2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
ARCHIVE 2018 > Red Queen: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4720 comments This month we will be reading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power. Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime. But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

Ann will be our discussion leader, thank you!

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Wow! This is great since I was planning on reading it anyways!

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3429 comments Not what I voted for in the poll but I have realized I have this on my TBR pile and it help with a few of my challenges so I will be joining you in August. Looking forward to it :)

message 4: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn | 297 comments I bought it on Ebay yesterday when I noticed it was the group pick for August. It sounds good.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 43 comments May or may not give this one a go! It wasn't on my TBR but sounds interesting! We'll see how my pile looks for August!

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I have been wanting to start this series for so long!

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann (hammiam) | 173 comments Looking forward to it discussing it with all of you!

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I must admit, after reading the reviews I am a bit nervous about this one now. It's very much 'you either love it or hate it' and a lot of reviewers are hating it

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this in my TBR! And I've been ignoring it forever, so I'm taking this as a sign that I should finally pick it up and join in for August.

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4720 comments Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I must admit, after reading the reviews I am a bit nervous about this one now. It's very much 'you either love it or hate it' and a lot of reviewers are hating it"

Not necessarily. I neither loved nor hated it. I thought it was good.

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate I agree with Winter. It wasn't the greatest thing ever but I liked it enough to want to continue with the series.

Suaad (I just want a cat) (suaadijustwantacat) Im so excited to read it because I was planning to so for a while now. Given the mixed reviews it has, I'm sure the discussions will be interesting to participate in as well

message 13: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn | 297 comments I don't much care for reviews anyway. Going by reviews, everyone claimed I'd "just love" Little Fires Everywhere and I definitely did not lol So I go by my own judgement now. That's what matters most IMO.

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Suaad (I just want a cat) wrote: "Im so excited to read it because I was planning to so for a while now. Given the mixed reviews it has, I'm sure the discussions will be interesting to participate in as well"

I agree!

Vanessa (vanessareadspj) | 12 comments It has been on my TBR for ages. So that’s a great reason to finally read it.

message 16: by Zoë (new) - added it

Zoë Neo | 214 comments This book has been on my TBR for a long time, and I was given it for Christmas but haven't yet read it. Was planning on taking it with me on holiday next month so will hopefully be joining in!

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim | 142 comments It's been a while since I joined a group read but I'm on holiday now so have the time, and this looks like something I might enjoy a lot. So I'm in (and starting a bit early as I just finished my previous book).

message 18: by Ketty (new) - added it

Ketty (bowsandbooks) | 270 comments This book has been sitting on my shelf for like ever it seems like. Hopefully I can blow through the rest of Harry Potter really fast and join in this group read.

message 19: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments Read this book right after it came out a few years ago and loved the entire series. I hope ya'll enjoy! I recommend that if you do like the book and want to read the series, try to read them all close together. I found that I missed things in waiting for the new book to come out each year.

message 20: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments This looks like a fun read and I was able to grab a copy of the audiobook from the library so I'll be joining in on this one.

Melissa | 139 comments I just moved up on the waiting list at my library and am looking forward to picking this one up and starting it!

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1411 comments This wasn't on my TBR, but I've seen a lot of people read it and love it, so since it's the group read, I decided to pick it up. I didn't realize it was young adult/dystopian, which is one of my favorite genres!

Sarah Long | 39 comments I feel silly that I missed the location of these discussions and I'm 90% done with the book. I would have loved to talk about it in all the different discussions. Now I know. Like many others this wasn't on my list but it's good.

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3429 comments Sarah wrote: "I feel silly that I missed the location of these discussions and I'm 90% done with the book. I would have loved to talk about it in all the different discussions. Now I know. Like many others this ..."
Even though you've nearly finished, you can still post your thoughts about earlier parts of the book if you want to

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victoria Aveyard (other topics)