What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Romance Book with young woman protagonist, married to older man who is a sailor... Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Ast, I moved your request to the "Suggest books for me" folder because you're asking for books with a similar plot, not just one book.

message 2: by Ast (new)

Ast Delz | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Ast, I moved your request to the "Suggest books for me" folder because you're asking for books with a similar plot, not just one book."

I deleted that comment.

It's a specific book I remember reading. Hopefully someone will recognize the plot and pin point me in the right direction one day. It feels like it haunts me from time to time, lol!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Moving back to Unsolved.

Please don't delete your initial post which contains all you remember about the book. It's always better to edit a post than delete it.

Can you tell us everything you remember, including the spoilers, and when you read it?

message 4: by Sable (new)

Sable Sylvan | 4 comments If it was a recent book it may be Dirty Uncle by Alexa Riley. TW: potentially incest depending on opinions.

Features younger heroine with older male hero who she isn’t blood related to. Male hero is a crab fisher so he is a “sailor” in the sense that he is often out to see and it has plot ramifications.

message 5: by Ast (new)

Ast Delz | 3 comments Year Read - 2002/2003

Book Plot Era - Complex, but there was a dated, colonial era description/feel to it.

Adult romance, with a happy ending.

There's a book that I have been looking for for years, and I was hoping maybe someone may have heard of it. I do not remember the title or characters names, which just adds to the difficulty factor, but I do remember plot points.

A young man somehow finds himself stranded on a jungle/island and meets a young woman. She is from a tribe/village close to where he washed up on shore. She nurses him back to health, they fall in love, she ends up leaving with him.

He takes her to a woman (older) who teaches her how to read, write, and how to be a lady, with promises to return. She waits for a long time (a few years), but he does not return. She stays with the woman, and at this point I believe the older woman died, leaving her a few things (jewelry and money) to restart her life elsewhere.

The young woman is quiet, and slightly bitter toward men, but she moves to like a shipping town with a tavern of sorts, where she gains employment. There, men try to talk to her, ask to court her, but she declines, and after some time, she earns their respect.

Here, she meets an older man, tall, rugged, sailor (possibly a captain, he has his own ship), and he asks her to marry him. It's not for love, more like he wants to take care of her, and for her to take care of his home and such. They wed, the people of the town and tavern attend.

Now here it gets tricky because I remember two scenarios.

Her husband gets hurt, and she nurses him back to health. He either got hurt hunting, or he got sick coming back after being at sea. When she's nursing him, this is where he tells her he loves her.

In the next one, her husband was supposed to return from a voyage, but he doesn't, and neither does his ship. They were attacked by pirates, and he goes missing, but is doing everything he can to come home to her. During his time missing, she remains faithful, and waits for him, however, lo and behold, her former lover appears.

He's older now, more distinguished, and still handsome. She gets upset that he even found her, and he tries to win her back basically. She lets him go, telling him she loves her husband, and he leaves.

(There's more to that whole dramatic part, but I only remember bits and pieces).

Her husband does return to her, he was resourceful, and fought, and came home with a new ship and everything. She's happy to see him, and they make up for lost time. Eventually, she gets pregnant, or she was pregnant while he was gone, and she tells him. He soon has to leave for another voyage (I'm thinking he trades goods or something), and she tells him that she is going with him, that he's not leaving her behind again.

So, they do live happily ever after, sailing away, and their child with them.

message 6: by Ast (new)

Ast Delz | 3 comments Sable wrote: "If it was a recent book it may be Dirty Uncle by Alexa Riley. TW: potentially incest depending on opinions.

Features younger heroine with older male hero who she isn’t blood related to. Male hero..."

It wasn't a recent book, but thank you so much for trying. I really appreciate it

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Ast, are you still looking or was this found?