Horror Aficionados discussion

Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)
This topic is about Dandelion Wine
Buddy Reads > Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Char  | 16817 comments Mod
Jen (from the Book Den) and I are planning to read Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine starting around the first week of August. Looks like Barb is going to join us as well!

All are welcome!

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments Thanks, Char! I can't wait! :)

Me either, I'm very excited!
Did you want to start on Weds the first, or wait until the first full week which starts on 8.6?

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments I was planning to start on the 6th. Will that work for you?

Yep! Just trying to get my reading schedule in order. :)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1004 comments Such a fantastic book! Enjoy!

Matthew wrote: "Such a fantastic book! Enjoy!"

As big a Bradbury fan that I am, I can't believe I haven't read this one yet.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1004 comments Char wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Such a fantastic book! Enjoy!"

As big a Bradbury fan that I am, I can't believe I haven't read this one yet."

Oh, yeah! Wow! I think you are going to be blown away!

message 9: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I might want to do this too. Can I tag along? I've never read it. How do the Buddy Reads work? Do you set a certain # of pages per day? Have a group chat? Chat here? Sooo many questions, I'm sorry :)

Of course you can! The more the merrier!

Generally we post here as we read, prefacing our posts with the chapter number, (that would probably work best since we're going to be reading all different versions, I would guess), and then say what we have to say, using spoiler tags as necessary. This way we can each read along at our own pace, and we know not to click on a spoiler if we haven't reached that chapter yet. Also, this way there's no pressure if one of us gets behind and no worries if one of us gets ahead.

Annerlee | 270 comments I'd love to join in too! I started reading it earlier this year , but decided to restart at a more leisurely pace because I felt I was missing out on too many details. I've bought it on audiobook and mean to savour my wine this time. 6 August would suit me fine.

message 12: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Sounds great and similar to the way we do the group reads. My August might possibly be hellacious so I'll see what I can do but I'll be here if I can.

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments I'm glad you guys are joining!

Awesome! :)

Annerlee | 270 comments Looking forward to it : )

Annerlee wrote: "Looking forward to it : )"

Me too! It's going to be fun!

message 17: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 572 comments I might join in provided I can free up sufficient time in my reading schedule. Ray Bradbury was an author that I read extensively in my youth and I’ve been thinking about re-visiting some of his short stories. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I don’t recall whether or not I ever read Dandelion Wine .

No shame or embarrassment here! I hope that you can join us, Canavan. It would be great to have you. :)

message 19: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Ok, I ordered the book. Now I have to read it, right?!

Yes! And yay!

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) Hi. I'm in😊

message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments *waves at Tracy*

Hello and welcome, Tracy! :)

message 24: by Don (new) - added it

Don Gillette | 2 comments I'm in - been putting off reading this forever and now I've got the perfect excuse to start!

Hey, Don! It's great to see you here! :)

Bonnie (missbonnie) I just picked up my copy from the library so I'm all set for August 6th. :)

Hello and welcome, Bonnie!

Bonnie (missbonnie) Thanks! Love Bradbury and this is one I haven't managed to read yet so I'm grateful for the nudge. :)

Bonnie wrote: "Thanks! Love Bradbury and this is one I haven't managed to read yet so I'm grateful for the nudge. :)"

I'm in the same boat, being a big Bradbury fan myself. :)

Sabine | 91 comments I'm in - I read Something Wicked This Way Comes a few months ago and loved it, so I'd love to read more Bradbury :-)

Excellent! We're happy to have you, Sabine! This is shaping up quite nicely, I think. :)

Sabine | 91 comments Char wrote: "Excellent! We're happy to have you, Sabine! This is shaping up quite nicely, I think. :)"

Thanks Char! My one and only previous attempt at a buddy read was The Stand and I failed miserably :( I think this one will be a bit more manageable!

I think so too! :)

message 34: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Moore (kamoorephoto) | 4 comments Hey there! I want to join this one!! I just found a super old copy of the book and I’d love to do a buddy read!

Hey, Katherine! I'm happy to see you here. :)

Elentarri I'm in

Heyyy, Elentarri! It's great to see you. :)

Okay, everyone! Today's the day! I'm hoping to start today on my lunch hour, or at the latest, tonight.

message 39: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 572 comments I’ll probably be lagging a few days behind. I’m finishing off a couple of other other reading projects.

That's cool! We'll be here when you're ready. :)

message 41: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Canavan wrote: "I’ll probably be lagging a few days behind. I’m finishing off a couple of other other reading projects."

I'm always lagging behind. I'm going to *try* to read 50 pages a day this time. We'll see how that goes :)

Tor decided to approve me on Friday for a novella that's coming out tomorrow. So I'm squeezing that in real quick and then I'll start this.
Story of my life, really. :)

message 43: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments I started reading it last night, but I made the mistake of starting really late and I was asleep in no time. :) Nothing shall keep me from it tonight, though!

Do you guys have the introduction by Ray Bradbury in your edition?

Bonnie (missbonnie) Jennifer ☼ wrote: "I started reading it last night, but I made the mistake of starting really late and I was asleep in no time. :) Nothing shall keep me from it tonight, though!

Do you guys have the introduction by ..."

My copy has the introduction. I haven't started it yet though. Tonight for sure. :)

Jennifer ☼ wrote: "I started reading it last night, but I made the mistake of starting really late and I was asleep in no time. :) Nothing shall keep me from it tonight, though!

Do you guys have the introduction by ..."

Yes, I have the intro.

Annerlee | 270 comments I have the intro too. It was really interesting to discover how Ray Bradbury developed his ideas and why his writing is so vivid. Amazing insight.

message 47: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments I think I will go back and read the intro again when I am done. It did seem like wonderful insight.

I'm on page 55 in my edition. The writing is beautiful, but I don't have many feels yet.

message 48: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments On page 30

There’s so much love for tennis shoes, lol. Is that a little boy thing? The store keeper thinks of them as cats and dogs and touches them lovingly. Guess it’s a big boy thing too, ha ha,

The writing is so gorgeous and evocative of summer but I’m tired and will try again tomorrow when it’s finally quiet in my house.

Elentarri I finished the book last night. I liked the writing style, but the story or rather lack of substantial plot put me to sleep. I prefer this author's SF novels rather than whatever this was supposed to be.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1004 comments Elentarri wrote: "I finished the book last night. I liked the writing style, but the story or rather lack of substantial plot put me to sleep. I prefer this author's SF novels rather than whatever this was supposed ..."

I have seen similar responses to this book and totally get it. For me, it kind of reminded me of a Martian Chronicles on Earth. I loved both of them, but, again, understand how Dandelion Wine might not be quite as accessable for some.

« previous 1