Addermire Institute (Semi-Advanced) discussion

Parties and Events > | chess club meeting room

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (davekatislife) | 1501 comments Mod
description

message 2: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Chess wasn't her first choice. There were plenty of clubs she'd tried to get into. But Margo had gotten into school within the second semester, many of them were full. Hell she even tried her luck with art club - no cigar. And so now she was here, standing in the middle of the relatively empty chess room and clutching her bag over her shoulder. This was a damn disaster. Maybe she shouldn't have signed up for any club at all. As she thought about - she realized that she'd only really joined a club for the express purpose of later on saying that she'd been in a club in highschool.

She sat by the window, staring down at the pieces and furrowing her brows. She could play checkers, but chess was... a mess in comparison.

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin walked in placing his gym bag down by the door. He didn't appear to be sweaty or overexerted by any means. However, his flaxen hair was still wet from the showers. He wore suit pants and brown leather shoes. He had a plum colored dress shirt and a dark vest stretching across his muscles. He moved toward a spare seat in front of the girl who invited herself into the school a full semester late. He didn't speak a word analyzing the game board. From the befuddled look on the girl in front of him he raised an eyebrow as he realized she had no idea that someone had started the game and left it in checkmate opportunity. He moved his king up and smiled, "Checkmate." He waited to see how the girl would react to him knowing very well the situation could go two very different ways and he was not fond of either. She was going to ask to be taught or she would make a scene. Cethin smirked as the evident defeat crept toward the girl.

message 4: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Margo didn't seem at all impressed. She blinked a few times at him, raising a brow and tilting her head, "... Who the hell are you?" she questioned, voice lowered as to remain considerate of the others in the room. She wasn't the type to make a scene if there was no point, and she wasn't about to start getting friendly with this guy. Not with recent events, not with everyone on edge. Frankly, she was suspicious of just about everyone lately.

message 5: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin sat in front of her finally and leaned back into his chair. He studied her seeing how tense she was. "Well, you know I'm not here to start problems." Evil might be running a muck with the Moon formed citizens, but it does not affect Cethin like it does others. At least to him there was no effect. Cethin was going to be left to help run things with his parents when hell's gates break loose. He straightened his form and leaned toward her, "I'm sure you are left feeling unfamiliar, but I'm Cethin Orpheus of the Naga bloodline." He continued to study Margo seeing her tense, which was natural in such dark times even he was more tense, but he had no reason to fear anyone.

message 6: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

There were several beats of silence and she raised her brows, waiting for him to explain further, "... Am I supposed to know who that is?" she questioned. She'd been raised in Portermount herself - but within the wilds of the fae lands, she didn't often hear about the surrounding isles. He seemed pretty entitled though, she was already getting a bad feeling about him.

message 7: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin wanted to laugh but knew it could set off a few others who seemed uneasy just by the vibes the two were giving each other. "I come from a prominent family here in Portermount. My parents are great contributors to the cause of the institute." He leaned closer, "I'm part of your house and you still don't know me? Let me guess you are some Sun born raised on the isles that have little to nothing to do for Portermount apart from hide from the mundane realm." He snickered for a moment crossing his arms, "You probably came here after begging your family too, huh? With Chaotic Evil on the lose and the veil of the mundane world thinning no doubt you are just as scared as the sparkless should be." He cleared his throat and looked to others who were staring at them. "You know eyes go for a pretty good price for those cannibalistic tribes on the darker isles. Why not keep your peeps to yourself before I give them to someone else." Quickly the other students in the room went back to their own personal endeavors. He looked Margo over, "I don't know your name because I'm sure it has held little importance even here, so let's start with kinder introductions. I'm Cethin Orpheus and you are?" He stuck his hand out awaiting to shake politely.

message 8: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

She listened to him, sitting back and eyeing him up and down, still unimpressed. "I was invited to Addermire, by the headmistress herself." she leaned forward suddenly, eyes narrowing at him, cold and unwavering, "And I'd be careful with that kind of talk, don't matter how much money you've got, you can't buy silence. People gossip, word gets around that you support that cause and you'll get your ass thoroughly tenderized - and then you'll be expelled. And I don't gotta tell you my name. You can judge me by my actions" she raised her middle finger, grinning at him bitterly.

message 9: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin was rather taken back when she showed such profanity. He looked to the others, "People can talk all they want, but the smart ones stay silent and just listen and obey." He was starting to feel this girl had more on her plate than she knew how to handle. "Well, this is the Chess Club, do you have a match today or are you going to tell the headmistress that I wasn't playing fair?" His pupils turned into serpentine slits for only a moment. "My support of the cannibal tribes has nothing to do with my education. Besides, if the Moonborn get their way they will be able to feast on all the mortals they want once the veil drops. I'm no supporter of such a disgraceful cause. The mundane are beneath us, but I do not promote careless slaughter." He smirked a bit the corner of his lip twitching only slightly, "I simply threaten it."

message 10: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Margo tilted her head, "I think you know about this war just as well as you know your ass from your face - which is to say, not very well." she challenged, eyes flickering over him judgmentally now. "And I'm not a twelve year old, I'm not about to go nark to the headmistress about some douche bag with a god complex"

<< btw he probably wouldnt actually know anything about chaotic evil and that particular primordial problem?
the civil war itself is about whether or not people want to enslave/slaughter mundanes or shut portermount off from the mundane world entirely (as well as throne rights)
but yeah he wouldnt have access to that info >>

message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((Sorry my bad I presumed otherwise...I thought everyone knew when they felt the quake. Must have misread some of that.))

Cethin stood in defiance, slamming his fist onto the table causing the chess pieces to scatter. "I do not have a god complex!" He looked intensely at Margo, "If you knew better you would know when to be polite. Eventually, the public will turn against the crown. You felt it! We all felt it! Something horrible is coming and we will all be forced to choose sides." He straightened his composure and sat back in his seat in front of Margo. "Whispers are heard at every corner of both realms. War is already upon us it is now at the point who will win. The primordial's are for the religious to believe in, but I know it's just to create factions and chaos among us. Shade, Moon, and Sun is just how they try to divide us and it's worked. Whoever set up a system like that didn't consider that we are just as tyrannical as the mundane. We destroy what we fear just as they destroyed us we will destroy ourselves." Cethin never got into politics, but he knew what he thought he knew and very few opinions would ever change his thought process. He may not have seen it in this moment, but he was setting himself up for failure before even making it out of school. He was going to be as a mundane beggar shouting about the end times coming. He held enough stress from his father pushing on him the family role of superiority and now civil war was on the verge of destroying both realms. He felt sickened by the thought that his future would involve the mundane creatures of the other realm. He feared for the future of his families position in society. Once one system collapsed the other would follow.

message 12: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

<< nah it's chill, i dont think i specified it anywhere else other than the nine divines post, and even then it was briefly glossed over
there's a lot of lore, so it's my fault, no worries >>

Margo jumped faintly at his outburst, eyes widening. She glanced around, a sort of "yall aren't gonna do anything about this weirdo?" look crossing her expression. But no one even glanced over. All of them were cowards. "You're... fucking crazy. Seriously. You're fucking insane" she shook her head, sighing heavily. Did she believe in the divinities? To some degree, sure. And based on what she'd seen with the quakes - it'd effected the moon born significantly more. But she didn't see why that meant one was better or worse - they were just different.

message 13: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin sighed rather irritated now as he started to place the pieces back to starting positions. He even was generous enough to fix her side. As he fixed their board he looked around, He leaned in speaking softer, "I apologize for my outburst, I'll leave you to your own beliefs and we will see who ends on the living side." He spoke very calmly, which was strange given his previous heated outburst. "My Naga temper gets the best of me at times. I suppose it's what makes me such a formidable opponent. Or at times, predictable." He looked over Margo curiously, "As I said before I am Cethin Orpheus of the Naga...May I know your name? You don't have to tell me your race because I have little judgments to give for those born under the Moon unless they have something to give back."

message 14: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((Did you leave?))

message 15: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

<< sorry ive been mega busy >>

She stared at him, her expression softening as she listened in closely. Maybe she'd misjudged him, she knew that some of the more potent sparked - the ones who were born from strong family lines, were more in touch with their abilities, but also more volatile. She felt a little bad for calling him crazy. "... Margo Demacia" she spoke quieter as well. Her name was well known, but not for the reasons that his was. Her mother was a healer, quite a prominent figure within both the mundane world and Portermount's many isles. "... I'm sorry for calling you fucking crazy - and flipping you off - and disrespecting your family's name. Okay maybe I'm not that sorry for flipping you off but I'm kinda sorry" she half smiled.

message 16: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((NP I'm pulling 12's at work this weekend))

Cethin grinned only by a fraction so as to ensure no one else saw. "I do suppose I deserved all of it." He admitted as an almost pale blush flushed his cheeks. "Well, without the aforementioned outburst of mine, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Margo Demacia." He raised his eyebrow at her curiously. "Sorry, but you wouldn't happen to be in relation to a particular healer, would you?" He paused for a moment pondering how this girl truly felt about having a notable family name. "It's just I had a cousin who had rot-scale. A horrible disease which just happens to effect the reptilian sorts. It prevents us from maintaining a full human form. The symptoms can only be treated, but it's not something that can be cured. A healer by that name stopped the rot-scale on my cousins arm leaving a nasty scar, but she has had a full recovery and no more symptoms." Cethin had no clue why he was telling her this as it was surely spread when the healer cured her.

message 17: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"My mom" Margo admitted, though she seemed a little apprehensive. She was trying desperately to meet those expectations, but no matter how desperately she struggled to gain a sharper grasp on that specific magical expertise, she found herself at a standstill, her powers were destructive and often she found she just did more damage than anything else. She didn't continue, biting the inside of her cheek nervously.

message 18: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin nodded feeling discomfort with the situation. He looked at Margo in a very awkward way. Surely, it would make many feel uncomfortable just by witnessing how intense his disecting stair truly was. His fingers drummed against the game table and he allowed another grin to escape his regal form. "It's okay Margo, I am Saffron House and we stick together no matter how much better I am than everyone else." He finally allowed a full smile as the corner of his eyes slightly crinkled. His laugh was almost serpentine, but not at all threatening.

message 19: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Margo rolled her eyes at that and the tension in her posture loosened a little. She thought he was a narcissist, she thought he was an asshole, but he was charming in that sense - and it was even more annoying that he was. "So you're a lizard, how the hell are you better than everyone else?" she challenged.

message 20: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments He hissed a laugh and moved his knight on the chess board. "You can only move the knights in an 'L' formation. I'm white so I move first." He explained carefully before sighing exaggerated with a clear sarcastic undertone, "Snake, rather than lizard. It's okay, a common misconception given we maintain our arms in natural form." He stuck his,nose in the air crossing his arms and leg. "And I thought we weren't going to judge. " He was truly trying to lighten her spirits. His cold eyes seemed to swim with a light of their own.

message 21: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments He couldnt stop looking at her. Her skin was dark like the tree bark of ancient woods. She was almost nymph-like. He wasn't crushing on her, though. His family beat their customs so deep into his mind he cringed at the thought of such things that would go against it.

((Sorry phone to is hard but I'm,trying to be active))

message 22: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"A snake with arms is a lizard hun" she persisted, sticking her tongue out and rolling her eyes before taking her turn. She wasn't aiming to win - she didn't actually know how to play Chess, as stated before. So she just moved the one that looked like it needed to move - which was her pawn. "But whatever, lizard, snake, they're both reptiles in the end. You'd still stick your chin up and get all snooty even if you were half leopard gecko" she grumbled.

message 23: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin laughed lightly, "I suppose you are right. But, do you really think anyone would be able to be snooty as a gecko? I mean coming from the reptile..."He gestured to himself sarcastically dignified, "I don't feel gecko's to be very vain or good at conversation enough to be vain." He moved his pawn lining with hers. "There may be no difference between the two to one who does not need to be differentiated from the lizard people and the Gemini." He stood for a moment and turned to get a beverage at the table behind them. A small serving table to snacks and drinks was perfect to keep the fat chess kids playing for hours. He poured a brew of coffee, "Would you like anything, Margo?" He spoke very differently toward her now. His tone seemed far less judging and more accepting. Now he truly was starting to see her as an equal. She was in Saffron and she held a chess club membership. He had to accept her one way or another and he didn't seem too disappointed that he had managed to do so in a positive manner verses the usual judging he would brush onto people. Cethin almost held an approachable aura. He could even tell the atmosphere in the room was gradually lightening.

message 24: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Margo tried to think about her childhood leopard gecko raising his chin in pompous disdain and ended up just sitting back in a small fit of giggles, raising a brow at his request and thinking for a moment, "... I still don't like you, but... I'll take a coffee" she shrugged.

message 25: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin turned back after filling two cups of coffee up. He placed the cups beside the game board and turned for a small tray of cream and sugar. He looked at others in the room just for a glance and realized that no one was staring, not even in disgust or disliking as most should. "I must say Margo, I have little care for the opinion of me from others. However, I will do my best to ensure that you at least know I am here to help you. Fae isles or the Naga isles I expect you to find an ally with your own house." He wasn't used to holding the desire to be nice to others, but he saw a potential it bestowed. Clearing his throat he looks much more stern at Margo, "Why do you not like me. I'm teaching you chess, discussing my feelings about the mundane, and bringing you a hot cup of java." Sighing a bit he squinted at Margo. "I'm a very likable person to those I wish to be kind toward." He spoke reassuringly. He didn't understand why Margo would say she didn't like him. He wasn't bothered by the fact, but by whom the fact came from. He felt he had to prove himself a good companion to his housemate. Naturally, he was not going to be proving anything to anyone, but he was going to do his best to get a new opinion from his current acquaintance.

message 26: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Margo watched him and her smile turned bitter as she thrummed her fingertips against the desktop, "You know Cethin, the kind of people who really don't care about what other people think about them typically don't need to let people know. If you have nothing to prove to me - then why are you trying so hard to make a case?" she tilted her head, raising her brows expectantly, calmly stirring sugar and cream into her coffee, "Thank you" she spoke politely, nodding once. "I don't like you because you haven't given me reason to like you. I'll treat you with decency, but my favor is hard to earn" she explained.

message 27: by Jacob (last edited Aug 10, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin laughed at Margo unable to help himself. It was a full laugh which didn't happen too often. "I have no need to make a case, you are correct. I simply do not care what they think, but I will always try and make them think the way that I do." He drank a sip from his cup, black. "I see what you are saying Margo, but I also see that I can make you smile. You like me..." He smirked a bit, "Just not enough for you to say it."

message 28: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Her eyes fixated on him and for a moment and a moment only her wings were visible. Though they quickly became transparent. They were a dark, almost royal purple. They fluttered faintly, flustered and agitated. But she still smiled, "I despise you." she said simply, her expression never changing as she pushed one of her pieces to the next spot.

message 29: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments Cethin grinned playfully as he moved a piece from his side. "Well, it is a shame, but coming from you I will consider it a compliment." He looked Margo over studying her. Her wings fluttering made him feel uneasy she was either in no way desiring his company or she was just teasing. He couldn't tell and because of it he was beginning to dismiss it altogether. Cethin waited for Margo's next move, but as he waited her thoughts on him continued to whisper in the back of his mind. He naturally was not about to let on as if he cared anything at all. His family would be proud of him being cordial with another renown family, but his father always watched closely on him as a boy to ensure his mingling did not become too friendly. Friendly relations of any sort were only tolerated so far if the other individual were not of Naga blood. "You are a fast learner at the game. I think you chose the right club to go on your record." He smirked seeing as she only moved her pawns in the one direction they would always go in.

message 30: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((Helloooo? Is this still a thing for us?))

message 31: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((Hey "Outsider" or Whales...Whatever, I hate if this is coming off as rude, but I'd really like to roleplay with Cethin so I can develop my character more. If you wouldn't mind, I don't mind roleplaying him with you and I get you got a life just like the rest of us. I just really would enjoy it if we could get back on track :( pweeez))

message 32: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

<< you can roleplay a character in multiple locations, as long as you designate time.
also you tend to come off as really passive aggressive
it's just outsider thanks
i go by olly or outtie >>

Margo furrowed her brows once more at his words, uncertain as to why he was so damn persistent. Frankly she found it irritating as well as painfully fake.

message 33: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((How do you mean passive aggressive I promise if I had a problem you would be aware hahaha. First time I ever heard that, but I have been told people don't know how to take me at first so perhaps in small doses lol. Thanks for being honest with me ^_^ I swear if passive aggressive is what you are getting I'll shorten my own personality to fix the problem. I try not to talk to people on here too much anymore because of personality problems that are only perceived rather than fact. In the words of the Animals, "Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood." ))

message 34: by Jacob (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((It's understandable I've been there for me it's work, work, work, and then roleplay))

Cethin rolled his eyes at Margo unable to see what her problem really was at present, "Look, we got off on the wrong foot. I apologized and you still act like holding a grudge against me is going to fix the problem. I come here to clear my thoughts and others just make it difficult. Since when did Chess Club become so popular to those of dramatic attributes?" He knew very well just how dramatic he was being just by speaking of dramatic people in his horrible way of conveying his thoughts to others. Cethin was not the people person and he could tell that Margo was becoming more and more agitated, "Look, I'm used to getting what I want so when I want a friend I usually get one, or someone buys me one." He was referring to his parents buying people off to make Cethin appear approachable. "If you have your mind set on hating me go ahead, but at least let me know before you start so I know to hate you back." He moved his rook up and knocked her pawn off the board.

message 35: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 125 comments ((Again, I do apologize for any misconception on my responses that may have been taken out of context. I love your group and I want all my charries to do well. If I feel too much needs to be flipped then my idea must be scrapped. I'm just slowly starting to understand the full plot and theme, but I promise I will try to come across more cordial.))