Play Book Tag discussion

Year of Wonders
This topic is about Year of Wonders
Archive: Other Books > Year of Wonders 5 plus Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Jul 22, 2018 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 6785 comments Year of Wonders

This will probably make my top ten favorites this year. I absolutely loved it.

This book is historical-fiction based loosely on a true story of how plague devastated the small English village of Eyam in 1665.

The story is told through the eyes of Anna, a young widow with 2 small children. As the plague starts indiscriminately taking neighbors and friends, Anna begins questioning her faith, while others hold tightly to the belief that God is punishing them all for some unknown reason. This is the conflict at the center of the story: God VS Nature.

When the afflicted begin to out-number the healthy, the town is literally cut-off from the rest of the country-side. Fear and grief envelope the town and neighbors turn on each other with horrific deeds. The towns Rector and his wife take Anna under their wing and the three of them try to hold the town together.

The events take Anna on a journey of grief and discovery. The end of Anna's journey was not at all what I expected.

Seldom does a book evoke both sadness and joy for me. This one touched every emotion. Highly recommended!

LibraryCin | 7773 comments I really liked this one when I read it a few years back, as well. Of the ones I've read by her (only 3, I think), this was my favourite!

annapi | 4747 comments I loved this one too!

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments My parents just read this and lent it to me, what a coincidence reading your review this month!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5294 comments Love this one - 4 stars

(BTW ... if you include the book in the "topic" when you post your review ... everyone's "status" whether to-read or # stars will be shown next to their names.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 6785 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Love this one - 4 stars

(BTW ... if you include the book in the "topic" when you post your review ... everyone's "status" whether to-read or # stars will be shown next to their names."

Thanks! I wondered what that extra text box was for-kept meaning to ask, but obviously never did...