Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Final Empire [Aug 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
August 15th.

I could have sworn this group has read this book a bunch of times, but for some reason I can't find the old BRs when I search the discussion topics. If anyone finds them, link it here for everyone (or let me know I'm going crazy - that's fine too).

Katie K | 2263 comments Jenna wrote: "August 15th.

I could have sworn this group has read this book a bunch of times, but for some reason I can't find the old BRs when I search the discussion topics. If anyone finds them, link it here..."

Thanks Jenna! I appreciate it :) I'm sure the book has been read before too, but haven't seen anything.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm in. I keep meaning to do a Mistborn reread. It's the first Sanderson series I've read and the only one I haven't reread yet.

message 5: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1013 comments Mod
We're done with Stormlight for now, and that was my first Sanderson. I'll see if I can fit this one in, I mean..... the book is on my shelf....

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Wish I had time to do a reread right now. Will have to wait.

And Jenna, the site has been glitching and not finding threads when you search for them, so that is probably why you weren't able to locate them. I tried to search for a current buddy read yesterday and was unable to find it that way.

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 14 comments Really looking forward to this one. Never read Sanderson before, but I have several of his books. Heard nothing but great things about this series. So excited to get to chat about it as I read!

Choko (chokog) | 7705 comments I am in!

message 9: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jul 18, 2018 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments ♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) wrote: "Really looking forward to this one. Never read Sanderson before, but I have several of his books. Heard nothing but great things about this series. So excited to get to chat about it as I read!"

Newbie! OMG welcome! I can't wait for you to fall down the cosmere rabbit hole.

description

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Thanks everyone for assuring me I'm not crazy (at least not because of this)! Enjoy the read :)

message 11: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments I'll try joining! Excited to finally get to this one

Heidi | 6 comments I’m in. This is my very first time doing this (new member). I’ve only read Sanderson’s work with the Wheel of Time series, so I’m excited for this!

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'm a Sanderson newbie too, I'm excited!

idiffer | 765 comments Srsly? I started to read this yesterday on a whim, after having dropped it a year ago. Guess I'll count it as a BR.
Anyway, the thing that Kell has planned... well, it's very promising but BIG, and I'm not sure Sanderson is smart enough to make it interesting. It seems like the plot needs an orson scott card or a wildbow.

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 14 comments Looking forward to this one. It's going to be my first Sanderson novel! Hope the plot isn't too convoluted because I'm a high fantasy newbie.

Katie K | 2263 comments ♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle) wrote: "Looking forward to this one. It's going to be my first Sanderson novel! Hope the plot isn't too convoluted because I'm a high fantasy newbie."

Same! My first Sanderson book as well ^_^ I'll be trying to pick the book up today or tomorrow. I'm eager to start reading with you all :)

Beste | 1163 comments Laura wrote: "I'm a Sanderson newbie too, I'm excited!"

I made my mum read this. Even she wasn't a fantasy reader, she couldn't drop the book! (She reads Jojo Moyes, Kristin Hannah etc.)

Same goes for a friend who last read My sweet orange tree in middle school.

So its guaranteed you will like this :))

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments This is my first buddy read! I've read it before but planned to do a reread anyway since I got busy and didn't read the 3rd book. Got obsessed with The Stormlight Archive and the Cosmere so now I'm ready to get back into Mistborn!

message 19: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria (mariasaleem) | 685 comments Beste wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm a Sanderson newbie too, I'm excited!"

I made my mum read this. Even she wasn't a fantasy reader, she couldn't drop the book! (She reads Jojo Moyes, Kristin Hannah etc.)

Same goe..."

That's so cool! I can only imagine how awesome would have to be to do that

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Beste wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm a Sanderson newbie too, I'm excited!"

Same goe..."

Thanks @Beste! Now to find the time... 😂

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments How does the format of this work? Do we have a timeline? I'm not excited at all 🙈😂

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments No format, just as you please. No timeline (although some BRs do that. Like X number of pages per day). You can comment as you go (with spoilers hidden) or comment when you're done. 😊

I'm behind.... too many buddy reads, not enough time...

message 23: by Katie (last edited Aug 22, 2018 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie K | 2263 comments I finally had some time yesterday to really dig into the first of the Mistborn series. I haven't gotten too far yet, and I'll most likely be taking things slow, but I have to say I love what I've read so far! Here are some of my thoughts up through Chapter 4. (view spoiler)

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 14 comments Katie wrote: "I finally had some time yesterday to really dig into the first of the Mistborn series. I haven't gotten too far yet, and I'll most likely be taking things slow, but I have to say I love what I've r..."

I haven't even started yet, and I felt terrible because I was the one that asked for this thread so I'm glad you are taking it slow. 😁
I will have plenty of times to read in a couple days though. Glad you like it so far.

message 25: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok so I'm here! This is going to be my second Sanderson series, I figured I'd do this while I recover from Oathbringer.
So far I'm 20% in and it's interesting, but I'm not hooked yet. I'm enjoying the writing of course, but I don't really have a feel for anyone or the general plot yet.

Choko (chokog) | 7705 comments Starting tonight!

message 27: by idiffer (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

idiffer | 765 comments I finished this a while ago and... honestly, I forgot all the details, even some major plot points. So I don't have much to say. I'll wait for others' spoilers and maybe comment. But it IS saying smth that I forgot the plot in a week, heh.
What I do remember is kelsiers plans to be impossible, thus my expectations were of smth veeery smart. ALAS, the resolution was very blunt and simple. (view spoiler)
Also (view spoiler).
I did finish the trilogy, so it was at least okay on the whole.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Well crap. I forgot to put this on my schedule and totally missed it. Will see if I can still fit it into this weekend. ☹️

message 29: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Well crap. I forgot to put this on my schedule and totally missed it. Will see if I can still fit it into this weekend. ☹️"

I'm still reading so I'll be here.

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm listening to the audiobook this time around. It's narrated by the same guy who narrated The Stormlight Archive and after just finishing a relisten I was hurting for something good. Here are my thoughts of the first 5 chapters. (view spoiler) I'm hooked, again, and pretty freaking excited to dive back into this world.

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm also wayyy too excited about potential Cosmere references 🤩

message 32: by Katie (last edited Aug 30, 2018 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie K | 2263 comments I'm 12 chapters in now and thought I should check in here :) (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Finally started it. It should be a quick reread. I'm really excited to get back to Mistborn, where my Sanderson love first began :-)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm about 20% in and I forgot how much I loved Kel. <3

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments That's what I was thinking too! I'm about 29% in. He's such a compelling character. 🤩

Katie K | 2263 comments Rose wrote: "That's what I was thinking too! I'm about 29% in. He's such a compelling character. 🤩"

@ Diana and Rose: Kelsier is on of my absolute favorite characters, for sure ^^ I'm also really intrigued by Elend and am excited to see how (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments The first time I read the book Elend really annoyed me, but I'm enjoying him so much more on the reread. I think I'm loving the whole book more on the reread than I did the first time even. I'm almost done with it. Will finish tonight.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Are we not reading Well of Ascension? I don't see it on the schedule.

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'd certainly like to go through the trilogy fully

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments Im about 65 or 70% through now

Katie K | 2263 comments @Diana: Why did Elend annoy you in the beginning? haha

I don't think the other books were added to the BR schedule, but that would be a great idea! Maybe we can all plan some dates once this one comes to a close :)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Anyone still reading? Choko? I hoped to BR this with you but my holidays interfered :((

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Katie wrote: "@Diana: Why did Elend annoy you in the beginning? haha

I don't think the other books were added to the BR schedule, but that would be a great idea! Maybe we can all plan some dates once this one c..."

I just thought he was weak and written as a pretty flat character. Maybe that was my idea of him now after reading books 2 and 3. But really I think I was just being unfair to him. Now having read it again I'm not really sure what it was about him that grated on me. I liked him a lot more now on the reread.

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm feeling the same way about Elend my 2nd time through. Maybe it's the audio version and the stellar performance, as always, by Michael Kramer. This was my first Sanderson book as well so revisiting it has certainly added depths that a first timer wouldn't experience.

message 45: by Katie (last edited Sep 04, 2018 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie K | 2263 comments Mayim wrote: "Anyone still reading? Choko? I hoped to BR this with you but my holidays interfered :(("

Mayim, I'm pretty sure some people are still reading. I know I am, though I am close to the end. I think Kyrstle was still going to read the book as well. Feel free to join in either way ^^

@Diana & Rose I'm glad that upon your second read throughs that your thoughts on Elend changed. I'm still digging my way through the book, so I don't know what all happens yet, but I still really like the (view spoiler)

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments So I finished last night. The audio version is so intense in the last few hours as it is with all Sanderson books. I do adore a good Sanderson Avalanche. Usually when I listen to books, I do other things but I was so caught up in the ending that I had to sit down and stare off into the distance literally on the edge of my seat. This was my first Sanderson book (after this and The Well of Ascension I made my way through The Stormlight Archive TWICE, Warbreaker, and The Rithmatist) so looking back was interesting and the elements I noticed the second time through had me riveted. (view spoiler)

Kelsier...where to even start. I adore this tragic man. (view spoiler)

I don't think there was a character in the crew that I didn't adore. Kelsier wins my vote for absolute favorite character but Sazed is a close second. (view spoiler)
I can't wait to see his character arc in the rest of the series.

I will be barreling through the rest of the series if anyone is up for buddy reading the next two.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm def up for it.

I like the phrase Sanderson Avalanche. He seriously loves to write that way. I do most of my "reading" via audiobook and I have to rewind and slow down every single book ending. He just really just hits you with so much in the final battles. It can get overwhelming.

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I completely agree. After I heard the term Sanderson Avalanche I can't finish a book of his and not think of it. I haven't actually read The Stormlight Archive in a physical copy yet and I have to do the whole rewind and relisten as well. He crams so much in those final moments (that sometimes last hours). It's so so intense but lovely.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Rose wrote: "I completely agree. After I heard the term Sanderson Avalanche I can't finish a book of his and not think of it. I haven't actually read The Stormlight Archive in a physical copy yet and I have to ..."

For Oathbringer the avalanche lasted for like 8 hours of listening time. It was intense.

Katie K | 2263 comments I just finished this bad boy last night as well. For a first time Sanderson reader this was quite the good read. Most of the story arcs were a bit predictable, but it was still a joy to see everything unwind and to see how the character's reacted. The phrase "Sanderson Avalanche" is very appropriate for the ending arc. So so much non stop action. I kept wondering how he was going to wrap everything up so quickly. haha.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1