The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Something in the Water
This topic is about Something in the Water
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5313 comments We had a tie in our voting this month, so using random.org to decide, our winning group read for August is Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

A shocking discovery on a honeymoon in paradise changes the lives of a picture-perfect couple in this taut psychological thriller debut--for readers of Ruth Ware, Paula Hawkins, and Shari Lapena.

If you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?

Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough, Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the water. . . .

Could the life of your dreams be the stuff of nightmares?

Suddenly the newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt? Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events. . . .

Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave?

Wonder no longer. Catherine Steadman's enthralling voice shines throughout this spellbinding debut novel. With piercing insight and fascinating twists, Something in the Water challenges the reader to confront the hopes we desperately cling to, the ideals we're tempted to abandon, and the perfect lies we tell ourselves.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5313 comments I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of this one. I'm not sold on it yet, but I've seen some good reviews.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5313 comments Is anyone planning thread this one? I'd love to see your thoughts if you are reading it or have read it already.

DrKmW (chouchou24) | 10 comments I have read it. It’s mildly interesting. Yes it is a thriller, and I wanted to know how it would end. But I felt bored at times by extraneous or repetitive paragraphs. In addition there are too many back and forth between past and current time. That is, the narrative does not flow from the beginning to the end, but is broken into multiple segments. Some elements are unrealistic.
I feel lukewarm about this book.

Mary | 16 comments This book just never quite hit all the marks in my opinion. I can have a hard time rooting for characters that make just extremely poor decisions and it seemed like the story was based on the main character making poor choices. I had a physical copy and the audiobook to listen on my work commute. When reading it was difficult at times to get into it, but the reader for the audiobook was really good and made it more interesting. If you’re going to read, go with audiobook in my opinion.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Something in the Water (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Catherine Steadman (other topics)