Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > A tough question...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Pratt (cathysboondockreviews) | 2 comments A tough question even I cannot really answer. The question is....
There are audio books for busy and blind people.... What would happen to the deaf people who loves books like me?? If there were no more print books and every book is an audio book then how will the deaf people enjoy reading??

I am deaf and I have no idea what would happen. I just want to see what each of you would say. I have no idea if it would happen.

message 2: by ダンカン (new)

ダンカン | 4 comments There is kindle...

message 3: by Tyler (last edited Jul 15, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 80 comments Ebooks...Kindle...Nook...there is overdrive, an app where you can read Ebooks from the library not to mention all the freebies and sales.

And you can download the Amazon Kindle app onto a phone or a desktop computer so you don't even have to buy a kindle to read kindle books

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Pratt (cathysboondockreviews) | 2 comments Ok but what about if the deaf person has no kindle or computer? We wholly depend on print books. What happens when technology has nothing for the deaf? Blind people have audio books and a few Braille books. Dead people have only print books. When they stop making print books in the future what is to happen. I think about this every single day and the only thing I can come up with is a live action "book".

message 5: by Serena (new)

Serena Darking (serenadarking) | 26 comments I doubt books would ever go out of print! If you have a library then you can borrow ebooks from there using overdrive. Also, printed books are expensive so saving money for something like a kindle is manageable. I don't think books will be going out of print anytime soon because plenty of people still buy physical books and to get rid of them would put bookstores and libraries pretty much out of business.

message 6: by elena (new)

elena (elenavhaps) | 39 comments I think if print books ever do stop selling (which, if they do, it won’t be in the near future) it will only be because the vast majority of people use ebooks, and if ebooks become easier to access than print books. I understand your concern, but I wouldn’t worry about it right now, as print books do still exist, and most likely will for a very long time. :-)

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Cathi Pratt, while I am not deaf, I'm heading that way. And I've started stockpiling now. As long as I have my personal books, I'm fine.

I'm not sure how this will be handled in the future (nor how blindness will be handled either) but I'm sure that some smart person will figure out a way to make books accessible for the deaf AND make a ton of money while they are at it.

message 8: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments I'm a librarian, and in library world, they have been saying for 15 years that the day of the print book is over. Well, while I can say that our e-book circulation has soared in the past two years, print books are also up, especially in such burgeoning areas as YA fiction, and I don't think you need to fear that print books will go away any time soon. I buy about 50 a month for my teen section at my library, and only buy about 10 e-books, because my teenagers don't want to read e-books, they want the print ones. As long as demand is there, the books will be there. Also, libraries are the last bastion of so-called outdated media, because we are all about equity of access. So we had video tapes and cassette tapes and CDs long after anybody else still had those things, because we cater to the lowest common denominator in terms of what people are able to afford in their lives. We still check out CDs and DVDs and probably will for another decade. So don't panic!