Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 5th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 16, 2018 03:55PM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "second" per user
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 15 seconded suggestions are received.

On the list:
1. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare
2. A book linked to your favorite song or its artist
3. A book that's sad, depressing, devastating or dark
4. A book with a weird or intriguing title
5. A book from a GR list of lesser known books recommended by people in the ATY group
6. A book based on a "classic" monster (eg. vampire, mummy, swamp monster, Frankenstein, zombie)
7. A book about the expatriate experience (characters living abroad and away from their home countries)
8. A book that takes place (mainly) on a mode of transport
9. A book with a meteorological phenomena in the title
10. A book by an author from an island
11. A book set in a place that starts with "I" (country, state, city, etc)
12. Two books: A book with a female protagonist & a book with a male protagonist who are in the same profession
13. A book published in a special-to-you year (birth, graduation, marriage, child born, etc.)
14. A book with a month in the title during that month
15. A book with a (mostly) black cover

Available to be seconded:
A book related to music either by title, cover, subject, or author (musician)

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments Here’s a different prompt than what we have done before:

“A book from a GR list of lesser known books recommended by people in the ATY group.”

So to explain: As a group, we could create a new Goodreads list in which every group member/voter adds one of their favourite books that they think most group members might not know about (we could include restrictions such as, a book you have rated as a 5 and for which fewer than 25000 GR ratings exist, as an example). Each member/voter can only make one book recommendation.

Then when want to complete the prompt, each of us has to pick a book from that list.

There are about 100-150 people who typically vote ( I don’t know how many actually participate in the challenge), so there should be a good selection of books from which we could choose.

message 3: by Milena (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Milena (milenas) | 648 comments "Read a book with a month in the title during that month."

For example, this year I accidentally read March: Book One in March, which gave me the idea for this prompt.

message 4: by Edie (new)

Edie | 983 comments Read a book set in a place that starts with "I" (country, state, city, etc)

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments A book published in a special-to-you year (birth, graduation, marriage, child born, etc.)

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Pick one of your favorite songs and select a book that you can link to the song or artist.

Example:
Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" could be "Lord of the Rings" or "A Song of Ice and Fire" or "Money" by Martin Amis

The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" could be "One Day in the Life of
Ivan Denisovich" or "Life of Pi"

Kenrick Lamar's "Humble" could be Philip Roth's The Humbling or Humble Pie by Gordon Ramsey

message 7: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments I liked a previous suggestion that didn't win, so I'm bringing it back one more time:

A book with a (mostly) black cover.

It can be fun to sort through your Goodreads shelves by book cover, and I was surprised that black covers are a little unusual on my shelves, so that will be a small, fun challenge.

message 8: by dalex (last edited Jul 16, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments I want to give Will another chance. Re-suggesting "A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare."

Some ideas for this prompt:

a title inspired by Shakespeare like The Fault in Our Stars
a book with Shakespeare as a character like Ink and Steel or Fools and Mortals
a book that features a performance of a Shakespeare play like Station Eleven or If We Were Villains
a book that has at least some sort of Shakespearean connection, like in Cascade a Shakespearean theater is part of the plot

You could read a nonfiction book about Shakespeare.

You could read a historical fiction novel set during the Shakespearean time period (Elizabethan era 1558-1603).

You could even look at the Complete List of Shakespeare's Characters (which is like multiple hundreds) and use a book with an author or character with that name.

And, of course, there are many many options for books inspired by Shakespeare like Fool or A Thousand Acres or the books in the Hogarth Shakespeare series. There are several gr lists of books inspired by Shakespeare.

message 9: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I nominate Read a book with a weird or intriguing title.

For example, the title could involve a contradiction (Furiously Happy), a made up word (Garbology, Priestdaddy, Krik? Krak!), or something unexpected (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, When Women Were Birds, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, Advice for Future Corpses (and Those Who Love Them)).

All the above are examples from books on my GR shelves, and I bet everyone has some intriguing titles on their own shelves. If you want suggestions, here are some links:

http://flavorwire.com/283840/the-most...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...
https://www.sadanduseless.com/weird-a...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I will definitely second the Shakespeare one.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie | 822 comments Tammy wrote: "Pick one of your favorite songs and select a book that you can link to the song or artist.

Example:
Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" could be "Lord of the Rings" or "A Song of Ice and Fire" or "Money"..."

I'll second this one.

message 12: by Katie (last edited Jul 16, 2018 07:48AM) (new)

Katie | 2362 comments A book that's sad, depressing, devastating or dark.

Inspiration:
Most Depressing Books of All Time
Not So Happily Ever After
What a Downer
Darkest Books of All Time

message 13: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments A book with a Metereological phenomena in the title

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments This list might be helpful for Vanessa's suggestion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Katie...I really hope yours gets seconded. There are some GREAT books in those lists!

message 16: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Katie wrote: "A book that's sad, depressing, devastating or dark.

Inspiration:
Most Depressing Books of All Time
Not So Happily Ever After
What a Downer
Darkest Books of All Time"

Second this, Katie! Lots of my TBR books fits this, lol

message 17: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Tammy wrote: "Pick one of your favorite songs and select a book that you can link to the song or artist.

Example:
Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" could be "Lord of the Rings" or "A Song of Ice and Fire" or "Money"..."

What a fun and different suggestion 😊 😍

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments I suggest a book related to music either by title, cover, subject, or author (musician).

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Marina H wrote: "Tammy wrote: "Pick one of your favorite songs and select a book that you can link to the song or artist.

Example:
What a fun and different suggestion 😊 😍

Thanks, Marina! I've been following the results comments pages and was trying to come up with something that could be wacky and fun for all of us. And I just love music!

message 20: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments Wow some great suggestions so far. I like all of them and can not decide what to second 🤔

message 21: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 420 comments Cheri wrote: "I nominate Read a book with a weird or intriguing title.

For example, the title could involve a contradiction (Furiously Happy), a made up word (Garbology, [book:Pr..."

I second this one.

message 22: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments I second Sophie's suggestion of making a group list of books to choose from.
It would promote more discussion in the A to Z list and we would get to hype a favourite book that does not get enough love.

message 23: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Sophie wrote: "Here’s a different prompt than what we have done before:

“A book from a GR list of lesser known books recommended by people in the ATY group.”

I second Sophie's suggestion. I like the interactive aspect and the fact that this could lead to finding some real hidden gems!

message 24: by Nadja (new)

Nadja A book which story takes place (mainly) on a mode of transport

This could be on a plane, ferry, ship, bus, car (road trips) but also
on animal (camel/horse riding or horse-drawn vehicles)
or even something sci fi with space ships.

message 25: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments Book based on a “classic” monster (vampire, mummy, swamp monster, Frankenstein).

It could be the original about that monster, or a book that has a twist on that monster. It wouldn’t have to be limited to the listed monsters. I’m sure there are others I forgot!

message 26: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Do zombies and vampires count as classic monsters or do you mean a specific monster rather than a group of monsters?

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1790 comments A book about the expatriate experience, I.e., characters living abroad and away from their home countries, whether self-imposed, because of work opportunities or forced exile. Novels like The Expats (duh), The Sun Also Rises, Eight Months on Ghazzah Street, Two Serious Ladies, are some fine examples.

Here’s a list of some: http://flavorwire.com/560227/25-excel...

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1790 comments Re: expat suggestion, not just Americans living abroad!

message 29: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments Nadine wrote: "Do zombies and vampires count as classic monsters or do you mean a specific monster rather than a group of monsters?"

I would say they're a classic monster!

message 30: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I’ll second a book based on a classic monster.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Rachelnyc, Anastasia got her second in on that topic just before you, so feel free to suggest or second another topic.

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments I love zombie stories so I'm all in on the monster book !!

message 34: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments Me too Nadine! And vampire books

message 35: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Oops, thanks Katie, I must have been typing as Anastasia posted!

I will second Stacey's expat experience suggestion.

message 36: by Katie (last edited Jul 16, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Until Laura updates the master list:

On the list:
1. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare
2. A book linked to your favorite song or its artist
3. A book that's sad, depressing, devastating or dark
4. A book with a weird or intriguing title
5. A book from a GR list of lesser known books recommended by people in the ATY group
6. A book based on a "classic" monster (eg. vampire, mummy, swamp monster, Frankenstein, zombie)
7. A book about the expatriate experience (characters living abroad and away from their home countries)
8. A book that takes place (mainly) on a mode of transport
9. A book with a meteorological phenomena in the title
10. A book by an author from an island
11. A book set in a place that starts with "I" (country, state, city, etc)
12. Two books: A book with a female protagonist & a book with a male protagonist who are in the same profession
13. A book published in a special-to-you year (birth, graduation, marriage, child born, etc.)

Available to be seconded:
Read a book with a month in the title during that month
A book with a (mostly) black cover
A book related to music either by title, cover, subject, or author (musician)

2 spots remaining.

message 37: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
Thank you Katie! I was trying to piece together which ones hadn't been seconded yet.

I'll second the book on a mode of transport.

message 38: by Katherine (new)

Katherine McKenzie | 36 comments I will second a book with a meteorological phenomena in the title.

message 39: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments I would like to suggest a book related to a river - title, cover, subject or author.

message 40: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 934 comments I’ll try again with a book by an author from an island - from Long Island to England to Jamaica to Sri Lanka, tons of room for different types of books and levels of challenge.

message 41: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments Since it hasn't been seconded , may I delete my river suggestion , and second Chrissy's island suggestion?

message 42: by Hélène (last edited Jul 16, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Hélène | 175 comments I second a book set in a place that starts with « I ».

message 43: by Steve (new)

Steve | 606 comments I have a pair suggestion I'm not sure of the best phrasing of (so anyone can suggest better phrasing): A pair of books where one has a male protagonist and another a female protagonist who work the same profession. (Like Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes)

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I will second the linked suggestion: one book with a male protagonist and another with a female protagonist, both in the same profession :)

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments You can definitely do that, Lizzy. I made the change on the master list.

message 46: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments With so many good suggestions this time around I am going to have a difficult time voting.

message 47: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments Nicole wrote: "A book published in a special-to-you year (birth, graduation, marriage, child born, etc.)"

seconding this one

message 48: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 362 comments I will second the book in a special-to-you year suggestion.

message 49: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments I have lost count.... aren't we at 16?

message 50: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
Amy, not all of the sixteen have been seconded so there are, I think, twelve suggestions that have been submitted and seconded so far.

« previous 1