It's Kind of a Funny Story It's Kind of a Funny Story discussion

Mental Health

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Akridge "It's Kind of a Funny Story," by Ned Vizzini, is a young adult novel that addresses many aspects of mental health. The novel opens on Craig Gilner, a high school student struggling to juggle the pressures of competitive academics and awkward social relationships. Eventually, the rejection of a romantic advance causes him to contemplate self-harm, an activity he avoids by contacting a suicide hotline and checking in to a mental hospital, Six North. Here, other patients befriend Craig, exposing him to other mental health disorder and symptoms: depression, drug-use, anger, etc. By the time Craig is ready to leave Six North, he has the support of his family, the promise of a new relationship, and fresh academic goals.
Initially, I was drawn to this book because of one of my friends from high school. She introduced me to the movie "It's Kind of a Funny Story," and shared with me her personal struggle with self image and mental health hospitals. I jumped at the opportunity to actually read the book! Of course, I found the novel version much more emotional and touching. I like how mental health is portrayed in the book; it shows a range of disorders and symptoms, normalizing mental health issues and showing a skeptical audience that mental health isn't a ploy for attention.

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Yeah, I think that a lot of these mental health books are working to normalize mental health issues. I'm glad you enjoyed your read this week!