CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Threads > Week 29 - Magical Creatures

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Jul 17, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

Ashley (morwesong) | 56 comments Hello all!

Apologies for running behind. I have been under the weather, and it is taking me a while to get caught up with everything.

I am not a huge reader of fantasy, but I have read enough to know that I love the magical creatures authors dream up.

If you could have any magical creature from any fictional work, what would you have? Personally, I love the idea of dæmons from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. They are the physical manifestation of a person's inner-self in the form of an animal. They have human intelligence and communication skills. I would love to have my own dæmon.

I would like to think that mine would be a duck or a cat, seeing as those are my two favorite animals, but if the dæmon was truly an expression of my inner-self, it would probably be a sloth or an Eeyore-style donkey.

So, any magical animal/creature from any novel - what would you choose?

His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3) by Philip Pullman

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 754 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "Hello all!

Apologies for running behind. I have been under the weather, and it is taking me a while to get caught up with everything.

I am not a huge reader of fantasy, but I have read enough to..."

How could I possibly pick? There are so many! I'd take one of the mearas from Lord of the Rings (not quite unicorn-level, but incredibly intelligent horses). I'd love one of the dragons from the Inheritance cycle. Actually, just give me a dragon. Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle is my new spirit animal (he's a fire demon); I need him for unpleasant people interactions. And I'm going to stop there because if I could have every magical creature, I probably would.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 479 comments I'd love to have the magical creatures in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books: a Companion, a bond bird, a Kyree (the not dog), and maybe a griffon or two.