YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Scott Nagele
This topic is about Scott Nagele
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Meet Our Author ~ Scott Nagele

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Welcome Scott! Thank you for being our August Spotlight of the Month Author!

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Nagele | 5 comments Thank you for inviting me, Heather. I look forward to the discussion!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments So Scott, I am curious...a lot of authors have interesting stories about how they came up with the idea for their book. What's yours?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Nagele | 5 comments Thanks for asking, Heather. I have a story, whether or not it's interesting I'll let you decide.

This novel began life as a short story about 20 years ago. I'd written a collection of children's stories about the bond between people and their dogs. I queried an agent I thought might handle this type of unusual book. He asked for sample chapters. In the end, he liked the book (he said), but didn't think he knew any editors who would buy something so different. I shifted my focus to other projects.

The story that became A Housefly in Autumn was the longest from that earlier book, and my favorite. It took me about 10 years to decide it needed to be a novel, and about another five to make it happen. In the transition, the dog angle diminished to a secondary theme as more layers of storytelling were applied and the relationships between the human characters took center stage. Overall, it grew into a much deeper, more complex story, appropriate for somewhat older readers than the original.

It was a blessing in disguise that the original book of stories never saw the light of day. It prodded me into molding this novel into the story it always needed to be.

Let me know if that's too boring. I have an alternate ending where my preschool son clocks me in the head with his whiffle ball bat and it all comes to me in a semiconscious vision.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Well, I was enthralled by your original story but the whiffle ball bat story sounds so much more fun!!

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Nagele | 5 comments And the first part of the bat story is even true. (Generally, any story in which my kids hit me with their careless swings or throws is true, but I'm usually in too much pain to jot down the visions.)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Scott wrote: "And the first part of the bat story is even true. (Generally, any story in which my kids hit me with their careless swings or throws is true, but I'm usually in too much pain to jot down the visions.)"

LOL! The joy of having children:)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Hi Scott,

Do you base your characters on people you actually know or are they completely made up?

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Nagele | 5 comments heather wrote: "Hi Scott,

Do you base your characters on people you actually know or are they completely made up?"

Hi Heather,

The answer to your question is yes.

I should explain. Some of the characters I write are compilations of traits and attitudes of people I’ve met, mixed in with completely made up attributes to round them out.

In Housefly, all of the characters are pretty much completely made up, with the possible exception of the protagonist. He was inspired by the essence (for lack of a better word) of a particular historical figure. Though pulled from my imagination, I feel like he, in some aspects, embodies the spiritual trials I imagine his historical inspiration might have endured.

I know that’s all kind of vague, but I don’t want to give anything away.

Thanks for the excellent question.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Thanks Scott, for being the September SOTM!!

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Nagele | 5 comments heather wrote: "Thanks Scott, for being the September SOTM!!"

You’re welcome, Heather. Thanks for having me!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.