Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
This topic is about Marked
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Marked [July 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 20th.

message 2: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 17960 comments Mod
This snuck up... I tried making a BR back in February, I think, when I made my mass invite post from my 2018 releases shelf...

I'm in...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments How weird that none of the Barnes & Noble stores in my city, and there are five of them, are carrying this book. And they've sold the series there before because I've purchased the books. I have the set in mmp so I have to get this one in that format too. Things must match!

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena I read this ages ago and loved it due to the combination of genres; it’s very creative.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Then I loathed Book Two. 😕

message 5: by Veronica (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Lena wrote: "I read this ages ago and loved it due to the combination of genres; it’s very creative.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Then I loathed Bo..."

That's a different series. This one's about the misadventures of a mage named Alex Verus.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena Oh my bad!

message 7: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Had me confused, too... this is also the 9th book in the series... only came out 2 weeks ago... but in this world of ARCs I just assumed you got it early, until I clicked your link...

I think I almost read the book you linked last year... never found the time tho... it would have been an e-read...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Lena wrote: "Oh my bad!"

No problem. For a second there I was racking my brain trying to remember what happened in the second book that would make you hate it. LOL!

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena 88658482-6BDA-4802-880C-D06760658B8A.jpg
That’s what it looks like on the phone app. When I opened the browser version then I saw the purple book cover. Might have still been confused since it says first in series and the other Marked is.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena wrote: "
That’s what it looks like on the phone app. When I opened the browser version then I saw the purple book cover. Might have still been confused since it says first in series and the other Marked is."

I really wish the book links worked in the app... this folder is also used for Buddy Reads that don't start at the beginning... all part of the folder consolidation, since there's a 100 folder limit...

Doesn't help that the title is a single word... usually are tons of results for those...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments That's right! It is a one word title! I have a challenge...somewhere...with that requirement. I can totally use this book for that. Thanks, Iain. :-)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments My copy should arrive tomorrow. I really like the UK covers though. I wish I had those.

message 13: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’m trying to wait... started Spinning Silver instead...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I should probably skim the last couple of chapters in the last book to remind myself where things left off.

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, I can help there... I laughed my ass off at the ending to the last book...

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

The title of the 10th book (view spoiler) has me thinking this book isn't going to end well, either...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments That all sounds familiar...except for the part about Anne. I'll definitely have to look that up.

This is book nine, right? What other UF series do you know of where the series gets nine books deep (view spoiler) 'Tis unnatural, I say.

message 18: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica wrote: "That all sounds familiar...except for the part about Anne. I'll definitely have to look that up.

This is book nine, right? What other UF series do you know of where the series gets nine books deep..."

Dresden Files maybe? (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Really? I never made it past the first three books of Dresden. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jul 19, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica wrote: "Really? I never made it past the first three books of Dresden. [spoilers removed]"

I think Dresden's almost scared of sex :D... it never turns out well for him... (super series spoilers ahead, since you probably don't plan to read the series) (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I've no plans to read the series at this point. I've tried twice, to see if it was just a matter of timing, and both times my interest fell off by the third book. I didn't hate it or even dislike it, it just didn't hook me enough to want to invest the time for that many books. I will say though that Murphy didn't impress me very much in those three books. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly started young... I think she's around 20 now... Harry should be in his 40s, I think... but magic ages wizards slower... usually 300+ years if they don't die in combat... (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments First two chapters done- (view spoiler)

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just making me want to start more and more... Spinning Silver is proving to be quite long... lots of POVs...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Iain wrote: "Just making me want to start more and more... Spinning Silver is proving to be quite long... lots of POVs..."

I actually really fancy Spinning Silver. I enjoyed Uprooted so I think I'll like it but I don't think I'll have time for it anytime soon. Marked is a pretty short read so you could try squeezing it in :)

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jul 20, 2018 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll be reading all the things, like I usually do... Marked will be started within the next 24hrs, I'm sure... I don't have much on my plate after all the books I'm supposed to start today... except Rithmatist on the 25th, my month is clear... but there are 4 books and a Bookburners episode today...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Page 169 - Chapter 7 completed. Things are getting great! I really enjoyed (view spoiler)

I don't know if this is going to be the last book but I really hope not. I love this world and seeing it through Alex's perspective makes is super interesting. I really like how he's finally becoming a big player.

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

There’s a 10th book next year... title sounds spoilery tho

message 29: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I’m finishing up a book this morning and then will start this one. Really looking forward to it.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I'll be starting this evening too.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Iain wrote: "There’s a 10th book next year... title sounds spoilery tho"

I demand a happy ending! After everything Alex has been through he really deserves some peace!

Up to page 230. Chapter 10 completed. Things are happening! (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Charlie wrote: "Page 169 - Chapter 7 completed. Things are getting great! I really enjoyed the fight at Cinder's place, I love seeing Alex fight. Divination isn't really a martial power but he uses it really well..."

The author talks about how many more books there might be here. Sounds like he's aiming for maybe 13 in all. Book ten sounds like a turning point.

message 33: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

The title of the next book is (view spoiler)... has me worried (view spoiler)

message 34: by Veronica (last edited Jul 20, 2018 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Yeah, it sounds ominous. Especially since someone once commented...in the "Ask Luna" section, I think...that the last few titles seem to apply to Anne. O_O

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Well my plan to finish my other buddy read first didn’t work out as that book won’t load for some reason. So I jumped right into this one.

Charlie wrote: "Page 169 - Chapter 7 completed. Things are getting great! I really enjoyed"

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I saw the author say 13 books for this series too but he also said that he would keep going with them as long as they are selling. Maybe he would do a spinoff in the same world.

Why are there no shared universes in the urban fantasy genre? Or have I missed it? Seems like it would work really well. I know he mentions a wizard from Chicago in the first book but haven’t noticed any other crossovers.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I think Jane Yellowrock and Joanne Walker (Walker Paper series) appeared in a short story somewhere but other than that I'm not aware of any cross-overs. It'd be a cool idea though.

message 38: by Charlie (last edited Jul 21, 2018 03:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Bill wrote: "Well my plan to finish my other buddy read first didn’t work out as that book won’t load for some reason. So I jumped right into this one.

Charlie wrote: "Page 169 - Chapter 7 completed. Things ar..."

I hope you're it enjoying it Bill. I think (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Page 270. Chapter 12 completed. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

20%: (view spoiler)

40-50%: (view spoiler)

I really love these books... they go so quick... it was a struggle to finish Spinning Silver, even as I was interested in the plot, because it's written in a very telling style... "I did this. Then this happened. Then this happened."... other books like Alex Verus just flow better...

I'd forgotten about this fan theory about Richard Drak: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie wrote: "Bill wrote: "Well my plan to finish my other buddy read first didn’t work out as that book won’t load for some reason. So I jumped right into this one.

Charlie wrote: "Page 169 - Chapter 7 complet..."

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Someone over on reddit wrote summaries for each book in the series... I haven't taken time to read them, but Jacka said they're pretty funny recaps: https://www.reddit.com/r/AlexVerus/co...

message 43: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill wrote: "I saw the author say 13 books for this series too but he also said that he would keep going with them as long as they are selling. Maybe he would do a spinoff in the same world.

Why are there no s..."

He seems pretty confident about 12 books, as of his AMA last week... he's started contemplating what he'll write when the series is over (according to a blog post in April)... (view spoiler)

message 44: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

60%: (view spoiler)

message 45: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Charlie wrote: "I hope you're it enjoying it Bill"

I enjoyed it so much that I finished it last night.

Chapter 12(view spoiler)

Fan theory about Richard(view spoiler)

I missed his AMA last week. I was going from an old one. 12 books would be great.

Book 10 title(view spoiler)

Allies (view spoiler)

End of book (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Iain wrote: "20%: [spoilers removed]

40-50%: [spoilers removed]

I really love these books... they go so quick... it was a struggle to finish Spinning Silver, even as I was interested in the plot, because it's..."

I like the theory about Richard @Iain! That makes a lot of sense. I don't think Alex should have to take the dark council seat, since he's technically an independent they should let him have the council seat as an independent mage. The council age more likely to murder than be fair though...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments I'm about 50 pages away from the end and I'm out for the rest of the day and night so it'll have to wait until I get home. I'm really enjoying this, excited to see what happens in the end.

message 48: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drak: (view spoiler)

Book 10 title: (view spoiler)

Anne/Alex: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

90%: (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I got a later start than I was hoping for , as in today, so I'm just up to chapter five. Mage politics seems like such a mess to me.

« previous 1