What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > prince goes hunting, is infected by something and goes mad; same thing happens to other royals...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments [SO MANY SPOILERS]It starts on a medevil type world. There's a meeting of all the royals who rule the local kingdoms. The prince goes hunting and whatever he is hunting acts strange. A black mark appears on his hand an he goes mad. They find him and bring him back and all the royals get infected go mad and die. The castle burns down but somebody hides something in the wall.

Cut to our world where a bank manager who enjoys maths problems opens a vault in the bank that's been there for over 100 years. Finds a tapestry. Takes it home and him and his roommate who is a teacher I think set it out on the floor. It shimmers a they fall into it. It's a portal to the other world and they land separately on a beach.

They meet up with local rebels fighting this king (who it turns out has the black spot on his wrist and is controlled by an evil being). They all meet a magician and decide to go north. The main character learns magic and uses his nerdy math love to help him use it. They travel through the mountains and some evil king minion creatures find them and they fight them off but one survives. They come across it later and the main guy saves it. It follows them through the mountains and helps them.

At one point there is a raft that gets caught on some magical creature but main guy fights it off with magic after jumping in and swimming down and getting caught himself.

His best mate gets together with one of the rebels. She had been raped by someone with a crescent moon mark and she cuts anyone who touches her and leaves them with a half moon scar.

The main guys new gf from our world works in an antiques shop and she comes looking for him and falls into the portal too. She ends up on a different continent. Meets 2 local rebels/thugs and they help her out. One is huge and kills a lot of people.

The original group escape their pursuers by getting on a boat but think some die.

That's all I can remember. It's been driving me crazy trying to remember what it is called. It may be part of a trilogy but cannot remember.

Please help!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36615 comments Mod
Sarah, around what year did you read this book? This will help narrow down the search.

Please add plot details (a summary without spoilers) and genre to your topic header using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not mobile app). Someone is more likely to recognize your book. Just ask if you'd like help with this.

Tips for posting a book request: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Sarah, I added details from the beginning of your first posting. You can change it by clicking on the small "edit" next to the heading.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40678 comments Mod
Sarah, are you still looking for this or did you find it?