What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > children's book cats leading children on adventures while they are sitting for a portrait

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Huenneke | 3 comments This book was given to me in the 1960's and was a favorite. Definitely a children's book but aimed at competent readers (that is, not a read-aloud book). Plot summary: a set of brothers and sisters are required to sit for a group portrait being painted by an eccentric old lady. The painter's several cats are strangely intelligent and hypnotizing, and while the children are sitting quietly the cats transport them into fairy tale settings and stories. I seem to recall Puss'n Boots, the Arabian nights, and such mythical tales happening to the children - all quite magically and without their parents being aware! No idea of title or author, sadly. Would love to find this again!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Huenneke | 3 comments Still searching for this book! I am guessing it was written in the 50's or 60's. Cats and fairy tales...

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 37428 comments Mod
Laura, did cats appear in all the fairy tales - were some stories "rewritten" to feature cats?

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Huenneke | 3 comments Yes, the painter's cats "became" the characters in the tales and led the children through the adventures.