What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA fantasy/action with gay romance

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cocoa (new)

Cocoa (brandedcocoabeans) | 16 comments I would really like to read something á la Allie Carter/Anthony Horowitz/Chris D’Lacey - so fantasy, action, mystery or a bit of all three - but instead of the typical straight romance subplot, the protagonist falls in love with someone of the same gender.

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments It's not really YA (I guess it would be early NA, but it doesn't really fit into these age-ghetto conventions), but Daughter of Mystery is historical fantasy with female/female romance.

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:57AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I haven't read these (yet!), but some friends suggest:

Nightrunner series (beginning with Luck in the Shadows) by Lynn Flewelling
Archangel Academy series beginning with Unnatural
Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage Series beginning with Magic's Pawn
Lord of the White Hell Series beginning with Lord of the White Hell, Book 1

There's also this list:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 7: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 186 comments Witchmark by C.L. Polk. It’s not YA. It does meet your other criteria. It has witches and magic and a m/m romance. I’m still reading it, but the premise is setting up to be very interesting. Reviews call it a “sweet romance”, so I went ahead and threw it out there even though it’s not YA.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
Smoke and Shadows this is the first book in a trilogy. The MC is an unashamed and admitted gay male.

However, I will say that this is a spin-off series, and some of the characters from that earlier series are mentioned (and even called upon) in this trilogy. Blood Price is the first book in that series. In this series, while Tony (the MC in the spin off) is in it, he's a supporting character. I think he appears in all of the books in this series, but am not totally sure, as it's been a while since I read it. (Not since I got everything that Tanya Huff had written up to that point autographed at a sci-fi con, to be exact. I do break them out and fondle them periodically though, and I'm thinking about getting all 10 books for my Nook or my Kindle or my . . . Er, nm, I own a lot of reading devices with a number of different formats.) Also, this series was made into a very short lived TV show. Blood Series this shows the name of the TV series.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 151 comments Ebookworm2016 wrote: "Witchmark by C.L. Polk. It’s not YA. It does meet your other criteria. It has witches and magic and a m/m romance. I’m still reading it, but the premise is setting up to be very interesting. Review..."

I'm reading this right now too! So good :)

Fairy tale retelling/fantasy: Girls Made of Snow and Glass
No magic, but historical adventure/romance/pirates: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Also, graphic novels if you're open to that:
Nimona
Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings

message 10: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 283 comments Hero by Perry Moore if you don't mind superheroes and/or young adult fiction.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarawisdom) | 3 comments Some YA fantasy - In Other Lands, The Darkest Part of the Forest, The Raven Boys (not so much in the first book, but later in the series)

Into the Drowning Deep is not YA (it's a horror book about mermaids) but it's an easy read and it has a f/f romance in it

Radio Silence and I Was Born For This are contemporary YA, but very good!

message 12: by Kaion (last edited Sep 09, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera is a F/F romance set in an East-Asian inspired fantasy world.

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear is a rollicking steampunk novel set in an alternate Wild West Seattle.