Patricia Briggs Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Who has read Burn Bright?
I was worried because it got bad reviews from a number of my Goodreads friends, but I was pleasantly surprised!
I really loved it!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments I loved it too—gave it five stars. 🙂 What were the complaints?

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments Ah. Honestly, I had forgotten about Ana and Charles’s conversation. At the time, it bothered me, but I was hoping it was a dumb couple of comments that would go nowhere. It’s troubling to find out that Briggs confirmed it, and it wasn’t just a case of characters being gossipy and mistaken. It doesn’t ruin the series for me, but I don’t like it either. Off I go to look up the infamous blog post.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments I’m not bad at internetting, but I’m having trouble finding where Briggs confirmed Bran’s attraction. Anyone have a link?

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 96 comments This is the first I've heard of this and honestly my thoughts never went there when reading the book.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments This is also the first that I've heard and hadn't thought that about the book either. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read it, looking for this, which is annoying. My real question is--who's the "real" perv in this controversy? Bran who realized what he was feeling and put a stop to it in himself AND Samuel or the people who go looking for perverts everywhere?

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments I thought I’d share Patty’s statement, copied and pasted from the Facebook group (thanks for telling me where to find it!)

“Dear People.

Bran is not a pedophile.

Remember, Anna knows Mercy and Bran now (storyline "now" when Mercy is in her mid thirties) and is reading Bran as she sees him.

I will officially state for the record that when Mercy was a teenager, Bran found her a worthy opponent and respected her for being opinionated, stubborn, and cunning. He liked her enough to engage in a battle of stubbornness, forgetting her age because he found her a worthy opponent. He did not think of her as a child unless forced to do so--which was one of the reasons he allowed her to live on her own when Bryan died.

Bran, like Samuel, doesn't actively like many people. That he liked Mercy was enough to catch Leah's attention--and was the reason Leah disliked Mercy (until Mercy provided Leah with plenty of real reasons not to like her). But there was chemistry there that Bran noticed about the same time Samuel began courting her.

Recognizing that Samuel was courting Mercy because he saw in her someone he could have children with--opened Bran's eyes to how he, himself, was feeling about her. He realized then that the (usually) playful tests of wills was also a form of courtship. But Bran is a man of honor. He has a mate, and if he had not had a mate--a sixteen year old was not a good candidate, no matter how unlikely she was to allow him to steamroller over the top of her. It was this, his own feelings, as much as his dislike of Samuel's motivations, that pushed Bran into sending Mercy away when she was sixteen.

All of this I knew when I was writing Moon Called.

Bran knows Mercy thinks of him as a father-figure, and he is okay with it. Adam knows how Bran really feels, but Mercy doesn't. I don't intend for any of those things to change. I won't swear to it (that is tempting the gods of story too much) but I will swear that it is not currently my intention. I've know about this for more than ten books and I haven't done anything but use it to figure out motivations for various characters.

I promise that Bran is not a pedophile. He has not been physically intimate with anyone under the age of 18 since he was really 18.

Peace.
Patricia Briggs

P.S. from Ann the trusty assistant: Nothing about Bran has changed at all, other than how you view him and how much you now know about him. Patty warned us right from the beginning that if we knew as much about Bran as she does, we wouldn't like him nearly so well, and she was right, lol! We should always listen to Patty! :D”

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments My feeling on this is that I wish this element of the plot weren’t there, that it had stayed unknown backstory in Patty’s head. But I also think it’s her world and her characters, and I accept her explanation. I hope it’s never brought up again, but it looks like there’s no guarantee of that. I’ll keep reading and see what happens next.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Poor Patty to have her fans question her like this! This is how I always understood it to be!