What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Daughter on the run with new identity opens antique shop. Suspense/romance

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simone (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Simone (simoneisabel) | 2 comments I am looking for the title of a suspense/romance novel I read fifteen years ago. It is a novel about a young woman whose father - maybe on his deathbed - tells her about some kind of crime or fraud or something like that in his firm, which forces her to do some business with a briefcase and move to the countryside with a new identity. She opens an antique shop and I think she eventually gets involved in some kind of romance with a new male friend who also has an antique shop. I think the cover had a painting of a young woman in a blue buisnesssuit walking the streets of a city with a briefcase. I think it must have been published after 1985 and before 2005 (probably in the 1990s). I am pretty sure the novel is American or English and it has been translated into several languages including Danish. Google has not been helpful so far. Does it ring any bells?

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments Maybe A Place to Hide by Robert Westall? Published in 1994.
The cover doesn't match your description but the plot does. Editorial review:
Just after 18-year-old Lucy graduates from school, her widowed father orders her to disappear for her own safety. He is about to expose a big government crime, but can give her no details lest he implicate her as a conspirator. Dressed up in her dead mother's clothes, armed with a briefcase full of money, Lucy settles in a small town outside Manchester. Pursuing a longtime passion, she starts up an antiques shop, in time befriending a host of affable eccentrics who eventually save her life.

message 3: by Simone (new)

Simone (simoneisabel) | 2 comments I think that's it, that's amazing! I probably remember the Danish cover, I'll look it up. Thank you so much!

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments I hope this is it! It was published in 1995 in Denmark with the title "Farlig Viden" (I think). I found the book online but no images of the cover...