Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV Shows/ Podcasts > Act & Punishment: The Pussy Riot Trials

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments I really have to see this one:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5351006/...

All-girl punk-rock bands are rare, and they must be even harder to find in Russia than they are here. But this is probably the only girl band anywhere to have been set upon by real, live Cossacks at the order of Vladimir Putin.

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1113 comments Fishface wrote: "I really have to see this one:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5351006/...

All-girl punk-rock bands are rare, and they must be even harder to find in Russia than they are here. But this..."

WOW....gulp...

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments I am thrilled to announce that the movie arrived at my house 24 hours after I ordered it from Amazon! Turns out the seller mailed it from an address less than an hour's drive from my place :)

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments Started watching this one last night. It's intriguing to me that the band's name is not something in Russian that translates to Pussy Riot; their name is in fact Pussy Riot. The story grows more interesting hourly.

message 5: by Fishface (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments Well, this was a very interesting doco. There are a lot more layers to this than I realized and they do their best to sketch it out in this movie. Pussy Riot is primarily a group of social activists who decided that some performance art would be a good way to make some statements about how women are treated in Russia. The conflict centers on an attempt to do a show in a Moscow cathedral, interrupted in less than a minute but captured on film. Someone edited the film to make it look as if they'd done the show instead of just being bundled off to lockup, and the video -- posted on YouTube -- led to an honest-to-Scrod 21st-century heresy trial. A lot of the movie is devoted to explaining the philosophical underpinnings of their shows so it's less concert video than TED talk about Eastern Orthodox traditions and the underground arts movement.

Fascinating and well worth your time.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments It's also a grim reminder of how they define "social order" in Russia. In the USA, disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor that might get you a small fine or -- at worst -- probation. These 3 disorderly persons were jailed for YEARS. For NOT performing a punk rock show in a church.

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
I saw them on a talk show and one of the girls said they called the group "Pussy Riot" because they thought it would make people laugh, and thus pay attention to them.

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14162 comments Vladimir wasn't laughing after they went to the cathedral to play their favorite romantic ballad, "Mother Of God, Please Take Putin Away!"

message 9: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments I've been seeing this come up on Netflix. I'll have to check it out.