Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Episode 9/ Season 2: I Will Rise Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Wow. Just. Wow.

So of course, I'm going to comment on all the Eric parts first. It's my bias.

Eric took bullets for her and Sookie just shoves him off and tosses him aside. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Son of a mother. And Eric's face while conning Sookie and after=priceless. He looked so smug!

Bill's convo with Sookie re: the link between Eric and her is skewed from the books. Just taking blood is not supposed to create a permanent link--it should fade over time. What will this change for the show mean for the blood BOND later?

But the part that had me gasping. Sookie and Eric in bed. Oh. My. Firstly, the chemistry was certainly there. And Eric was acting more like my dear flirty Viking from the books. The whole exchange was absolutely fantastic and flowed beautifully.

However, I don't like that the show has made the blood link completely responsible for their sexual attraction. Puts the whole thing on such deceitful ground.

WHY was Lorena popping into Sookie's dream? Lorena's last words to Bill sounded ominous, but how could she have any link with Sookie? I don't think the link with Eric would produce thoughts of Lorena. Maybe Lorena is just Sookie's conscience talking?

The final scenes were heart-wrenching. Eric's demand that Godric stay alive and then begging? Quite the turn around from Mr. Cool and Confident. And it's overwhelming proof that yes, Eric does have the ability to love. Godric's sense of peace was wonderful.

And all that's just ONE storyline!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 73 comments It was an amazing episode! Sookie's dream with Eric wow! Hoyt's mother is crazy ,and it was sad what happened to Godric, and Eric actually showing emotion. Things are finally going to get heated in the sookie-bill-eric triangle.
Next week's episode looks crazy when they get back to Bontemps and the place looks like a tornado came through cant wait!

message 3: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 8 comments Did you not think that this was the most heart wrenching and yet hilarious episode yet? I (I know, I'm a softy) cried when Eric cried. But I laughed out loud so many times with everyone's witty dialogue! This show has brilliant writers! I just loved Sookie's comment to Jason about his brain "actually use it, not just let it fill up space in your skull." and Sarah's comment to Steve on TV, "I hate your hair." I really laughed on that one.
Godric meeting the sun was as brilliant and beautiful in the show as it was in the book. Perfection. And Eric! His tears! And he was begging him not to do it, it was so painful, and sweet. I cried.... I guess I'm just one of those people that cry when others cry, if there's a good reason, even if they are on TV. :)

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Jason is back to Rambo mode next week. EXCITING!

Jason's not dumb, he's lazy? Bah hah hah!

The TV interview with the Newlins and Nan was AWESOME! Steve's paintball mark! Sarah's outburst! "We're fighting for God's green earth and daytime and Christmas and Easter eggs and all that is sacred and good...I hate your hair."

Hoyt calling his momma out on her hatred...I was very proud of him. Til he took the sandwich.

Poor Jessica. She was trying so hard. The babies line was an incredibly low blow, especially after hearing she was turned against her will.

Lafayette's scenes were great, as always. He's got Maryanne's number. He even flipped Eggs (the man, not the food)! Damn, that scene retrieving Tara was the best yet in that storyline.

I knew Lafayette would make everything better. I'm sure Maryanne wishes he was hers. And I bet Lafayette is glad he had him some strength-boosting vampire blood recently.

Just awesome.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 73 comments ugh ya i do that too^^ cry if i see other people cry it kind of sucks sometimes.

message 6: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 8 comments Maxine Fortenberry sure does have a lot of hatred. Women who wear red shoes, checkered curtains, shame shame. Full of hate. :) Hoyt was great in this episode. It really showed the characters range. I just couldn't help but think when he was putting Jessica to bed, 'she's gonna kill him.' I don't want it to be that way, but it's such a good thing and good things never last. boo

message 7: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline (evangeline9) | 8 comments At least I know I'm not the only one with a waterworks issue! I watched it twice tonite and cried both times! I just can't take a grown man begging, especially if he's an extremely gorgeous viking.

message 8: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I definitely teared up at that, and twice just like you, Evangeline!

And gorgeous is right. Am I crazy, or was Alex looking even more good looking than usual? I think it was all the smiling and looks of adoration in bed. (Now THAT scene, I've watched three times already.)

message 9: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) That’s ok, I think we’re all a little emotionally incontinent at times.

Yes, I LedMAO at the Newlins. Ah, Sarah, Sarah. Too bad you’re a whore cause that was hella-funny.

Sarah: We are fighting for God's green earth & daytime, & Christmas & Easter eggs and all that is sacred and good.. we are fighting for....
Steve: For human rights! Human Rights!
Sarah: Can I finish a thought?!
Steve: What, you were done?
Sarah: If he's not center of attention, he just flips out!
Steve: You need to read you some Saint Paul, Missy!
Sarah: I hate your hair!

There was more to that conversation and Im going to watch it again and see if I can catch the rest of it.

Sookie: You A-hole!
Eric: Bill, you’re right. I can sense her emotions.
The way he was laying there with his arm behind his head and his leg up, that was hilarious. They could have done a much better job with that though. That was supposed to turn him on. On the show, he just looks amused. I dunno. I thought that was a little off.

The part where Sookie and Eric were making out/copulating was disturbing. I didn’t like it at all. I mean, hell yeah, it was sexy…but it was wrong. It felt…wrong. I don’t disagree with the chemistry part at all, it was there. And there. And all over my freakin TV. But it was just SO different from the books, it bothered me. Ill get over it, No worries.

JASON, Jason, Jason. What else can I say but that we ALL love his sexability.

Sam, Tara Eggs and Maryanne. Ugh. Im glad that something interesting is happening with that now. Its about freakin time! Sam the fly. Seriously, how many of us has ever wanted to be the proverbial fly on the wall. Whoda thunk it. Terry cracks my shit up! Hes a cutie.

Way to go Hoyt! I laughed when he went back for the toasted cheese though. When you stop and think about it, he tells off his mama, says hes not coming back and then takes her food anyway. That’s like rubbing salt in the wound cause, you know, shes a big woman. You just know she was eyeballin that toasted cheese, just rubbin her greedy little rat paws together when he started to walk away from it. Her and her wanting grandbabies so she can make them fat just like her. I hope Jessica has to turn Hoyt into a vampire! That would show her!

I hate the TV Vampire bitch. Who does she think she is anyway? LOL at Stan getting killed. Gross with the guts all over the wall. But when Jason shook them off his hands and they splatted on the floor. Hahahah! Ah, those crazy kids and their guts. Oh, and did anyone else catch Isabel check that first vampire dressed in black for a pulse?

I didn’t like Bill. I called him a pussy when Eric told him it was done and over and to move and HE DID! Way to stand up for yourself and your woman. Dork.

Godric was sad and beautiful. I cried. I love how he said that he could see God in Sookies tears. What a fabulous way to end the episode. Nuff said. *sniff sniff* ;(

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Kenna: "I didn’t like Bill. I called him a pussy when Eric told him it was done and over and to move and HE DID! Way to stand up for yourself and your woman. Dork."

LOL! Too right!

And I know what you mean about the bed dream being off, but I loved it. Why? Because it's Eric of course. And he was actually being light and flirty, which show Eric hasn't had time for so far.

But you're making me think about it more and it's really sorta Eric from Dead to the World, isn't it? Attitude-wise. Being that cutesy and complimenting and lovey dovey.

Plus, like I said, I don't like this blood bond being the reason for sexual attraction. Stop cheapening my man!

First Lorena, and now he needs blood to inspire a girl's lust? Bah!

But keep him naked in bed. More please.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma O (emmielou0110) | 4 comments I loved this episode. It was my favorite yet. I loved how they sorta stuck to the book with Eric and Sookie's first blood exchange. It was hilarious.

Eric and Sookie's dream was perfect to me. It was an introduction of the relationship yet to come. Where Eric gets to be himself. We also got to see the Eric we come to love in the dawn scene with Godric.

Godric meeting the sun was an such a great scene it was emotional but at the same time deep. I'm sad to see the actor who played Godric go. That actor was so good he could show so much complexity with so little screentime.

I'm happy to see an end to the Maryann thread. I dislike that whole plot line. It just seems so boring and not like anything that would happen. Don't you think the Hotshots residents would notice Maryann and if not do something tell the Schrevport weres.

I too cry whenever someone else cries. Its embarrassing, but it I think it shows that we have an empathetic heart so don't feel bad.

message 12: by Kenna (last edited Aug 20, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Kenna (kennas) Ugh, I was listening to my iPod and Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park came on and I was all like...omg thats Godric and almost cried and stuff. But the setting sun is the rising sun, of course.

I close both locks below the window
I close both blinds and turn away
Sometimes solutions aren't so simple
Sometimes good bye's the only way

And the sun will set for you
The sun will set for you
And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

In cards and flowers on your window
Your friends all plead for you to stay
Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple
Sometimes good bye's the only way
And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

SEE?! Eh, I love this song anyway.

message 13: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Meredith Barrons | 22 comments Wow! Last night's ep was soooo good! Finally some more Eric! I almost died when Sookie dreamed she was in bed with him! I loved the whole dialogue when they were in bed. It was classic Eric! Not to mention Alexander Skarsgard is the sexiest thing on earth! I thought her chemistry with Eric was way better than with Bill! I hate how they are using the blood bond as the only reason for her attraction to Eric! Although in the books Sookie is always saying that she doesn't know if she loves the real Eric or if it is their blood bond.... blah, blah, blah!

message 14: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I tought this was slow compared to last weeks. Sam Turned into a bug, Eric pulled his regular sneaky moves. Godrich burned into ashes. I kept myself awake just so I could see him burn.

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` I loved when Godric burned, so beautiful. When Eric asked sookie to suck the bullet out "I cant, its too gross and..its you". lol that whole scene was great, I had a stomach ache from laughing. By far my favourite episode from both seasons.

message 16: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments Sam turned into "a fly on the wall" Pretty darn handy - except doesn't Gran have a flyswatter in every room? Also, did you notice what Jason was watching on TV when Sookie came to his room? Hmmm...

message 17: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (spinner26) | 58 comments Naked Eric?? whoo hoo! More, please!

And why did it take Sam like a day to think of turning to a fly?

LOVED Lafayette in this one, too.

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison (helloarkansas) | 158 comments Michelle M. wrote: "However, I don't like that the show has made the blood link completely responsible for their sexual attraction. Puts the whole thing on such deceitful ground."

I thought that at first as well, but then I realized something: That would mean that Sookie's sexual attraction to Bill was a result of the blood that she took from him on their first encounter. Yea, initially she was curious and even intrigued but she didn't want to be with him at that time... not until after taking his blood. Maybe this will make Sookie rethink how she actually does feel about Bill (I mean, she's taken blood from him more than once by now so her emotions certainly aren't all her own). Maybe she'll question their relationship and, if she's smart, question whether Bill conned her just as Eric did (except in a MORE deceitful manner).

message 19: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (spinner26) | 58 comments ooohhhh....good point, Allison.

But I don't think she would figure that out.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (helloarkansas) | 158 comments Michelle M. wrote: "And gorgeous is right. Am I crazy, or was Alex looking even more good looking than usual? I think it was all the smiling and looks of adoration in bed. (Now THAT scene, I've watched three times already.)"

He looked so... human. It was strange. He was sincere, honest and vulnerable. It was actually kind of beautiful.

message 21: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Oh man the show has things so twisted around. Soon Sookie will be with Eric or a least be attracked to him. Then Bill will end up with Lorena. What a mess. Any body notice all the new vampire shows on TV. There is one called BloodRayne on SYFY. Much cooler than The Vampire Diaries which look way chessy. Also Rise:Blood Hunter.I missed that one and I dont know whether it was a SYFY film or a series.

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison (helloarkansas) | 158 comments Meredith919 wrote: "Wow! Last night's ep was soooo good! Finally some more Eric! I almost died when Sookie dreamed she was in bed with him! I loved the whole dialogue when they were in bed. It was classic Eric! ..."

Their chemistry IS way better! Almost perfect actually. It just looked right haha... well, as right as it can be.

message 23: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Allison, interesting point on the blood and Bill! I hadn't thought of that! He did do it because she was dying though, even if there could be ulterior motives.

You're right on the money with Eric looking "human" and it being kinda beautiful.

Cindy, what was Jason watching?!

message 24: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) I thought it was football...was I mistaken?

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Dirty Job's with Mike Rowe.

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The "Ostrich" episode;)

message 27: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Oh, I love that show! Mikes a hottie.

message 28: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Eric in bed with Sookie made me sit up straight. I knew it was just a dream or something to that effect.

HAHA at Bill socking Eric and Eric looking back at him like "it's done. get over it and move out of my way". I love that guy. My neice who is 14 likes the show too and was swooning over Eric as much as I was. I totally paused it and pumped my fist and screamed TEAM ERIC!! over and over again. I love how flirty and cute he was with her and yes, the chemistry is there. Glad to see it was Lorena doing the talking and not Sophie-Anne as I previously thought.

LOL @ Lafayette calling Maryanne a soulless bitch. And I'm sorry but that was funny when Tara said "vodka, whiskey, hairspray, antifreeze..." cuz Lettie Mae was nuts. I can't blame her for going batshit crazy on her either.

WTF did bullets come from if Luke BLEW everybody up?

The end with Eric begging Godric and Sookie watching was so sad! I had to rewind it. He was so believeable. That's his vampire dad, who wouldn't be in horrible pain with the thought of losing your dad to suicide?

I'm so proud of HOYT!! Didn't it take Hoyt forever to stand up to his mom in the book?

message 29: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Evangeline wrote: "Did you not think that this was the most heart wrenching and yet hilarious episode yet? I (I know, I'm a softy) cried when Eric cried. But I laughed out loud so many times with everyone's witty dia..."

lmao @ Sarah making fun of Steve's hair. That was hilarious. I'm glad a wedge is coming in between the both of them.

Nan Flanagan cracked me up when she told Eric don't talk to her that way. How old is she is where I started wondering about her. I'd love to know more about her!

message 30: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) The whole exchange between Sookie and Godric was amazing. He looked genuinely suprised at her crying for him. The way he burned was beautiful and the way he told her to take care of him was too. Aww, Godric. 2000 years is MORE than enough I'm sure.

message 31: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Cary wrote: " Oh man the show has things so twisted around. Soon Sookie will be with Eric or a least be attracked to him. Then Bill will end up with Lorena. What a mess. Any body notice all the new vampire show..."

Cary those are movies, not dramas. BloodRayne has the chick from Terminator 3 in it and Lucy Liu is in the Rise one. I kinda wanna see the Vamp Diaries only because Ian Somerhalder is playing a vamp. He's perfect!

message 32: by Aj (new)

Aj | 40 comments OMFG!!!!!!!!! i loved this episode....eric was hilarious!! i just didn't like the ending to it.....i wanted it to be a cliffhanger... not just a sad ending....i am mad that godric had to die!....but i can't wait till next week's episode! oh yea...and i just found out what that "thing" was that jessica was talkin about.....lol....does that mean she cant have sex??? or just babies...

message 33: by Cary (last edited Aug 17, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I think BloodRayne is a series. It was only an hour long and it was left unconcluded. If nothing else BloodRayne was a pilot. I sure hope so because it was one bad ass show set in the middle ages. They had all vampire shows on SYFY Sunday. The Dark Price which was the story of Vlad the Impaler was really good and pretty much historically correct.

message 34: by Aj (new)

Aj | 40 comments Cary wrote: " Oh man the show has things so twisted around. Soon Sookie will be with Eric or a least be attracked to him. Then Bill will end up with Lorena. What a mess. Any body notice all the new vampire show..."

sookie is already attracted to eric...and bill will never be wit lorena.....and i think vamp. diaries looks badass

message 35: by Kandice (last edited Aug 17, 2009 01:32PM) (new)

Kandice Aj wrote: "OMFG!!!!!!!!! i loved this episode....eric was hilarious!! i just didn't like the ending to it.....i wanted it to be a cliffhanger... not just a sad ending....i am mad that godric had to die!....bu..."

No vamp can become pregnant, so Jessica is not unique in that. Where she is unique is that each time she wakes she will be a virgin again, so the first time will be painful. I may be misunderstanding, and her hymen may grow back even between lovemaking sessions, but it seems more likely that for each night she will be a virgin for the first "penetration".

I would think that as a vamp, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It only hurts a minute, and she will be expecting it every time. For Hoyt, it may be Heaven on Earth!

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky | 93 comments nobody has mentioned yet the FIRST thing in the episode that ticked me off....right after the explosion eric TOLD bill to get the humans. i yelled out "thats such bullshit" when we were watching. thats another of the things bill did that started opening sookies eyes.

message 37: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Aj wrote: "OMFG!!!!!!!!! i loved this episode....eric was hilarious!! i just didn't like the ending to it.....i wanted it to be a cliffhanger... not just a sad ending....i am mad that godric had to die!....bu..."

She can have sex, it'll just be her first time every time and it's a given that she can't have babies.

message 38: by Aj (new)

Aj | 40 comments haha...ouch...

message 39: by Allison (new)

Allison (helloarkansas) | 158 comments Becky wrote: "nobody has mentioned yet the FIRST thing in the episode that ticked me off....right after the explosion eric TOLD bill to get the humans. i yelled out "thats such bullshit" when we were watching. t..."

Yea, I really got pissed off about that. I think that I may have something to the effect of, "What the hell? Of course! Of 'freakin course!"

message 40: by Aj (new)

Aj | 40 comments Becky wrote: "nobody has mentioned yet the FIRST thing in the episode that ticked me off....right after the explosion eric TOLD bill to get the humans. i yelled out "thats such bullshit" when we were watching. t..."

bill has to obey eric because he is the sheriff of bon temps...

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky | 93 comments Allison wrote: "Becky wrote: "nobody has mentioned yet the FIRST thing in the episode that ticked me off....right after the explosion eric TOLD bill to get the humans. i yelled out "thats such bullshit" when we we..."

yeah no doubt...i was like "it friggin figures.bill can do no wrong" *sighs* when will all the madness end? lol

message 42: by Cary (last edited Aug 17, 2009 02:06PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Aj wrote: "Cary wrote: " Oh man the show has things so twisted around. Soon Sookie will be with Eric or a least be attracked to him. Then Bill will end up with Lorena. What a mess. Any body notice all the new..." I think Vampire diaries looks lame. Sookie was not attracked ot Eric at all till he pulled his usual sneaky BS. At this moment Sookie is just confused. I so dug seeing Bill punch Eric right in the mouth, and Eric not do Jack. I hope your right about Bill not getting together with Lorena. Bill deserves much better.

message 43: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Super Bill strikes again.

Sigh.

Oh, the problem Cary is that in the books, Bill does not come back to check on Sookie. He goes hunting first without concern for whether she survived.

On the show, Bill does practically EVERYTHING the right way. His lack of ANY overwhelming faults is disturbing.

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I loved the episode. My favorite so far...probably because of all the Eric scenes....I think my mouth hung open for most of it! lol

message 45: by Meg (new)

Meg Myers (megmyersyahoocom) | 29 comments Speaking of Hoyts Mom... did anyone else see jessica biting her on the preview for next week... its got to be her or someone else is wearing that god ugly shirt.

message 46: by Siempre (last edited Aug 17, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments So I loved this episode. I found it terribly sad when Eric was begging Godric not to meet the sun. You kind of get a glimpse of the real Eric. I love how it was Sookie's dream that it was something in her that made her feel Eric is a faker with the tough guy bit. I think she realizes there is something different about him. I like how Lorena spoke on the previous episode about Bill's appetite. Lol I think that Godric wasn't so bad and maybe a little of that rubbed off on Eric. ;) Go Team Eric!

message 47: by I'amber (new)

I'amber (xiamberx) | 3 comments Michelle M. wrote: "Super Bill strikes again.

Sigh.

Oh, the problem Cary is that in the books, Bill does not come back to check on Sookie. He goes hunting first without concern for whether she survived.

On..."

Agreed.

And plus in the book he cheats on Sookie, not only that but h used her for the queen.

Can't wait till the other season and werewolf, Adice or something like that?

Urgh and the thing with Maryann is getting on my nerves >.<

message 48: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Ways I'd kill Maryanne

Chain her to a rock and throw her in a gator infested swamp.

Lock her in Merlots walk-in and turn down the temp. For a week.

Tie her up and give her to the goblin doctor to study. Bet she'd be mean with the torture. I know that its not really KILLING her perse, but its fun to watch her in pain.

Wonder if vampires would get a "trip" off of her blood like they do with Fairy blood?

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Tie her up and give her to the goblin doctor to study. Bet she'd be mean with the torture. I know that its not really KILLING her perse, but its fun to watch her in pain.

That's my favorite!!!! Good one, Kenna.

message 50: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments 1. I'm so happy I'm not the only one who cried during the Eric & Godric and/or Godric & Sookie scenes.

2. Eric is hotttttttt.

3. Bill looked vicious when he bit that FoS dude. I liked it.

4. I do love Lafayette for so many reasons. Even though I don't dislike Eggs, I was so happy Lafayette beat him down when he assumed he's a gf beater.

5. I still hate Maryanne and I really want them to hurry up and resolve all this. Sam=fly=genius!

6. Hoyt grew some more balls. He's almost seeming manly in the last 2 episodes. Hoyt's mama is a nutcase.

7. Loved, LOVED LOVEEEEEDDDD the discussion between the vampire spokeslady and the Newlins. Oh I wish they would turn Sarah. She'd be a badass and hot vampire and then she could totally kill Steve. It would rock.

8. Poor Jessica :(

9. Terry Bellefleur is so dang funny! Love the storyline with he and Arlene. Maybe Arlene won't turn into the psycho she does in the books. I hope not.

10. Andy Bellefleur....nuff said!

« previous 1 3 4