Grimdark Fantasy discussion

Random Discussions > Grim Tidings podcast: Ladies of Grimdark episode

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I could have sworn we have a podcast topic somewhere but I could not find it during search....

Anyway, the recent episode on Ladies of Grimdark is really fun. https://thegrimtidingspodcast.podbean...

We definitely need more ladies writing GD.

Have you read all or some of the ladies' works?

message 2: by Mitch (new)

Mitch Kable | 2 comments I’m shamefully ignorant of many female GD authors. I’ve read godblind, and just bought court of broken knives. I listened to this podcast, and got a lot of tips from Anna Stephens about new female authors. So for me it’s a growing focus.

message 3: by Coby (new)

Coby Heitz | 16 comments I really enjoyed that episode. I too have been ignorant on the subject. Not too far in the past I wouldn’t even read a book with a female lead. I’ve been seeking out more books with female MC’s and honestly finding that I enjoy their stories just as much. I also have A Court of Broken Knives on my shelf and will be reading it soon. Hopefully that will just be the start of my relationship with the ladies of grim dark and their books.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Owton | 17 comments ML Spencer is definitely one to check out Darkmage

message 5: by L.L. (new)

L.L. Thomsen (llthomsen) | 2 comments I am really curious about the fundamentals of grimdark so if anyone was to recommend a female grimdark writer so that I could get a better feel for it, would you say that the books mentioned are worth giving a go? I write adult high/epic write fantasy, but I am wondering if my slashes of darkness would constitute as GD so any heads up would be appreciated! Cheers everyone!

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Jul 19, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) L. wrote: "I am really curious about the fundamentals of grimdark so if anyone was to recommend a female grimdark writer so that I could get a better feel for it, would you say that the books mentioned are wo..."

I only read one of the books mentioned, The Dragon’s Legacy, and it's definitely grimdark. I think Kameron Hurley also fits the bill with her epic fantasy, The Mirror Empire.

Have not had the chance to read the others, yet, but definitely on my radar. I especially love the comment about women are the ones who suffer the most during wars or something like that.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

L. wrote: "I am really curious about the fundamentals of grimdark so if anyone was to recommend a female grimdark writer so that I could get a better feel for it, would you say that the books mentioned are wo..."

Anna Smith Spark's The Court of Broken Knives was one of the best books I read in 2017. Her prose isn't for everyone, but I found it brilliant.

message 8: by L.L. (new)

L.L. Thomsen (llthomsen) | 2 comments Hi Silvana and Michael,
Brilliant! Thank you for the feedback. I will put those on the list of 'books to read'.
I agree with the comment you mention by the way - there are often quite a few obvious horrors that sometimes pass us by so it' s quite interesting when someone actually reminds us and we go 'oh yea... that is true...' Nice aspect to consider.
As for reading unusual prose in regards to Anna Smith Spark... no bother! I am all up for something a little different from the rest. I actually like it when you can tell who the author is by the style of their unique writing, so no problem there! I usually like what everyone else finds hard to get on with so that bodes well, lol. Thanks again. All the best.