BWGPL Community of Readers discussion

Dark Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 20 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

I am currently reading Heartbroken by Lisa Unger and I am loving the moody dark tone and mystique of the book which is about a family who owns a tiny heart shape island. If you like darker reads about family secrets and actions, this the book for you. This is my first Lisa Unger book and it has captured my attention.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 12 comments I really enjoyed Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn! I can’t wait to see the TV show adaptation.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Hi Kelly! I loved Sharp Objects! I've also read Dark Places and I highly recommend that one. I enjoyed Dark Places more than Sharp Objects. I found it more vibrant than Sharp Objects.

Recently I read Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and I found it incredibly dark. I loved it. It reminded me of the walking dead but without the zombies. I highly recommended it not because it approached the subject of family secrets but because it shows the dark side of humanity when the world has gone crazy.

Currently I am reading The Outsider by Stephen King. It is not as dark as Sharp Objects so far. I am hoping it will be.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 12 comments I just finished a haunting and breathtaking dark read, called Burial Rites by Hannah Kent; it takes place in 1820’s Iceland about a woman who is sentenced to death for a murder. I brought it to Iceland on a 10-day trip thinking I would be too busy to finish it, but was I wrong! I tore through it in 5 days trying to find moments between seeing icebergs and waterfalls that I could read. It was fantastic.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 8 comments Hi All,
I’m late to the party on this one - but Kelly, you just get me! I also read Burial Rites while in Iceland and LOVED IT!!! (also loved Iceland)

Agree with others here about Gillian Flynn. Love her books!

I haven’t read The Outsider, but just finished watching the HBO series and really enjoyed that. I will definitely be adding the other 2 suggestions to my TBR.

My additional recommendation for a dark read would be The Dumb House by John Burnside about a man who conducts an experiment on newborns raised without language or social contact, or The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. A mystery thriller about a crime that happens to a family and the aftermath. It is dark, very gory and full of twists and turns.

Thanks my morbid friends! :p

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 19 comments Mod
I watched the Outsider, too. I thought it was great, and full of dread. King's book 11/22/63 is also dark, and very suspenseful.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 8 comments Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve been hit or miss with Stephen King so far - I’ve read 4: loved 2 of them and didn’t really like the other 2. (Loved Misery and Pet Semetary - didn’t like Cell and wasn’t crazy about It) But after really liking The Outsider show, I think I’d like to try some more King. I’ll add 11/22/63 to my TBR. I’m also interested in The Stand (but it may hit a bit too close to home now given the current state of the world) and Under the Dome. Then I laugh because of course I’m interested in what I think are 2 of his longest books!

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Jen wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve been hit or miss with Stephen King so far - I’ve read 4: loved 2 of them and didn’t really like the other 2. (Loved Misery and Pet Semetary - didn’t like Cell an..."

Hi Jen,

I really loved Stephen King as a teen. I am not sure if it was because I love the dark tones of his work or if it was because his books are everywhere. It seems like every library no matter how small it was would have a SK book.

I have read Doctor Sleep since my first post here, and I found parts of it dark but not like his earlier books.
What did surprise me was the The Grown Up
because it was so much more gritty than her previous books.
Not dark, gritty like a Chuck Palahniuk book.

The dark books that I am looking forward to reading is Her Body and Other Parties and Mexican Gothic I am hoping both have those tenebrosity that I crave at times.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 12 comments Jen, so cool how we both read Burial Rites in Iceland (and loved Iceland)!! I’ve added The Good Daughter to my TBR list, sounds so good!

Probably my favourite dark read since my last post is The Night Olivia Fell by Christina MacDonald. It was actually a combination of young adult romance with dark adult themes but actually worked for me! Had me guessing the truth all the way to the end!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 8 comments Stephanie wrote: "Jen wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve been hit or miss with Stephen King so far - I’ve read 4: loved 2 of them and didn’t really like the other 2. (Loved Misery and Pet Semetary - didn’t ..."
I'm also looking forward to Her Body and Other Parties! I just saw in the Goodreads Blurb that Mexican Gothic is compared to Rebecca... soooo automatically adding it to my TBR for that reason alone! :p

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 8 comments Kelly wrote: "Jen, so cool how we both read Burial Rites in Iceland (and loved Iceland)!! I’ve added The Good Daughter to my TBR list, sounds so good!

Probably my favourite dark read since my last post is The N..."

oooOOOOooo sounds interested - adding it to the list! (which is getting much longer thanks to this thread.. not that I'm complaining at all!!!) :)