I have to limit myself on there:)))). Always looking for ways to change things up and always making sure it follows along with standards as well. I even learned this summer how to organize my board easier so that I can go right to my specific boards that relate to my specific units!!!! Anytime I can get to a training! And of course these summer book studies I LOVE to spur on new growth, challenge and motivation.

message 6: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Ham | 4 comments 1) The best way I was able to support my colleagues this year was by listening and being willing to serve wherever necessary. Our team was challenged this year to help and support Nancy. Simple prayers and helping with lesson planning was the best way we were able to lift her up. On the contrary, seeking out colleagues for support is what got me through my first year! Honestly, the best way to find support is to just ask for it! If I walked through a teacher's room and saw something I liked, I made a point to ask them about it and get some ideas. I've found that I can learn so much from others, regardless of what they teach or how long they have been in the profession.

5) Last year Kristen Tarr showed me her Economics Unit she was planning to do in her class. While it seemed like a lot, I decided I had to take the plunge and give it a try! My kids discovered so many lessons about economics and we even had a Market Day. I was so nervous that my kids couldn't handle it, but they quickly proved me wrong! The ideas they came up with were amazing and I was so proud of how they used their knowledge of content to participate. It was truly worth the risk and I can't wait to do it again this year! :)

message 7: by Dina (new)

Dina | 7 comments Loved some of the ideas in this section of the book. I thought the "Hands off to You" cards were a great thought to embed into our routine.

I agree with what the author stated on page 165 about how we need to remember to unplug and recharge. It's true...if we take time for ourselves then we are taking care of ourselves. It is also better for those around us.

message 8: by Katrin (new)

Katrin | 6 comments 1. I think you can support your colleagues just by listening to them if they need it, and then also working together to problem solve. I think since we are all facing the same "battles," it is important to solve those problems together, rather than complain about things, especially things we cannot control. I know it always helps me to go to someone and express my concerns and work together to come up with solutions.
2. I do love to attend trainings offered by the district, but right now in my life that's harder to do, so I like to read books that offer different strategies and teaching techniques so that I can do my own professional development. I also love to get ideas from my colleagues at WLE and my teacher friends at other schools. I want to try and take some trainings this year on how to incorporate more technology into the classroom.