What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice #2)
This topic is about Alice in Rapture, Sort of
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/children's Judy Blume-ish book, read around early-mid nineties. Involves a female character who does not like to eat in front of other people. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 4 comments Cannot recollect the actual plot of the book, but it involves a female character (tween/teenage) who does not like to eat in front of other people. Said best-friend female character and main female main character go on a double date with two boys, and best-friend female discloses that she cannot eat potato chips in front of other people. Main character is very understanding and distracts boys from noticing that girl is not eating at restaurant.

Read around 1990-1995. Probably written earlier, like in 1980's. This scene has remained with me forever!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Is it just that one scene, or does she have an eating disorder which is mentioned multiple times?

Christine | 4 comments I don't remember it being the focus of the book. I do remember the scene being treated very matter-of-factly, as in the main character simply accepted that her friend had this issue and that there was nothing really wrong with not being able to eat in front of people. Even as a child, I felt that this was probably something that should be dealt with, and was kind of shocked that the scene took place without the eating issued being addressed further.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann | 535 comments Bump.

message 5: by Netta (new)

Netta | 25 comments This reminds me of the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I'm almost positive it is one of them. I seem to remember her shyer friend Elizabeth doing this. I don't remember which book. I'm guessing one of the ones when they were almost out of middle school or going into high school when they would have started dating. The causes of the issue was addressed in later books. I will do some digging to see if I can find the exact title.

message 6: by Netta (new)

Netta | 25 comments Alice in Rapture, Sort of

pretty sure this is it though there are 3 girls and 3 boys so a triple date

there is a scene where Elizabeth says:
"It’s disgusting,” she said. “Think about it. You put food in your
mouth and it gets all mixed up with spit and you chew it up into a revolting mess and swallow it. And we’re supposed to do all that in front of
boys?” "

Then her 2 friends distract the 3 guys on the next date. Then on the nextdate she is eating potato chips and it goes silent just as she bites into a chip so she is embarrassed.

Christine | 4 comments Netta wrote: "Alice in Rapture, Sort of

pretty sure this is it though there are 3 girls and 3 boys so a triple date

there is a scene where Elizabeth says:
"It’s disgusting,” she said. “Think abou..."

YES! Oh my gosh, you found it! Thank you!

message 8: by Netta (new)

Netta | 25 comments Yay! You're welcome. I love this series so it sounded familiar. I'm glad it was the one:)