2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Ashleigh's 5 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashleigh, Challenges (last edited Oct 02, 2018 10:09PM) (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments Yep, I'm slow. The last few years I've set a target of 8, and failed miserably, so I've set 5 this year and I feel that this more achievable for me. Of course, I'd love to read more, but for some reason it always takes me months to get through a book despite my goal being a month max.

Anyway, here I am and ready to participate :)

message 2: by Ashleigh, Challenges (last edited Oct 02, 2018 10:09PM) (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments This year so far:

Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles Wolfblade, #1) by Jennifer Fallon Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles Wolfblade, #2) by Jennifer Fallon Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles Wolfblade, #3) by Jennifer Fallon The Passage (The Passage #1) by Justin Cronin

Currently reading:

The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin

message 3: by Ashleigh, Challenges (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments Wolfblade:

3.5 stars. I quite enjoyed this book. I read the Demon Child series before this, but the Damin and Hythria plot was my favourite aspect of that, so being able to read a whole book on Hythria was enjoyable for me. I personally enjoyed the political aspect to this fantasy. The world building was fun to read and I learnt a lot about this world.

The reason I gave it 3.5 stars is because of the last 200 pages or so. There was a lot of time jumping which felt weird considering the first 400 pages had been during one aspect of their life. I didn't particularly like that, though I do look forward to the next book being a much older Damin!

message 4: by Ashleigh, Challenges (last edited Jul 16, 2018 11:23PM) (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments Warrior:

4 stars. Definitely enjoyed this book more than any of the others in this series (including Demon Child). I thought the character dynamics and the different storylines were intriguing and easy to follow along. I felt anger at Mahkas and his denial over his own actions, saddened over the position he brought upon other characters and frustrated that no one else was able to see what an idiot he was. I felt frustrated (In a good way) over Alija and the inactive battle of wills between her and Marla. Damin is such a lovable young prince, and having read Demon Child first, I'm pleased to know of his outcome.

The other characters were great and likeable and I'm looking forward to picking up Warlord now, to see how everything ends!

message 5: by Ashleigh, Challenges (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments Warlord:

3.5. I felt this was a satidfying end to the series, though not completely fulfilling. I enjoyed the twist regarding Belynda and once again, Damin is most likely my favourite character in the whole series, though I did enjoy Galon Miar here. And, it was great to see Adrina make an appearance, as I enjoyed her in the Demon Child series.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I think this prequel series sets up the Demon Child nicely and I now wish I'd read them the other way around, but oh well. Still an enjoyable read.

message 6: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4726 comments Seems like you are on target for your goal Ashleigh ^^ It doesn't matter what the goal is either as long as you enjoy the journey :)

message 7: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Winter is right Ashleigh you are doing great! Do you think you will be joining challenges and group reads to help you along? I wish you luck with your remaining books welcome again and happy reading.

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Ashleigh wrote: "Yep, I'm slow. The last few years I've set a target of 8, and failed miserably, so I've set 5 this year and I feel that this more achievable for me. Of course, I'd love to read more, but for some reason it always takes me months to get through a book despite my goal being a month max.

Anyway, here I am and ready to participate :) "

Glad you joined us Ashleigh! Hope you have an awesome time participating and that you'll find some gems this year! Happy reading! :)

message 9: by Ashleigh, Challenges (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments Thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement :)

I don't think I'll be participating in any of the challenges or group reads, purely because I'm immensely picky about the books I read and the order I read them in (OCD). But I do find the personal challenge a motivator within itself :D

message 10: by Ashleigh, Challenges (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments The Passage:

4 stars

** spoiler alert ** This was so close to being a 5, but the reason it got 4 is solely due to moments of confusion/not being able to follow the story probably.

The Passage is a completely different concept to anything I've read, especially recently. It's filled with questions and wondering and moments where I couldn't put the book down, because I just wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Despite the large number of characters, I found they were easy to follow and easy to relate to. Each had their own personality and problems and demons they needed to work through.

This book is a wonderful example of just what scientific meddling can do and may do in the future. A whole race has been wiped out almost because some people thought they could live forever. I think it sends a fantastic message/warning - to not meddle with nature.

The world that Peter and the others now know is scary and dangerous, and yet extremely interesting. I'm not sure I've finished a book with such enthusiasm in such a long time. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next in the series!

---

1 more to go to reach my goal!

message 11: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?

message 12: by Ashleigh, Challenges (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1228 comments I would definitely like to finish to the Passage series, but I'm not sure I'll get the third one done this year. November and December are busy for teachers here in Australia - it's our report writing time :(